V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Where did all the money go??? did it get on bus and leave town??? nothing is
moving in the exotic motorcycle market... but I do have someone interested in
buying my RC30...

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
I think they meant they under-recovered by a fair margin - these were loss-leader bikes after all. Hell, if I had the money now, I'd SNAP up one of these bikes to sit in my den ....and then save for the new V-twin 1200 for the street and track. :)

·
Registered
409 Posts
Depreciation numbers has alot to do with the maintenance and after parts for this bike, cost a arm and two legs! Plus Stoners last two seasons and his departure, didn't help matters.

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
Just "investors" cutting their losses. Recovering any intrinsic value left in those heaps of scrap metal.:eek:

Would entertain the thought of one in the really low 30's though.:woot:

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
Just "investors" cutting their losses. Recovering any intrinsic value left in those heaps of scrap metal.:eek:

Would entertain the thought of one in the really low 30's though.:woot:

Jami also entertains the thought of owning an RC45...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
No strange coincidence.
The economy is getting worse, that's all.
If you remember when there was that catastrophic burst in Asia plenty of mint NR750 and RC30 turned up for sale, mostly from Japan and Thailand. Some were still in the original crate, never touched.
if you want to get scared looked how many are up for sale in Italy. :eek:

Ducati Desmosedici RR usate - Annunci usato Ducati - Moto.it

Yes, 14 bikes for sale on just one site (at 23:33 GMT +1 time, August 6 2010). And not a single one will be sold at that price, I guarantee that. Not even the one going for 38000€.

·
Subsonic Swine!
169 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Not surprising, exotics are subject to the normal 30% depreciation plus 10% per yr ever other bike is subject too despite the mystic. Sure they level off at some point and in rare cases appreciate but bikes like this are built at a loss in the first place. No way exotics in the bike or car world ever realize a major profit; the depreciation is too significant. Not surprising really.

Good point brought up about the maintenance. Don't forget the insurance. A friend has one in Ottawa, 1 ticket on his license and his insurance is $7,000 / yr! It now sits in his living room. :banghead

I'd love to own one and have considered it once they hit $50,000 but the insurance prohibits road riding and the chance of some yahoo taking me out on the track prohibits a track only toy. I'll sadly go for something more affordable and therefore more accessible. Where is the Husky 610e catalog. :cool:

·
Registered
651 Posts
You def have to have some coin to purchase/maintain/ride on of those things. Too many people just HAD to have one it seems, now the stars aren't in their eyes anymore.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You def have to have some coin to purchase/maintain/ride on of those things. Too many people just HAD to have one it seems, now the stars aren't in their eyes anymore.
I think that is a major part of what we are seeing. this was the "it" bike to have two years ago. Enthusiasts and non-enthusiasts alike bought them. I think fashion has moved on and there are a percentage of owners who bought them for status (rather than a custom harley or stretch turbo Busa). Now they are waiting for delivery of a 458 Italia and the red bike is taking up space in the garage.

There are also for certain guys who had the money two years ago but are hurting today and must part with the bike. Hard to say how many bikes are for sale because the owner wants it that way or he has little choice.

I would love to have one, even if it meant not being able to have other bikes or a nicer car. But at $40k (what I think one is worth today) they still have farther to fall. Maybe another $10k down to $30k. At $30k, you open up more buyers who could stretch to purchase one second-hand and will form a floor in values. If you compare say a Aprilia RSV4 factory with several goodies on it, it would be pushing $30k as well. No put-down for the Aprilia, but the two bikes seem hardly comparable.

IMO they will appreciate in nominal terms eventually, but will never be an investment. The parts prices are frightening, but then again that is what insurance is for if you ride on the street. Blwoing one up would likely result in a parted bike, but the parts sold individually are probably worth a pretty penny too.

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
the Desmo is a better conversation piece at Starbucks.... the Priller is the one i would rather spend my money on.

and between an 1198R and the Priller Factory would a tough one

·
Registered
806 Posts
Sooner or later i think Mid $30's will happen for sure...

Like the 08/09 1098R, you are starting to see them in the low $20's range..brand new is $29-30 at many dealerships.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Not surprising, exotics are subject to the normal 30% depreciation plus 10% per yr ever other bike is subject too despite the mystic. Sure they level off at some point and in rare cases appreciate but bikes like this are built at a loss in the first place. No way exotics in the bike or car world ever realize a major profit; the depreciation is too significant. Not surprising really.

Good point brought up about the maintenance. Don't forget the insurance. A friend has one in Ottawa, 1 ticket on his license and his insurance is $7,000 / yr! It now sits in his living room. :banghead

I'd love to own one and have considered it once they hit $50,000 but the insurance prohibits road riding and the chance of some yahoo taking me out on the track prohibits a track only toy. I'll sadly go for something more affordable and therefore more accessible. Where is the Husky 610e catalog. :cool:
Depreciation is what I am waiting for the HP2 Sport... ;)

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
All Desmocedicis came with a 3-year warranty and 3-year free maintenance, so most of these have until 2011 at least...snap em up NOW! :)

·
Registered
983 Posts
I love that bike for what it is. I don't care what it costs. Excess at its finest...and it's beautiful. Nastiest motorcycle you can buy.:notworthy

·
Registered
921 Posts
$45,000 in 2010 for a used desmo is probably equivalent to the RC45's exaggerated price years ago. I liked the RC45 but never understood the bloated price.
A used Desmo is a far better value than the "legendary" Honda V4.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
from a standpoint of performance only (not value, reliability, etc) which would be the better bike

the desmo or the bmw? any comparos or anyone have firsthand experience riding both the way they were built to be ridden, not babied

1 - 20 of 44 Posts