Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
im so ron-ry
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it took me over a year to realise that i lost the red key (2004 749s) and a mere 10 minutes to understand i have no clue where it is. am i es-screwed? can it be replaced? not even sure what it does.:mad:

hows about just the black key...easily replaced?

·
Registered
648 Posts
the red key is needed if you ever need to reprogram the keys or immobilisor. if you ever need to replace a dash say - you code the new one to the bike using a key coding procedure. the red key initiates that procedure, the blacks are just programmable keys that you can replace as needed - of course, that involves recoding all the keys you want to use at once using a keycoding procedure requiring the red key.

so, if you never replace the dash, never need to code a new black key or never need to code a new ecu to have the immobilisor work you're fine.

actually, i think it'll work if you do replace the dash, just that the immobilisor won't work and every time you turn the key on it'll start a key code procedure countdown. which you'll never be able to finish, but it won't actually stop you running the bike. i think.

that or you can replace the ignition switch (3 new keys), dash, ecu and get the fuel cap and seat locks mechanically recoded as required.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
brad black said:
actually, i think it'll work if you do replace the dash, just that the immobilisor won't work and every time you turn the key on it'll start a key code procedure countdown. which you'll never be able to finish, but it won't actually stop you running the bike. i think.

You are correct Brad:D

·
im so ron-ry
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
brad black said:
...so, if you never replace the dash, never need to code a new black key or never need to code a new ecu to have the immobilisor work you're fine...
guess i'd better keep a close eye on the one key i still have :wacky

schenks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts