Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, I have given Mr V4 as much benefit of teh doubt as I possibly can. I used to think he was just an "old" man who loves the RC45.
The more I spend time on this forum the more I am starting to realize that he shares a lot with what I consider is the most attention loving-self loving-morbidly self involved person I know (Jimmy540i).
Its becoming clear to me that Mr V4 not only loves his bike (which we all do) he actually thinks his "products" is SO much superior to all and he doesnt miss any oppertunity to mention just that, in many cases he starts a thread ONLY to later attempt to rant on and on about the same old V$ better-than-all rhetoric.
Does he think he is making freinds by telling everyone they were STUPID not to buy a V4? (yes he hasn't said that out loud by every one of his thousands of posts is aimed at making that point)
Does anyone know this person in real life? Is he on medication? Did he suffer a personal Loss in life?
Has no one told Mr V4 that it doesnt matter what you ride, its how you ride it?

Rant over

·
2,737 Posts
Fester is a retired guy that is totally bored and fixated on his past. Maybe they can buddy up. Jimmy lives in Diamond Bar. Fester is in la la land.

·
Registered
409 Posts
You know, I have given Mr V4 as much benefit of teh doubt as I possibly can. I used to think he was just an "old" man who loves the RC45.
The more I spend time on this forum the more I am starting to realize that he shares a lot with what I consider is the most attention loving-self loving-morbidly self involved person I know (Jimmy540i).
Its becoming clear to me that Mr V4 not only loves his bike (which we all do) he actually thinks his "products" is SO much superior to all and he doesnt miss any oppertunity to mention just that, in many cases he starts a thread ONLY to later attempt to rant on and on about the same old V$ better-than-all rhetoric.

Rant over
So why start a thread about them? You did the same thing in the Superbike section. Why draw attention to people you feel are trolling for attention?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So why start a thread about them? You did the same thing in the Superbike section. Why draw attention to people you feel are trolling for attention?
You have a point, I guess I got sick of returning to the forum every 2-3 days and all I see is posts by Mr V4 on teh same old subject, over and over

·
Registered
936 Posts
Might as well start a thread, why not? Larry jacks every thread he can and then turns it into a V4 rant. He seems to have a particular hard on for Suzuki, can't understand why. I get suckered in like many other members here. Jimmy was actually more entertaining IMO. He would start his own "look at me threads". A person could, in some way, feel bad for Jimmy. So clueless and trying so hard to be knowledgeable. Larry just ruins threads and ends what could be interesting discussions on topics like "New Suzukis" and countless others. I guess one could view Larry as a crazy old uncle that needs humoring. That would be the case if he would start his own threads (which he sometimes does) consistently to discuss his interest in the old RC45. It shows a complete lack of courtesy to jack threads and turn them into V4 nonsense. I think Larry actually believes that when he meets Honda executives and race engineers at events they listen to his invaluable input on the merits of the V4. He might even have deluded himself into thinking he is part of HRC and somehow partly responsible for their Moto GP effort.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Might as well start a thread, why not? Larry jacks every thread he can and then turns it into a V4 rant. He seems to have a particular hard on for Suzuki, can't understand why. I get suckered in like many other members here. Jimmy was actually more entertaining IMO. He would start his own "look at me threads". A person could, in some way, feel bad for Jimmy. So clueless and trying so hard to be knowledgeable. Larry just ruins threads and ends what could be interesting discussions on topics like "New Suzukis" and countless others. I guess one could view Larry as a crazy old uncle that needs humoring. That would be the case if he would start his own threads (which he sometimes does) consistently to discuss his interest in the old RC45. It shows a complete lack of courtesy to jack threads and turn them into V4 nonsense. I think Larry actually believes that when he meets Honda executives and race engineers at events they listen to his invaluable input on the merits of the V4. He might even have deluded himself into thinking he is part of HRC and somehow partly responsible for their Moto GP effort.
LOL..well said

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
Larry appears to have a large base of knowledge about many types of bikes, not just V4s. But he chooses to only extoll the V4.

I don't know if he really believes they are the one and only best configuration for all bikes, or if he is having fun watching people get a rise from his neverending comments. It has never risen to the point of anger with me in regards to his posts, although obviously others may have stronger reactions than I do.

Everyone is different and I guess he pushes their buttons more, while other posters push mine. mrgrn annoys me 1000% more than BLS does.

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
I am of two minds on this:

I have rode at least five different models of Honda 90 degree V4 machine, and I liked every one of them, mostly for their engine characteristics. Whether that's engine architecture or just Honda engineering polish, I'm not sure. I can totally understand why someone would be enthusiastic about them, and I haven't had the opportunity to ride an RC30 or a RC45, but I wouldn't pass it up if offered. I bet they are pleasing bikes.

I don't really mind Larry's routine. It's a bit like the "that's what she said" meme on the Office - it's not funny by itself, but funny because it can be used over and over again, and everyone can tell when it's coming. It's a running gag, and sometimes, those are enjoyable.

Where it falls down is when it gets forced into a pause where it doesn't belong - like when no one is talking about motors. When that happens, it's like if someone blurted out "that's what she said" after everything that anyone said, regardless of whether it fits, or is funny in the situation. That is, in fact, annoying.

I don't dislike Larry. I don't dislke V4s. I don't dislike the V4 mantra when it fits. I hope he keeps talking V4s. If (and this is highly unlikely) Larry was silenced, driven from the board, I and a few other people would take up his slack and post V4 comments in his place, where it made sense, because like it or not, it's part of the Speedzilla culture, like asking "Can I ride it", saying "I can save it", "smoth lik cofee tabl", and "they should have a race class for those". These are our inside jokes. These are the background for our community that make us different from other collections of punks with bikes and keyboards.

Sure Larry can keep it funnier by using it less. But I would be sad if it went away.

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
and I take issue with comparing Larry to Jimmy540i -

Jimmy was/is a jerk and a crook - selling questionable vehicle lighting and astroturfing his seller feedback on the internet. And from all appearances, Jimmy couldn't ride. He was a privileged show-off, who can only enjoy nice machinery by being seen in its presence.

Larry is a real rider with a real life, and no intention of swindling anyone. I could give a rat's ass if Jimmy lived or died, but Larry is someone who adds to the sport and the culture instead of leeching off it.

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
and I take issue with comparing Larry to Jimmy540i

Larry is a real rider with a real life, and no intention of swindling anyone. I could give a rat's ass if Jimmy lived or died, but Larry is someone who adds to the sport and the culture instead of leeching off it.

great stuff:clapper

Larry is one of the few reasons i come here anymore

the whole forum is banter and lounge and larry is one of the few who even bother to post relating to bikes and bikers even if it is v4 stuff

pretty sad the trolls who offer no bike related stuff want the single biggest bike related member now to leave:wtf

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
I agree with Burns. I think that if Larry lived around the corner, he and I would hang out occasionally, almost certainly ride together (assuming I finally have the old Duc back together), and may even become friends.

I very much admire his machinist skills, and he build really cool stuff. I GET his love for the RCxx, and the V-4 motor (it probably is not much more than my own affection for tthe V-twin).

BUT...Larry is given way too much latitude to junk threads by going totally off topic. We are all guilty of board etiquette breaches, but Larry takes this to a whole other dimension. I know plenty of Boards where he would have been warned and then banned, because of this bad behavior.
It's simply bad manners...and this is the surprising thing for me.

One thing is for certain...there IS a solution to all of this, for those to whom this is important. It's very, VERY easy.

Simply don't respond to his posts.

Don't read his stuff, don't answer and don't quote him.

..and ALSO don't bait or post to get a rise out of him (which in itself is being somewhat of a troll).

Place him on Ignore if you must (as I have done, because I was so irritated with the constant off-topic, repetitive, irrelevant, out-dated and misunderstood stuff being sprouted endlesses in cirtually every thread).

When everyone who is pissed-off with him (for displaying such endless bad behavior) simply ignores him.....he has no audience to continue the BS.

Problem solved.

With no moderation/administration on this board for this kind of stuff, it's really all up to YOU, to reduce the off-topic BS.

I finally learned my own lesson on this....and it's been a pleasure to simply totally ignore the BS. I wish this wasn't necessary, because I do miss the few good posts and the pics of his very cool stuff he makes, but for me....this is the best way to avoid the irritation of bad manners.

You won't believe how much less cluttered the threads become, with a few judicious "Ignores" setup! The 3 that I have setup probably reduce the utter BS, boring, crap by at least 75% :)

·
Registered
936 Posts
Good advice. I too see Larry as someone I could hang out and ride with. He has a a lot to offer but the bad manners, lack of consideration, and the internet equivalent of constant interrupting is so over the top for no good reason. Why not use the years of experience to contribute to the thread and topic at hand instead of the constant harping on the V4 uber alles theme.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Use the Ignore feature. All the baiting and threads are just as bad. A lot of people complain about the thread hijacks, but the same people bait him even when he hasn't hijacked a thread (which is itself a thread hijack). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4 Posts
For awhile I have checked in on this forum to see what's being posted and discussed. This is my first time posting on speedzilla and I'd like to say a few things about Larry. I don't how many of you Larry bashers have actually met him but I have known him since 1976 when we served together in the Air Force. He taught me how to ride my first dirt bike. At the time he had a street converted Husky 250. He has ALWAYS been one of my best friends. He is extremely talented with his machine work and is always willing to put out 100% effort to help me with any project I come to him with. Yes, he can be tunnel visioned but that's what makes Larry so good at what he does. He won't settle for doing anything half assed. Once he spent hours of his own time helping me develope a camera mount for my 900RR so I could try and get an on bike videoing business off the ground. The mount he developed was very trick and worked perfect. He didn't ask for anything in return. Good guy, big heart. I have ridden all the bikes he has owned since the mid '80s and they have all been very trick. The RC45 is beyond fun to ride. I get so annoyed at the same old posters slinging the same old shit about Larry. Some day he may not be around and the world will be short one very talented individual both in his thinking outside the box and his ability to ride a motorcycle. I hope you guys can just grow the hell up and get a life. Enough said, let the responses begin.

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
I hope you guys can just grow the hell up and get a life. Enough said, let the responses begin.
Ya know....I can understand your view, as I think Larry is a cool guy in so many ways, but unless Larry himself recognizes that his own attitude and lack of posting etiquette on this board is what is rubbing so many folks the wrong way......unfortunately, he deserves much of this frustration.

·
Subsonic Swine!
169 Posts
I don't understand why so many get upset about Larry's posts. If he is obsessed about V4s, so what?
I must agree! Usually informative and occasionally hilarious. :woot:

Post away, Larry.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts