Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kindly provide some insight on take-offs because two sets of Pilot Powers every month for track days has reduced my nine year old's college fund to one year of community college!
Type? Cost? Availability?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Most of the time they are OK for the street, but you should look into cheaper tires for the track. You can't save money going 9/10's on spent tires, but you can switch to the $259 a set Dunlops and still go faster then on old, hard, worn take-offs.

Unless you know some pro who gives you them for dirt cheap w/ min laps on them. My girlfriend used to buy Disalvo's 125 slicks with two 8 lap races on them for $50 a set and I used to get Dunlops from the tire guy that were from testing. They would be marked "Bostrom - 18 laps" or "Roberts - 30 laps" and he would sell them to me for $100 and mount them for free. Those were the days!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (Eddie)

i have to agree. buying take-offs from Ebay, is like riding bare-back at the local whorehouse. you just don't know what you might get..... and then the burning starts..........

some guys sell their tires and say they were only heat cycles a few times, and they're shot. unless you know who you're getting them from......like eddie said.

some of those guys clean out the trash at tracks, taking what others have chucked, and for a good reason.

unless you can hook up with someone that uses a boat-load of tires and you know what you're getting, the cost of an eventual lowside will far outweigh the cost of new track rubber............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
take-offs are often good fro the street as most of the wear is on the edges leaving the center almost unworn, perfect for he street where you wear out the center and leave the sides almost prestine.

For the track you are using the sides same as race tires either find a less expensive track tire like the Diablos or Pilot Power or discontiuned race tire like the 208s rather than trying to get that last bit of traction out of a tire someone else thought was too worn out to ride on the track.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pilot powers should last you roughly 4-5 trackdays. I know alot of schools run them on their instructor bikes because of it, and you can run a race group pace on them no problem. I wouldn't try to push them really hard by like dicing or passing someone on DOT's but you can easily run a smooth race group pace on them. I have used a set for 2 trackdays now in race group and they are looking good. The instructor bikes for fasttrack riders use them and I believe Kevin Schwantz school uses them along with Freddie Spencer's school.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (JesseJames)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JesseJames »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pilot powers should last you roughly 4-5 trackdays... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Really??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (Rigor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rigor »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have to agree. buying take-offs from Ebay, is like riding bare-back at the local whorehouse. you just don't know what you might get..... and then the burning starts.........
</TD></TR></TABLE>

now thats some funny sh*t

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (Rigor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rigor »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have to agree. buying take-offs from Ebay, is like riding bare-back at the local whorehouse. you just don't know what you might get..... and then the burning starts.......... </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, and that goes double for front rotors. I bought a pair from some guy in Canada and they almost put me in the gravel when I grabbed my front brakes at the end of the front straight coming off pit road and, WTF, no brakes....they were just ever so slightly warped pushing the pistons back into the pots....ipso facto, no brakes until I frantically pumped them up and then it was the same thing going into the next corner....barely made it around back into the pits....tried to get my money back - fat chance.

As far as race takeoffs for the track.....I have a dim view of them from my early track days....actually not a winning proposition when they were "greasy" after one hard track day when I could get new tires and get almost three track days off them riding close to the front in intermediate class. Now, I would ONLY buy new tires and get all of my money's worth....and with luck sell them to a newbie for $75-80 and come out ahead. GO NEW.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: The Take on Take-offs? (socal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Kindly provide some insight on take-offs because two sets of Pilot Powers every month for track days has reduced my nine year old's college fund to one year of community college! </TD></TR></TABLE>

So just make her get a job after high school, and there's your tire budget right there!

I have no problem running take-offs on a street bike (hell, I used to put all my own race tires on my street bikes when I was done with them), but for track days? I don't think I'd do it if I didn't know where those tires were coming from. But living in L.A., surely you must know someone who races? If not, get to know someone who does, and make them a deal to buy their take-offs from them...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: The Take on Take-offs? (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So just make her get a job after high school, and there's your tire budget right there!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Excuuuuuse me????? AFTER high school? I had a paper route in 8th grade. You can buy a decent mower from Home Repo for $300. Mow ten yards at $30, break even and then it is almost all gravy....she can easily take home a $100 a day on both Saturday and Sunday....minus $20 gas and depreciation yields $180 net....give her $80 and you then have a cool $100 a weekend for tire and trackday money. Problem solved. Except if you "live" in Arizona where they use artificial turf for grass.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (socal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by socal »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Really??</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes they do, they really have new technology that gives them alot of grip, and great wear. The bizarre thing is when you set the pressure to 37 front and 38 rear. I could not get my head around this but it is true. Anyone who really knows this tire will tell you that. It is a softer carcass, it overheats when you run a standard 31/29 track setting. I have two trackdays on this set and I will try to take a pic for you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts