Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you to those considerate motorists that warned me that I was approaching a speed trap this morning. Two cage drivers and a GSXR rider all flashed lights and signaled that there was a surprise waiting for me on the other side of the hill.

I wasn't actually speeding, but I do appreciate that they were looking to save me from losing a couple hundred bucks.

Do drivers/riders do this in your area? This is actually pretty uncommon around here.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
Yep, no shortage of retards on our roads, but it sure is nice to come across some decent folks like the ones you met. Kudos to them and to you for posting :)

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
All bikes do it around here, not only for speed traps but for any other "road hazard" (like the usual exhausts/mirrors/indicators checkpoint ;)).

·
Stares at Goats
81 Posts
What sucks is that, at least around here, if a cop sees someone flashing their lights to warn other motorists of a speed trap, they get pulled over and cited. Gotta love cops (and yes, I know for a fact that there are a few cool cops out there; I've met all three of them ;))

·
Big Member
169 Posts
One day I was speeding on the I5 near Camp Pendleton and as I approached a p/up truck, he started flashing his hazards. Lo and behold, there was the LEO several car lengths in front of him. I thought that was pretty cool. Here in Cali, cagers and Harleys never never warn but sport riders always do. Back home in Hawaii people always warned you of cops up ahead, cager or biker.

·
Registered
531 Posts
There is a few good people around here. I always flash lights or stick my had out the window. Same goes for when I'm riding.

madwelder thanks for the link, that is awesome:clapper

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Here in the Bay Area, the ONLY peeps to warn you are other bikes (but NEVER Hardleys, and almost never BMW's) The usual heads up is the trusty "helmet tap". I often see the little fooks hiding behind buildings and trees when riding to work, and I give THEM the helmet tap to show I see 'em, they usually just shake their head in disgust.......:D

Semper Fi! :rockon

-Rocky-

·
Ducatilicious
2,425 Posts
In the Motor City, most do not flash their lights to warn speeders. I've experienced this phenom mostly in rural areas. I've been saved this way in my youth and probably have saved a few good people in return. Though, what if.. let's say you're warning somone that a police officer is ahead, and you've got no idea that the person you're warning is drunk with a bottle of gin between his/her legs and goes on to T-bone a minivan full of kids....or that person just beat their spouse to death and is fleeing the scene. Either way, you could be helping Joe blue collar from an added expense to a tough life or you could be helping Joe murderer get away with.. well murder.

The way I see it now at my age, if you're speeding/breaking the law, you damn well know you are and should be willing to accept the consequences if your caught.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here in carolina everyone used to, now about a fourth of the people do. I came up with the idea of making and selling the (carolina fuzzbuster) a white sign with the words "radar ahead". It would be attached to the passenger sunvisor and you could flip it down when you saw a speed trap. Some jackass would ride with it down all the time though

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Many years ago when I was in my twenty's a cop parked just passed my parents house and over a blind brow.

I stood on the side of the road waving down cars and bikes until he left :D ... took like 1/2 an hour. I got plenty of thumbs up from cars and bikes.

A most useful 1/2 an hour for me. And before some do-goodie has a go at me this road was not dangerous at all and he would have ended up booking people for like 5 km/h over, when he should have been out there ticketing bad drivers for important things.
Pete

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Counterpoint:

A big "F you" to the inconsiderate drivers who crossed lanes and honked their horns in impotent rage as I lanesplit on my way home tonight. If you can't figure out why the guy on the motorcycle would cut between the motionless cars in rush hour traffic during a howling thunderstorm, then I don't really give a shit what your opinion is, because you're a self obsessed simpleton.

Not that your honking and swerving did any good... I made it home soaking wet and cold, but I beat you by 20 minutes, f$#kers.

·
Registered
342 Posts
In the Motor City, most do not flash their lights to warn speeders. I've experienced this phenom mostly in rural areas. I've been saved this way in my youth and probably have saved a few good people in return. Though, what if.. let's say you're warning somone that a police officer is ahead, and you've got no idea that the person you're warning is drunk with a bottle of gin between his/her legs and goes on to T-bone a minivan full of kids....or that person just beat their spouse to death and is fleeing the scene. Either way, you could be helping Joe blue collar from an added expense to a tough life or you could be helping Joe murderer get away with.. well murder.

The way I see it now at my age, if you're speeding/breaking the law, you damn well know you are and should be willing to accept the consequences if your caught.

They quoted that exact same thing in my driver's ed class 10 years ago

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Flashing lights or a helmet tap are common here in rural Ontario , Canada . But this doesn't mean cagers have respect for bikers ... it's the wild wild west out there:banghead . Banda , you're the man !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts