Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the limit? Riders always talk about riding at the limit or finding the bike's limit. What limits how fast you go?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The limit is when you realise you're no longer in control of your motorcycle or your direction of travel.

It's usualy followed by a strange clenching sensation in your rectum and the most intense adrenaline rush.

I dont remember the rest.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: The Limit (Stuman)

My limit = common sense, and the fear of hearing plastic and metal grinding across the road. The bike's limit = I won't find it on the street, but all the rain here sure gives you a chance to feel sliding and spinning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stuman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is the limit? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It is that microsecond before earth - sky - earth - sky - earth - sky.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: The Limit (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
</TD></TR></TABLE>

LDH, is that you in the photo? That's a bad ass shot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: The Limit (Tifosi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tifosi »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

LDH, is that you in the photo? That's a bad ass shot
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks but you really shouldn't encourage me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am limited by the horsepower I have! I can't keep up with my friends on my 600rr but once I get my new 05 gixxer 1k THEN I will be able to keep up!

j/k!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: The Limit (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It is that microsecond before earth - sky - earth - sky - earth - sky.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Medevac! The limit for me is how big my Nads are and how much I have in the bank for covering replacement .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

The "limit" is when you or your equipment will not tolerate the execution of your strategy.

It's not the point at which things fail and people get hurt... it's the point at which following your current strategy stops being productive.

When I push the front tire badly on a corner exit, it doesn't end my race... it just indicates that my line, my pace, my technique, and my attention aren't lined up with my equipment to produce the result I want. That's crossing the limit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: The Limit (banda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by banda »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When I push the front tire badly on a corner exit, it doesn't end my race... it just indicates that my line, my pace, my technique, and my attention aren't lined up with my equipment to produce the result I want. That's crossing the limit. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said
That's exactly what I was thinking.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: The Limit (LDH)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LDH »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thanks but you really shouldn't encourage me
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good Lord. Another shot of LDH. You are shameless! At least we don't need to look at that ugly ass RC anymore!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stuman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What limits how fast you go?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Too much uncertainty going too much faster than I've ever gone before, whether it's corner entries, apexes or exits. That sinking feeling that I'm too far out of my comfort zone and I'm really not sure what will happen or if I'll be able to deal with it - and not getting the feedback I'm used to, or getting different feedback that I don't understand. Which is why taking small baby steps is so important.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: The Limit (JeffKoch)

99% of the time the "limit" is you (or whomever is riding).

I'm the slowest thing on my bike. The rest of it works great.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: The Limit (section8superbike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm the slowest thing on my bike. The rest of it works great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah right, I've seen you ride. I wish I was that slow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: The Limit (section8superbike)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by section8superbike »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">99% of the time the "limit" is you (or whomever is riding).

I'm the slowest thing on my bike. The rest of it works great.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no fair, you got all those lakes up there to ride around...all I got down here is red friggin lights! LOL

the limit... I tell my self there is a 95% chance I will never see the limits of my bike...only the limits of my ability.

Modified by sizmtrz at 11:19 PM 7/6/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: The Limit (sizmtrz)

The Limit in my case is a fluid component that changes and moves in a way that I can not put my finger on it.

On some days it is my confidence on the brakes. others it is a lean angle issue. Most of the time it is a constant reminder of my own mortality and the unbearable screaming inside my head that upon reflection appears to be emanating from my own fear that My wife will kick the living shit out of me if I crash again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: The Limit (sizmtrz)

The primary limitation to going fast is the rider's ability to process information and react appropriately. If a rider was good enough, he could theoretically slide (on a well set up bike) the front and rear perfectly in every corner while riding a perfect line from white line to white line, lap after lap... at any speed.

At that point, set-up imperfections would become the limting factor.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good stuff. I think that different riders have different limits... from an equipment/set-up perspective as well as the mental side. I sometimes hear Novice racers ask why THEY crash(ed)... when other racers are going a lot faster than they are and NOT crashing.

The faster a lesser experienced rider goes on the track, the sooner they will reach THEIR "limit" because their riding style/inputs are typically not conducive to being smooth... compromising tire adhesion and whatever set-up they have. Conversley, more seat time... practice... and listening to others continues to "increase" their own limit.

I'm in Cabo right now so I'm still a little buzzed. I'll be quiet now.

Modified by Tripod-R at 6:32 PM 7/6/2005

1 - 20 of 21 Posts