Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: think you had a bad trackday? (Baasinator)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Baasinator »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not bikes, but somebody had a much worse trackday experience today:

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4562562/detail.html

</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm amazed that atleast one owner (possibly) was actually using the car for what it was designed for ... serious pity about the death and I do hope it was not the innocent passenger

Offs happen and atleast they did not take out another road user ...
Pete

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: think you had a bad trackday? (PSk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PSk »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... serious pity about the death and I do hope it was not the innocent passenger

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unfortunately, they both died. In those pics it looks like they took a massive hit on the right side.

EDIT: For some reason, I really took interest in this story. I think it's because while I am quite familiar with people taking their sportbikes to trackdays, I hardly know anyone who takes their cars to road tracks for fun. These folks are not in my orbit, but it is nice to know that some people who buy these ultra expensive toys really get out and use them.

I found some forum discussions from the car groups that these guys belonged to. Sad deal for sure, man. But it sounds like they knew how to have a good time.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com...ber=1
http://www.6speedonline.com/fo...ber=1
http://www.ferrarichat.com/for...pp=20

Modified by Baasinator at 1:03 AM 6/3/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: think you had a bad trackday? (Baasinator)

Wow...... Those dudes are some high rollers. Sucks about the accident. Were the people wearing gear, and proper restraints? Pro car racers crash a lot, and walk away. I'm thinking they weren't seeing it was a private car club. Safety should be paramount to a track even if one private guy rents the whole track for a day. I see car clubs all the time on tracks with just baseball caps. A car that potent on a track needs the whole safety enchilada.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: think you had a bad trackday? (SP8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SP8 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow...... Those dudes are some high rollers. Sucks about the accident. Were the people wearing gear, and proper restraints? Pro car racers crash a lot, and walk away. I'm thinking they weren't seeing it was a private car club. Safety should be paramount to a track even if one private guy rents the whole track for a day. I see car clubs all the time on tracks with just baseball caps. A car that potent on a track needs the whole safety enchilada.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I believe it's mandatory for them to have helmets at least it was when I did it years ago with my car. Looks like the car impacted on the right side? It doesn't matter what you have on if you hit hard enough and jar your head inside the helmet! It's the deceleration that kills you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: think you had a bad trackday? (SP8)

I just thought about something. Does life insurance cover you if you die at a track event? His wife, and kid may be screwed if the driver was the sole provider. I'm sure he has major finacial debts, even if he could afford them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: think you had a bad trackday? (Sharp 999S)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sharp 999S »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I believe it's mandatory for them to have helmets at least it was when I did it years ago with my car. Looks like the car impacted on the right side? It doesn't matter what you have on if you hit hard enough and jar your head inside the helmet! It's the deceleration that kills you.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, from what I read they were wearing helmets (but no race harnesses or HANS devices) and they pancaked the wall with the right side at probably over 100mph. Apparently a Ferrari was flagged onto the course from the pits while this Porsche was coming down the straight at over 150mph. He lost control when he swerved to avoid it. They were using an infield-only configuration, so it didn't happen up on the banking.

With a sudden stop like that, I imagine you would suffer an Earnhardt-type injury if you had a helmet on without a HANS device. Well, I guess that would be among many inuries.

Bummer. The driver had a brand new baby and the passenger had only been married for a month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts