Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weigh in my learned moto fiends. I'm buying and the top choices are these two.

Note: Canadian prices and I cannot buy the MV or Aprilia in the USA and import it. :mad:

2011 MV Agusta F4 ($20K) or the 2011 BMW S1000RR ($19,700) OTD.

MV is discounted by $2K; clearing out the 2011s qand I worked out a slight deal on the BMW. BMW has a 3 yr to the MVs 2 yr warranty.

I will do trackdays and road riding, sharing time with my other two non-sportbikes.

Other considerations:

2012 KTM RC8R ($22,000)
2012 Ducati Panigale ($24,000)
2011 GSXR 750 ($11900)
2010 GSXR 1000 ($12500)
2011 ZX10R ($14000- $15700)
2011 Aprilia RSV4 R APRC ($21,000) (I've got your vote already Larry :cool:)

Thanks.

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
I say go with the Panigale but you really can't go wrong with anything on that list!

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
Out of those two? The MV.

The BMW is probably better in nearly every measurable way.

But which one will make you smile more?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Get the MV. I can't see how you can really go too wrong here. You might be able to convince others the BMW is 'the best' of the two by quoting spec sheets or something, but you can't convince yourself unless you really think the BMW is that much better in function and even close in looks. Obviously you can afford it, so the 'cost of racing' and ownership argument is a moot point I assume.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
BMW, for no other reason after sale service is always there and tied with Honda in spare availability and warranty quality.
I know there are many people madly in love with the MV but I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. Heard too many bad things from dealers themselves.

Of the others: the Panigale looks sexy but I would wait a year or so. Never buy a completely new bike, no matter how reputable the manufacturer.
The Japanese are a sure bet: excellent bang for the buck as always and spares are not an issue.
Aprilia: sexy, has an incredible sound but at 1300 more than the BMW is just not worth it.
KTM: after what just happened to my best mate I would rather ride around in an H-D than get anywhere near an RC8. Let's just say it's no use building the ultimate track bike if you cannot even turn it on and KTM will take fifteen days to approve a warranty claim... :rolleyes:
And Mattinghofen is just 200 miles away.

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
It's already racing, look at the World Superstock results from the last two events...
I vote MV.

Then ZX-10R

Then BMW

Then Panigale

Once the Panigale starts racing next year this order could change though. :D

·
Registered
936 Posts
From my point of view your list contains apples, oranges, and pears so to speak.
You have lower priced value GSXR's and ZX 10 mixed with exotics, and bikes mid way between the two. For a track day bike with abundant parts and set up information, ride-ability and reliability, it is hard to beat the GSXR 750 (my choice for the track).
At the other end you have the Italian exotics, image bikes, with that intangible satisfaction of ownership for some folks.
In between you have the BMW and KTM. As capable as the others with their own "specialness".

For the track the 750 is way more than enough with the 1000's being too much for some riders and in some circumstances. The argument could be made the same applies to the street. Probably a 600 is more than enough for both street and track. Modern electronics mitigate this somewhat.

Bottom line buy what you like. Assess the dealer side of it and the OEM parts supply and after market support and pricing, or just go with the heart.

How about the new MV 675? I know it's not on the list but might be worth considering.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
So I had always been one to stick with Japanese bikes for their reliability and ease of ownership... And then I went got an Aprilia SXV 550 and the damn thing looks fantastic... Sounds great etc... BUT has been a complete pain in the ass to maintain and run.... I know I am painting with a really wide brush but if you want to spend more time riding and less worrying get the Suzuki or Kawasaki on your list.

My 2 paisas!

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
For me at least the RSV4 has replaced the MV as my attainable dream bike. Both check all the boxes on my mental list, but the Aprilia has that sound and real race heritage now.

The Panigale will be an incredible machine, especially the S model with the electronic suspension. In the US, we were not going to get optional ABS on the standard model but it looks to be imported as well. Not sure about Canada. However, I would probably wait a year with such a new machine. If for nothing else than to let the hype die down a bit and maybe be able to deal a little bit.

As for the GSXR/Ninja option, only if you cannot afford the others listed or if you like denying yourself what you really want.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Panigale followed by RC8R. I think you will be hard pressed to beat the Panigale, I really can't imagine what it must be like to ride. It will likely be the most soulful, joyful, quickest and coveted of the bunch. I've only ridden the RSV4 out of the bunch, it was a mean machine. I want an RC8R for myself, hoping I can find one in the next year or so with low miles and a decent price tag.

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
If wishes were V4s... Dale would ride... I think the man closes his wallet with a torque wrench...

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
why can't you import those machines? are they listed as non compliant in some way?
The MV's up until 2010 were not imported officially; some imported them but it seemed very hush hush how they did it. The importer, brought them in under a waiver of sorts, but they are still not appearing on the Transport Canada list of bikes eligible to import.

KTM is similar. They provide some test models to Transport Canada over the years but not every model per year making it a headache to import a KTM unless it reads exactly the right model year that Transport approved.

Not sure why the MV isn't on the list, my Husky isn"t either. I'm assuming it is the difference between an importer providing them to Transport Canada for certification versus the manufacturer. The importer gets the green flag to import and sell, but no one else gets the green light to import whereas a manufacturer certification would let anyone import one.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.