Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little late for this thread but we might as well.

In Argentina today for FP2, Aleix Espagaro topped the time sheets.

I must say I'm really impressed with him and Suzuki's effort. They are running a top notch operation.

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
The big guys didn't even go out in FP1 to save their tires, and let everyone else clean the dirty track.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
Yes it's moving good to be down 15+ mph, must have some badass corner speed.

I know it sounds good! :D

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Man that tire choice was a gamble. I wonder why Honda did it.

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
Man that tire choice was a gamble. I wonder why Honda did it.
So, if it was the tire that let Marquez down, why didnt everyone else on the extra hard tire catch him too? Even Dovi was catching up....using the same tire as Marquez.

Excuses, Excuses.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
So, if it was the tire that let Marquez down, why didnt everyone else on the extra hard tire catch him too? Even Dovi was catching up....using the same tire as Marquez.

Excuses, Excuses.
Well, first of all, not everyone can ride like Marquez. Secondly, it was pretty clear that MM's (or his team's) strategy behind switching from the extra hard to the hard compound rear tire moments before the race began was for him to put the hammer down from the start and build an insurmountable lead over the rest of the pack. Obviously he failed to create a sufficient gap and no doubt cooked his tires a little trying to do so while the extra hard tires seemed to be at their best over the last half of the race. I think Mark had his fastest lap sometime in the first few laps while Valentino had his in the last few.

Rossi ran a fantastic race. Period. I watched the race with my Son and, being a Marquez fan, was shocked and pissed when they announced his last second tire change. I could see a justifiable reason for MM taking the risk if the Yamahas demonstrated a better race pace on the Extra Hards during practice but that simply wasn't the case. It seemed a greedy strategy at best and a poorly calculated risk at the worst. By lap 13 or 14, I told my Son that Rossi would probably be winning the race unless MM was just giving his tire a rest and managing his lead. A lap or three later, the outcome was a forgone conclusion in my eyes. For those of you who take pleasure in seeing Marquez fans suffer, you'll be happy to know that both my Son and I were enraged by his tire strategy and then by not accepting the reality of his situation and settling for an easy 2nd place finish.

Ultimately, Rossi rode brilliantly and deserved to win. Had he not crashed, I don't think Marquez would have been able to catch Rossi.

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
both my Son and I were enraged by his tire strategy.
Enraged? Dude, its just a race.

Also, Rossi turned faster laps later in the race than Marquez did early...so if Marquez cooked his softer tire early in the race, they why was Rossi able to go faster on a harder tire? Rossi set several fastest laps, and broke the lap record while Erasing Marquez's lead. Oh look, there goes the tire excuse out the window again. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I told my Son that Rossi would probably be winning the race unless MM was just giving his tire a rest and managing his lead.
Actually both of those things happened.

On one of the Moto GP feeds Marquez said that he actually backed off a little bit hoping that he would have enough tire left to hold Rossi off when he inevitably caught up. I am inclined to believe him since Rossi's clawed back 7 and 8 tenths per lap which was up from the 3 tenths per lap he was averaging.

That may also be why Marquez immediately tried to fight with Rossi when he got by. He thought he might have still had some tire left.

If he could have held Rossi to 3 tenth gains per lap, it would have likely come down to the wire. Either way, both his tire choice and strategy was poor. It happens.

Great ride by Rossi though.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Actually both of those things happened.

On one of the Moto GP feeds Marquez said that he actually backed off a little bit hoping that he would have enough tire left to hold Rossi off when he inevitably caught up. I am inclined to believe him since Rossi's clawed back 7 and 8 tenths per lap which was up from the 3 tenths per lap he was averaging.

That may also be why Marquez immediately tried to fight with Rossi when he got by. He thought he might have still had some tire left.

If he could have held Rossi to 3 tenth gains per lap, it would have likely come down to the wire. Either way, both his tire choice and strategy was poor. It happens.

Great ride by Rossi though.
Well said. However, even if Marquez had not binned it and had enough grip left to fight with Rossi until the finish line, I don't believe he was a match for Rossi on this day. Rossi's focus, rhythm, and racecraft were noticably superior to Marquez' who definitely seemed to have lost his composure and presence of mind. If he really felt he had enough grip left to battle Valentino to the finish, why else then the sloppy, ill-advised, and almost desperate looking attempt to retake the lead? Rossi clearly had the line and position on MM whose mistake was uncharacteristically rookie-like. Rossi had undeniable momentum over Marquez both physically and mentally. At this late stage of his career, I would have to say the Argentine round deserves consideration as one of his most impressive wins. I can't recall Jorge, or any other rider for that matter, ever chasing down MM and taking the win the way Rossi did this past Sunday. A truly superlative performance by the Doctor who definitely took the reigning champion to school.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
But wait, I thought Marquez was so good at crashing that he knew how to fall to minimize injuries over mere MotoGP mortals as well?

If he misses, will Stoner fill in?

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
bummer for the kid, though at his age he heals quickly. If it's at all possible he will ride, maybe not win, but will go for points.... it's a long season....

·
Street and Track Moderator
3,888 Posts
I'm with Latebraker, Rossi is now in MM's head...

1 - 20 of 196 Posts