Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And so the countdown to Laguna begins.

Some of these guys have never seen the Corkscrew. How big a role are those two corners going to play in the outcome of the race? Do the Americans know a fast way through?

Discuss.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (Rocket51)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Rocket51 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> How big a role are those two corners going to play in the outcome of the race?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm betting none. At the level these guys ride plus with all the practice and qualifying time they'll get, by race time it will be a non issue.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (Phil 998)

after a few laps ,,, it just might be really hard to get em off the track , because
it's a blast on two wheels or four

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (04749s)

All I want to know is, is there anyone we can contact who can put all those earthquakes on hold during Laguna weekend???

I'm really not a big fan of earthquakes, and I'd just as soon NOT have to experience one while we're all out there trying to have fun. So, whoever is in charge, please... Just stop it. Mmm'kay?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (AZ Scott)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All I want to know is, is there anyone we can contact who can put all those earthquakes on hold during Laguna weekend???

I'm really not a big fan of earthquakes, and I'd just as soon NOT have to experience one while we're all out there trying to have fun. So, whoever is in charge, please... Just stop it. Mmm'kay?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

In Greece we have a lot earthmilkshakes here in Texas i missed them (but didnt miss tornados
) so im looking forward* for a bit shaking in California

*(Not really, earthquakes SUCK big time specially if you are a few fit above the ground....
)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (Rocket51)

The riders who seem to remember that it's "Left, then Right" do better than the guys who mistake it for being "straight" or "Right, then Left".

As for the earthquakes.....a good one makes the boobies jiggle nicely.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (Buckelew)

The corkscrew is a little overtalked; first time I drove down it, it was

But the next lap, it's not all that bad ... what I'd be more curious to see, is how they handle the exit out of the corkscrew and the descent into Rainey - that's the kicker, IMHO. Especially if you consider their lean angle at exit of the 'screw and the acceleration that these bikes are capable of.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am looking forward to watching them rip through it. Trick to the corkscrew is what line would water take through it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (TBONE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TBONE »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am looking forward to watching them rip through it. Trick to the corkscrew is what line would water take through it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It actually stays pretty dry; I've been to Laguna a few times and one of them was during a rainy day. The corkscrew itself is pretty dry becuase the water doesn't pool on it due to its shape; it runs down toward the rainy curve and collects at the apex of T10 - the curbing at Laguna gets slippery as shit in the rain though, you want to keep far away from that ... it's pure ice.

The weird thing about the wet line at laguna, before they moved the bridge, is that the apex of the Rainey curve would be dry because the bridge covered it, so you'd bomb into Rainey, find this great patch of dry for an instant and then be slippin' again all the way down to T10. Fun stuff.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (hubert)

Hey Hubert, that's what I think too. I'm just a track-day rider there (4 of them at Laguna) but turn 7 , approaching the corkscrew-a blind crest atop Rahal strait with a very short braking zone before 8-A puckers me more than the Corkscrew. Turn 1, also a blind crest, gets my eyes big too cause if you roll off the trottle before you crest everybody and their dog will pass you on the entry to Andretti Hairpin so you gotta hold it full pin over the top while leaning. Kinda fun really, but took some getting used to.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (hairball)

Hairball, you're right. I'd be more worried about the approach to the 'screw and the braking zone (especially under braking) than I would the 'screw itself. If you snake your way up the Rahal straight, and go left and then right, it spits you out right onto that first strip of curbing at the crest of the hill, and you're on the brakes right then. In the wet, that can be pretty scary.

T1? I just gas it an pray that it sticks.

I love Laguna, just wish I could run my louder appliances there ... hate getting meatballed by the noise police.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (900CR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 900CR »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hubert, what kinda times you turning at LS?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Rob, I've only run Seca on 4 wheels ... 1.57 in the wet via AMB transponder.

High 1.40s in the dry on r compounds. The car has 160 hp and weighs 3000# w/ me in it and wet.

Havent run the bike there yet ... any 2 wheeled days coming up?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (hubert)

I think there are a few late fall... Keigwin's has on for sure in December, but the weather can be iffy that late. MotoGP really squished the schedule this year due to the renovations.

Riding Laguna in the rain on two-wheels is a 'real' treat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (900CR)

I drove all the way from Houston, Tx to do a Keith Code class at Laguna. It rained on the outlap. Turn two was the scariest to me. It cleared up after lunch, and it turned out to be the best track experience I've had yet. (untill my rear got chewed up) I love that track!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: The Corkscrew (AZ Scott)

Earthquakes? I rarely feel 'em. You may think there's an earthquake each time those MotoGP bikes roar past!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.