Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That smiley is cool for the topic icon.. anyways on the subject i wanna talk about.. seems alot of u guys are all about the sports bikes and not cruisers..i like how the sports bikes look no doubt.. but i love the sound of cruiser.. that rumblin sound.. haha anyways.... give me some input on some cruiser that would be good for me.. if u didnt read my other post.. im new to motorcycles.. lookin for a nice bike.. not a new one.. a few years old or so.. 5k to spend.. and im 6'2 230.. someone said that they were 6'5 240 so.. im guessing the more stocky i shall say bog down the engine.. i guess thats common sense heh.. but.. anyways. tell me what u think thats good.. somethin that u guys have once ridden or heard of that was good for a beg. bike.. thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Thanks for ur input now.. i want ur thoughts on cruisers (Polk)

in my 10 or so years of wrenching on bikes, this is how the cruisers stack up in my opinion:

Honda: by far the best made, easiest to maintain, and best fit and finish.

Kawasaki: still good bikes, but not quite up there with the hondas, avoid the vulcan 750

Suzuki: dont get me started, suzuki's cruiser design staff is on crack or something...the bikes are overcomplicated and not too fun to wrench on (especially avoid the 800cc models)

Yamaha: in contrast to suzuki's cruiser dept, yamaha's retired in 1985 I think, they just have some stylists hang new bodywork on the bikes and new covers on the motor, they are all the same crappy viragos underneath all that chromed plastic. You want to avoid the 1100cc models with a vengance, as they require removal of the entire exhaust system just to change the oil filter

Harley: if you want a tractor, buy a john deere

Victory: havent messed with these much, they seem to be ok bikes now that they got their initial teething issues out of the way

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Thanks for ur input now.. i want ur thoughts on cruisers (Dezmo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dezmo »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Harley: if you want a tractor, buy a john deere</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks buddy, you just made my day!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Thanks for ur input now.. i want ur thoughts on cruisers (RC BS)

A cruiser's a fun bike for like the first few months, maybe a year. The fact that it's a grandfather of a bike just pisses me off. A cruiser just blows monkeys as an everyday bike, as a long distance bike, as a I-need-to-ride bike. A chopper can fulfill momentary flashes (literally) of bike-need, but it's completely a runway model, in my opinion. In terms of 'cool', cruisers are like those 45 year olds going to casual day Fridays wearing their Star Trek pants, boots and shirt, supplied with a Dr. 'Bones' McCoy lunchbox and a plastic water phaser. Choppers can be great looking eye candy, but my sense of value for a custom bike means it rides, handles, works as good as it looks. A $60k chopper, what the hell, I'm sure the owner doesn't give a damn what I think, let him ride and enjoy it! It's his ride. I just think it's kitsch. If we were to discuss engineering qualities, this post might get 1,900,000 views and 1,000,000 posts by all the upset cruiser folk who are just pissed off that their bikes are the engineering equivalent of burnt toast or an 8-track player.

They need to be beaten down by sport tourers, sport bikes, standards, and bikes that one can ride from here to Canada and back, such as multi-purpose bikes. The cruiser is just an easy, lousy meal, the fast food of motorcycles.

I heard a newly crowned cruiser owner (newbie on a Honda Shadow) say the following, "Well, cruisers are meant to be ridden without helmets actually..."

Oh-kay, there. And mountains are to be climbed without rope? It's safety gear.

Anyway, I don't mind cruisers, and I've owned one. To my temperment, and way of thinking, they're just yesterday's pork sandwich, err, sausage mcmuffin (as Harley/McDonalds would have it).

Modified by 996miami at 10:07 AM 3/6/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Thanks for ur input now.. i want ur thoughts on cruisers (Polk)

Well.......... I have both and here is how they stack up for me. I have owned my Suzuki Intruder since I bought it new off the showroom floor in 1987..... 71,500 miles later the only thing that's been replaced on a regular basis has been fork seals and batteries other than that this bike is going to take me to 100,000 without any major work. This bike has cruised the entire East coast & Mid West and is now on it's second overseas tour with me. It has taken me through Germany, Austria and Italy without a hick-up. Since I bought my Ducati 2 years ago I don't ride the intruder as much and it's become a father & son bike for me and my boy who is now old enough to ride with me, as much as I want to ride my Ducati to the Ilse of Man this year I might take the intruder so I can take my son.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am keeping an eye out for a crashed Yamaha Warrior. I think that those are pretty tuff looking.

I rode a V-rod for a weekend and if they cost $5000 rather then $18000, I would have one right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts