Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the first sign of old age is loss of memory, but I forgot the second one. I purchased a V Strom in November, and evey time I ride I think of selling my CBR. I rode dirt alot when I was younger, and all my steet bikes have been sport bikes until now. I don't know if it's the rainy weather or the fact that the CBR sat waiting for clip ons for a month, but I am losing the desire to ride it as much. I am currently only 1000 miles short of my total milage for all last year. I still enjoy riding my CBR, but I don't crave it. The fact is the DL is good enough to handle the twisties very well, and is actually more fun at a safer street speed. I find myself enjoy riding in the rain and the only thing I seem to desire when on the DL is a more dirt friendly mount. So what do I do? Should I sell my CBR, that I have finally got set up the way I like it, and replaces it with a dual sport? Or should I keep it and just enjoy it for what it is? I'm afraid that if I make this move I'll be kicking myself in the ass in a month. Maybe part of my problem is that I'm sick of the public perception of the so called crotch rockets, and the riders that help support the stereotypes. I put close to 500 miles on, in the rain, this weekend, and I only saw one sportbike out. This was this afternoon, a young couple both wearing tanktops and shorts, it was pouring rain at the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: The signs of aging (MNwilly)

Keep the CBR even if you only ride it 1k a year. Use it as a track day bike. I picked up a Ducati 999 this year and I'm looking at a Vstrom or Multistrada for next.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MNwilly »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I know the first sign of old age is loss of memory, but I forgot the second one. I purchased a V Strom in November, and evey time I ride I think of selling my CBR. I rode dirt alot when I was younger, and all my steet bikes have been sport bikes until now. I don't know if it's the rainy weather or the fact that the CBR sat waiting for clip ons for a month, but I am losing the desire to ride it as much. I am currently only 1000 miles short of my total milage for all last year. I still enjoy riding my CBR, but I don't crave it. The fact is the DL is good enough to handle the twisties very well, and is actually more fun at a safer street speed. I find myself enjoy riding in the rain and the only thing I seem to desire when on the DL is a more dirt friendly mount. So what do I do? Should I sell my CBR, that I have finally got set up the way I like it, and replaces it with a dual sport? Or should I keep it and just enjoy it for what it is? I'm afraid that if I make this move I'll be kicking myself in the ass in a month. Maybe part of my problem is that I'm sick of the public perception of the so called crotch rockets, and the riders that help support the stereotypes. I put close to 500 miles on, in the rain, this weekend, and I only saw one sportbike out. This was this afternoon, a young couple both wearing tanktops and shorts, it was pouring rain at the time.
</TD></TR></TABLE>i feel the same way about my situation, i have a 04 r1 race bike and an 03 999 track bike and i'm thinking about exchanging my 999 for a v-strom also,with all the easy financing for kids to get brand new sportbikes it has become a public perception problem for sure,you got to keep your cbr if you do have a v-strom, you'l need both.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I'm scared to ride bikes like the V Strom because I'm afraid I'll like them too much. I'm really curious about the Multistrada...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: The signs of aging (Rocket51)

Me too. I have to admit I bought the wrong bike. I like my 749, but...it's not a great streetbike.
If I knew than what I know now, I would have gone for the Multistrada 1000 with the Ohlins. It would be a natural fit for the roads around here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm scared to ride bikes like the V Strom because I'm afraid I'll like them too much. I'm really curious about the Multistrada...</TD></TR></TABLE>
That's true. For the first month I had the Strom I wasn't real happy with it. They have a couple issues tha need to be worked out, mainly FI problems. The bike ran like crap until I added a PCIII. The windscreen comes down to personal preference, but the adjustable screen on the 04+ is a joke. You can change the whole screen easier than adjusting it, no bs, you have to remove the screen then take out four more screws to adjust it. I have these issues fixed, and I can't stop riding it now. I commute every day, rain or shine, and I put on at least 300 miles on the weekend. I think the way it allows you to explore more roads is why I am leaning toward a dual sport for a second bike. Sorry for all the long posts, but this has really been bugging me lately. It's almost like I feel guilty for not riding the CBR. I have wanted a dual sport for a while, and had thought of adding one as a third ride. The problem is from my past experience any time I have three bikes at once one of them never gets out of the garage.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I haven't ridden much at all this year, I am always worried about getting speeding tickets on my R1. The police won't ever let you go if you're riding a sport bike, even if you're only going 10 over the limit. It's no fun for me to ride around at the speed limit, so I have been focusing on riding MX lately or at least watching my nephew race and helping him wrench on his bike.

We have had too much bad publicity lately when it comes to sport bikes, what with the infamous 205 MPH ticket and the jackass volunteer cop and his friends who ran from the police and then got caught. A safe and sensible rider won't get any breaks around here because of shit like that.

So now I am going to buy a bike to cruise/tour and I will be riding it to Laguna for the Moto GP race in a month. I am keeping the R1 but toning down the street riding for a little while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

You have been bitten by the V-Strom bug no turning back now.

Buy a Dual sport that is what I did, love it to!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm scared to ride bikes like the V Strom because I'm afraid I'll like them too much. I'm really curious about the Multistrada...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll tell ya as nice as I can, Multistrada = slow I've seen it 1st hand. A V-strom will eat it for lunch and the V-Strom is more robust...I mean more well built for extreme usage also seen that 1st hand. The Ducatis a is a ROAD bike 1st and foremost it will not take the beating even on a little gravel road. Not to mention it cost more save that money.

If I were to spend that kind of money I would buy the BMW GS before I would buy a Multistrada.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: The signs of aging (BALLS)

To each his own. I've finally sold off the last of my superbikes and have kept the multistrada because it does everything very well. Nothing perfectly, but everything very well, except dirt.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

if I had the money instead of the divorce papers
I would still have a 919 in the stable. I really miss having a good all around streetbike rather than a narrowly focused track tool, but I needed the full on liter sized sportbike to make up for my small penis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: The signs of aging (BALLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALLS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Ducatis a is a ROAD bike 1st and foremost it will not take the beating even on a little gravel road... I would buy the BMW GS before I would buy a Multistrada.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the Multistrada is NOT A DUAL SPORT!

the DS signifies 'dual sploogie'.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am craving a Strom as well. I will be keeping my GSXR1K but it will end up a track bike for most of the time.I am gettin to the point where I want comfort more than speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (TBONE)

I think I'm going to end up getting a dual sport, I may keep the CBR or I may wait and get a track only 600 or an SV maybe. Now I need to figure out wich one. I have been drooling over the DRZ400 for a while, but for some reason the more travel friendly KLR650 is always kicking me in the side. For those of you(BALLS) that have a DRZ how are the road manners? Is it capable of carrying gear for a weekend trip? On a positve note, I saw several sport bikes on the way home today, and all but the guy with the t shirt and fingerless glove were wearing gear. It was hot here today too.
Thanks for all your thoughts. If I do sell the penis enlarger it will be posted here first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (MNwilly)

DRZ is an okay road bike as long as they are backroads, the interstate is taxing on it, it is a 400 ya know.
I've camped off mine and rode it there about 60 miles from my house. It is a fun bike, if you get one get the larger tank, ditch the deathwing tires, grab a rear luggage rack for goodies, get some real handlebars in aluminum, decent handguards and your pretty much set. I like mine and have rode it on some pretty good adventures in a year, week in Big Bend, Texas, several trips to the eastern rockies
in Ga., Tn. and NC.

It will go 70 mph all day long on the highway but it gets thrown around in the wind bad and the seat is brutal. It's greatest potential is off-road, gravel roads and rough secondary roads it'll fly on those. They make a pretty good motard for street use also ECW sells a kit for about $1800 then you have the best of both worlds.

When I go rough I ride the DRZ when I want comfort I ride the V-Strom.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (MNwilly)

Balls do you have a motard setup.

The reason I ask is because I have a 03 drz kicker and I agree with you. With the dirt wheels, dirt gearing and stock fender that thing will throw you around the road with even a slight breeze. However when I bought the bike I had the dealer throw in a set of excel 17's with pilot powers and with those wheels, 15/44 gearing, and a rm 80 front fender its pretty solid on the road. I got the bike with the extra set of wheels and tires for 5 grand and spent another 75 on a horn, mirror, and brake light. Insurance is 24 bucks a month (it was 150 for my rc51) and registration is only like 50 a year. In twenty minutes I can swap between dirt or street. I dont think you can find a more versatile or fun bike then this for twice the price.

edit: I forgot to mention the gsxr750 track bike I have in my garage hasn't been ridden since I bought the drz back in jan/feb. I have as much fun on the drz for free as I do spending 150 bucks a day for tracktime on the gixxer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (seldom57)

Real signs of old age are someone like myself that will be 75 come mid-July. Both knees are shot, left hip is pain 24/7 due to the big rod holding it togeather, left ankle has pretty well given up & is so tricky that even getting off a street m/c is sometimes a bit of a challenge.

Obviously I can no longer ride dirt & that came about in winter of '89 when I did in my left hip with a home accident. Walking 10 minutes on a tread-mill is pure agony & I not only limp a great deal, but walking 5 blocks of a sidewalk are touch & go.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (seldom57)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seldom57 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Balls do you have a motard setup.

The reason I ask is because I have a 03 drz kicker and I agree with you. With the dirt wheels, dirt gearing and stock fender that thing will throw you around the road with even a slight breeze. However when I bought the bike I had the dealer throw in a set of excel 17's with pilot powers and with those wheels, 15/44 gearing, and a rm 80 front fender its pretty solid on the road. I got the bike with the extra set of wheels and tires for 5 grand and spent another 75 on a horn, mirror, and brake light. Insurance is 24 bucks a month (it was 150 for my rc51) and registration is only like 50 a year. In twenty minutes I can swap between dirt or street. I dont think you can find a more versatile or fun bike then this for twice the price.

edit: I forgot to mention the gsxr750 track bike I have in my garage hasn't been ridden since I bought the drz back in jan/feb. I have as much fun on the drz for free as I do spending 150 bucks a day for tracktime on the gixxer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No I have not bought the motard wheels yet mine is a '04 "S" model so it does pretty good on the street stock with knobs. My future plans include the ECW kit. I agree the bike is fun!! Yours is more fun I'm sure since your engine is the hotter setup verses my "S". I owned a "E" for a year and a half the engine in it would stomp this "S" hands down. Not to mention that kicker is way lighter than both the others.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts