Speedzilla Forums banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts
So I had always been one to stick with Japanese bikes for their reliability and ease of ownership... And then I went got an Aprilia SXV 550 and the damn thing looks fantastic... Sounds great etc... BUT has been a complete pain in the ass to maintain and run.... I know I am painting with a really wide brush but if you want to spend more time riding and less worrying get the Suzuki or Kawasaki on your list.

My 2 paisas!
As a new SXV 550 owner, I concur completely. Most of the bikes on your list will bring a smile to your face, but if you're looking to insert gas in the tank, followed by key in the ignition, and know the bike is going to run, and run well, every time, I'd go with the GSXR.

I am DONE forgiving bikes for having "character." Anyone want to buy a low-mile SXV 550? :D

I don't think it's fair to compare a high output supermoto to a full sized sportbike with far greater oil capacity. Supermotos in general are high maintenance if you get a fast one. My CRF450R sumo was pure maintenance and was a Honda. Now compared to a Japanese bike I do agree the ease of maintenance won't be as high, but Ducati is not what they used to be when it comes to maintenance, an MV owner I knew put a ton of miles on his no problem and my buddy with the RSV4 Factory (and another guy I know with the R model) have had no issues and they ride the bikes properly. I know a 1198S owner who's got 17k of mostly track miles on the clock and it's just had one valve adjustment and regular oil changes. I hope the KTM is built to last.

I don't think it's fair to compare a high output supermoto to a full sized sportbike with far greater oil capacity. Supermotos in general are high maintenance if you get a fast one. My CRF450R sumo was pure maintenance and was a Honda. Now compared to a Japanese bike I do agree the ease of maintenance won't be as high, but Ducati is not what they used to be when it comes to maintenance, an MV owner I knew put a ton of miles on his no problem and my buddy with the RSV4 Factory (and another guy I know with the R model) have had no issues and they ride the bikes properly. I know a 1198S owner who's got 17k of mostly track miles on the clock and it's just had one valve adjustment and regular oil changes. I hope the KTM is built to last.
Agree, there's little value to such a comparison. Sport bike reliability is reall very good, inlcuding Ducati.

Ducatis in the past gained poor reputation before they refined the electronics systems (switched to Japanese in the '90s) and before they refined their desmo rocker system (issues with hardening process on the rockers). Other than poorly modified engines, with poorly selected parts, causing various issues in home or tuner-modified engines who really didn;t know better, Ducati motors are strong and reliable. Not Japanese reliable, no, but not the nightmare that so many remember from 20-30 years ago.

Unless you need to RELY on the bike as transportation (yeah, right!)...get the bike which makes you feel good, makes you smile, makes you want to walk into the garage at 1AM to look at her, make syou want to ride across half the country to attack a set of curves in the mountains, makes you want to ride hard and enjoy at trackdays, etc, etc.

None of these bikes are terrible. They are ALL superb machines. Get the one that you just LIKE.....it's an emotional purchase, after all. For this reason, ignore everything we all say here.....as it's a purely PERSONAL choice. :)

Any thought to the Triumph Daytona 675R (R version as it comes with all the high end Ohlins bits already).....
With the much better-looking MV F3 only being a a few hundred more (although w/o Ohlins), the Triumph might be a tough sell unless you are a serious trackday guy.

Gix 750

Those choices weigh heavy for sure, I would go with the 750 Gix. Best of both worlds. Not real pricey, parts are plentiful and not too little, not too big. I know the Gix might not be as exotic as the others, but you what your getting.......Japanese quality........bullet proof.:cool:

The GSX-R is cool, I used to have a 750 and rode the wheels off of it until I sold it. But it will never produce the smile and special feeling some of those others will. It's kind of like Nissan GT-R vs Ferrari 458. The GT-R may be almost as good at a fraction of the price, but the experience just isn't the same. Of course, this is only my take. Like Old Baldy says, unless you are racing and championships are your concern, the experience is largely emotional, so the one which brings a smile to your face is the right one. Whatever you get, you better post an in depth review and a bunch of pics!

As a new SXV 550 owner, I concur completely. Most of the bikes on your list will bring a smile to your face, but if you're looking to insert gas in the tank, followed by key in the ignition, and know the bike is going to run, and run well, every time, I'd go with the GSXR.

I am DONE forgiving bikes for having "character." Anyone want to buy a low-mile SXV 550? :D
If you buy his bike you are going to NEED to buy mine too for spares! :D

I agree with the emotional buy concept and get what makes you smile... I caution that the smile will turn upside down if the reliability becomes an issue.

^ So you guys don't recommend the SXV550 or are you just being facetious ? A dealer a few provinces away from me is offering new 2010's for $5K off MSRP and I'm considering it .

^ So you guys don't recommend the SXV550 or are you just being facetious ? A dealer a few provinces away from me is offering new 2010's for $5K off MSRP and I'm considering it .
I certainly wouldn't make it your only bike if you need that bike to work every time you walk into the garage. Is it fun to ride? HELL YES! Is it the ONLY bike I'm towing six hours to the track for a weekend of riding? No way.

All the bikes on your short list deliver amazing power and performance, at an envelope only the most serious racers can differentiate. Thus, give good weight to the subjective and emotion. Increasingly, overkill specs do little for me. I had a similar decision a couple of years ago when some were surprised I didn't pull the trigger for an S1000RR. That's because I found something that over delivers (for me) in every measure, including performance. The MV F4. If wired like me, this is the way I would lean.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.