Speedzilla Forums banner

Thank you to all you A-holes in Cali.....

4K views 49 replies 28 participants last post by  Area 51 
#1 ·
let me explain....

I ride a Harley Ultra Classic (full dresser) almost everyday to and from work, Ive put 19K miles in 2 years so far while also driving my truck at times. I use a set of slip on mufflers on my bike that are MAYBE 5% louder than the pipes that come with it stock. I have them because the bike runs nicer, get better MPGs and it doesn't sound like a Jetsons flying car (you know, the chirping thing). THey are not loud by any stretch of the imagination.

here in LA we have A LOT, i mean A LOT of motorcyclist.

The great majority ride sportbikes around causing no problems, then after that id say there a lot of messenger type bikes...you know the type, FZ1s with a huge trunk and lots of reflective tape, no biggy. Then third would be the cruisers (Harleys and Metrics) which majority are guys that ride the things on a daily basis to a from work (like me) or out on a slow Sunday cruise to wherever.

great!

Now, the problem is with not a select few that make it a point to act like assholes on the roads of LA, and im sure all over SoCal, to the point hat cagers hate all motorcyclist, and in turn i hate them more than they do....the assholes, not all motorcyclist.

these dickwads abuse the law that allows for us to share the lane with cars (split traffic) and the huge amount of canyon roads that happen to be amongst lots of houses and business.

But thats not the biggest problem;
When splitting traffic, these should-have-been-a-blow-jobs split lanes by cranking their sportbikes til the rev limiter hits the roof or until they're Harley pipes catch fire in order to get cars attention so that hey can squeeze themselves through the huge opening thats there already, but they cant do it because they have no clue how to ride a bike.
Im behind these condom slips on my frikking Harley Ultra Classic full bagger! splitting traffic EASILY without annoying anyone at all, while they have to stop at every other car at rev them out of the way to continue.
Nevermind that splitting traffic is a privilege given to us...these donkey dicks go around acting as if they own the road and how dare cars don't give them a 15' foot gap to squeeze in between!!

The other kind of dickwad is the one that thinks the local canyon carved through residential neighborhoods in SoCAl (they're everywhere) are their own private raceway. They go around sprinting from straight to straight, parking it at every turn so that they can go around it without crashing, and nailing the gas again on the straight....you know, a ****ing squid.

these would all be fine and dandy if thats all they did and they crashed out of everyones way eventually, but!
Both of these conceived-with-weak-spearm darwin-not-working examples tend to use the loudest possible pipes they can find, because they think this makes an excellent matting call or something.

The problem? California is sick of it and now were all gonna have to wear stock pipes from now on, if they pass this shit, which from the looks of it, it will. Why? because every one that drives a car is for it.....and thats a lot of cars vs motorcyclist here in Cali.

end rant......

PS, **** you guys with mohawks on your helmet revving your bikes in traffic, **** you asshole with skull bandana on your face revving your Harley to a full 4k song, and **** you hooligan bike rider from UK that loves the fact he gets to use loud pipes here.

you RUINED IT for all of us :banged

End of the road for loud pipes in California? | Hell for Leather

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
born and raised in 213...im guessing try not to think

i also say San Fran, Frisco, Diego, SD, TJ, Hollywierd, Los Angeelees, eastlos, westlos.....and someone always gets butthurt about it .."thats not what WE call it around here" :rolleyes:

Cali is what everyone here refers to it as, big deal

#9 ·
Why don't u go over to 1000rr.net/Gixxer.com and just tell them yourself? Most of them are over there buying MrGrn carbon and loudass garage exhausts. :woot:

Anyway, I'm all for them passing the law. If it will get them to start impounding bikes from the idiots, then that's what we've been forced into. The sportbike-riding public is embarassing and needs to be done away with for the most part.:eek:

Or you can just move out of "Cali' or whatever the cool guy above calls it cuz he's a "local".

#14 ·
let me explain....

I ride a Harley Ultra Classic (full dresser) almost everyday to and from work, Ive put 19K miles in 2 years so far while also driving my truck at times. I use a set of slip on mufflers on my bike that are MAYBE 5% louder than the pipes that come with it stock. I have them because the bike runs nicer, get better MPGs and it doesn't sound like a Jetsons flying car (you know, the chirping thing). THey are not loud by any stretch of the imagination.

The great majority ride sportbikes around causing no problems, then after that id say there a lot of messenger type bikes...you know the type, FZ1s with a huge trunk and lots of reflective tape, no biggy. Then third would be the cruisers (Harleys and Metrics) which majority are guys that ride the things on a daily basis to a from work (like me) or out on a slow Sunday cruise to wherever.

great!

Now, the problem is with not a select few that make it a point to act like assholes on the roads of LA, and im sure all over SoCal, to the point hat cagers hate all motorcyclist, and in turn i hate them more than they do....the assholes, not all motorcyclist.

these dickwads abuse the law that allows for us to share the lane with cars (split traffic) and the huge amount of canyon roads that happen to be amongst lots of houses and business.

When splitting traffic, these should-have-been-a-blow-jobs split lanes by cranking their sportbikes til the rev limiter hits the roof or until they're Harley pipes catch fire in order to get cars attention so that hey can squeeze themselves through the huge opening thats there already, but they cant do it because they have no clue how to ride a bike.
Im behind these condom slips on my frikking Harley Ultra Classic full bagger! splitting traffic EASILY without annoying anyone at all, while they have to stop at every other car at rev them out of the way to continue.
Nevermind that splitting traffic is a privilege given to us...these donkey dicks go around acting as if they own the road and how dare cars don't give them a 15' foot gap to squeeze in between!!

The other kind of dickwad is the one that thinks the local canyon carved through residential neighborhoods in SoCAl (they're everywhere) are their own private raceway. They go around sprinting from straight to straight, parking it at every turn so that they can go around it without crashing, and nailing the gas again on the straight....you know, a ****ing squid.

these would all be fine and dandy if thats all they did and they crashed out of everyones way eventually, but!
Both of these conceived-with-weak-spearm darwin-not-working examples tend to use the loudest possible pipes they can find, because they think this makes an excellent matting call or something.

The problem? California is sick of it and now were all gonna have to wear stock pipes from now on, if they pass this shit, which from the looks of it, it will. Why? because every one that drives a car is for it.....and thats a lot of cars vs motorcyclist here in Cali.

end rant......

PS, **** you guys with mohawks on your helmet revving your bikes in traffic, **** you asshole with skull bandana on your face revving your Harley to a full 4k song, and **** you hooligan bike rider from UK that loves the fact he gets to use loud pipes here.

no.

Cali is bankrupt. This is just another tax.

#15 · (Edited)
The problem? California is sick of it and now were all gonna have to wear stock pipes from now on, if they pass this shit, which from the looks of it, it will.
My stock pipes are rated 90 dba...

#16 ·
let me explain....

great!

end rant......

Arnold won't let that happen. :twocents

#17 ·
There's a LOT between proposing a law, passing it and enforcing it.
For example in most of Europe is illegal to remove a baffle from an exhaust, you can have your bike impounded in some countries. Yet people do that all the time. How many get caught, fined etc? Maybe 2%? Police have other things to do and even when they are instructed to "crack down" they can only fine so many people, giving a pretty measly return.
On a "cost effective" basis it's much easier to run a few extra speed cameras. On a political basis it's easier to pass the law, enforce it for a week or two on a relatively "tight" basis (meaning a few "fishnet" operations), give it lot of media coverage on the media to appease the ones who clamored for it and then let it die a silent death by not enforcing it. People with loud exhausts also have a right to vote, you know... ;)

#18 ·
It`s been this way in Quebec for years now. You can thank the open-pipe poser boys (and girls) for that one (up here anyhow)...... As in most cases, laws are made for the precious few who lack the common sense to manage their own lives and behaviour.....

#19 · (Edited)
As many, I am totally fed up with noisy Harley Fergusons. The pathetic noise can be heard for a mile before they trundle by at 120db and 43 mph WFO. And my attitude is I'm sure what is prompting this law. The 2 am bar rush is particularly irritating in my area as these lemmings have their bravo juice in them and must prove to the world what a parking lot rev limiter is and how fast their tractor can go.
Yes, any bike can make obnoxious noise. D&D pipes on a 4cyl sportbikes come to mind. But with sportbikes, the noise dissipates quickly as they accelerate away from your proximity as opposed to the fergusons which seem to linger forever.

It has been fed law for oh, 25 years I'd say to not modify an exhaust system from whatever db rating is stamped in the tin. $10,000 fine blah blah blah. Simply read what is on a stock pipe, and IIRC it's 83db (if we still have them laying around that is)

I and everyone else I know have the obligatory neato cans on our sportbikes. The cans on my duc which are fairly noisy, are labeled as 102db. But I don't whack on it in residential areas therefore it's relatively stealth quiet. My kid rode it and while sitting in my lanai, I barely heard him come home with it other than the rattly clutch as he entered the garage.

Yes, thank you Harley/Jap cruiser riders for effing it up for everyone as usual.

* Lets see if it passes in Cali. Aahnold owns several bikes and correct me if wrong the law also applies to aftermarket car systems. I could expect lobbying money placed in someones pocket to influence a change in the bill to reflect something like 103db at the Cali state level. (fed already sez 83 but I'll conveniently ignore that)

Then there is the enforcement issue. Most cops could care less about pipes on a bike. But we all know there will be the gestapo tactics. A group of cops will frequent gathering places and look for the approval text on pipes. No need for arbitrary sound checks. No stamping = a nice big fat fine for us. Aah, the municipality/county makes the media happy, creates revenue and everybody on the govt payroll is happy. Going down the street alone a cop will easily stop a bike. If he can't getcha for speeding he'll simply look for the Good Housekeeping seal of approval on your pipes.

Phase 2 is the state going after the manufacturer of non 83db pipes. This is what they want at that level as the state sees big money suing the manufacturer. This has happened already and sidesteps hammering their constituency that vote. A nice transparent method we must admit. As a result, Harley has taken all louder aftermarket pipes out of their catalog a few years ago.

The real world flip side:
My kid is a cop around here and he doesn't give a shit about bikes as he doesn't ride, yet he hates harleys based on the propensity for drunks riding them and the noise. He lurves busting drunk harley riders. He asked his boss about writing bikes for loud pipes and the boss said it's merely a part of summer so ignore it. Boss rides a noisy bagger with skulls on it it seems.

#22 ·
Non DOT turn signals are illegal as well. Most aftermarket turnsignals are not DOT.

I ride conservatively on the street. Traffic citations are just too expensive and can result in the issuance of equipment violations. In the long run its cheaper and safer to go to the track.

#25 ·
dont hate on biker boyz

this movies legit

i agree this law is dangerous and allows a foot in the door. weve been dealing with these types of small attacks for years in the dirtbike world. I can see this being used as a law that is an extra. which i would be fine with. when im re-enacting my favorite biker boyz scene and i get busted they can add this on

Of course not the cop has to know my stock db. and what 5% over is and i hope his meter is tuned recently... you know after our broke state buys them one

#26 ·
these should-have-been-a-blow-jobs split lanes
Now that's just plain funny! :clapper

Personally the noisy pipes suck. I can understand the non-biker ire towards them. I'm a lifelong biker and can't stand the noise esp. when they blast past me and blow out an ear drum. It's unsafe and it's uncool. Not surprised and glad they are banned imo. The HD crowd has been getting away with it for too long.

#28 · (Edited)
i know on this forum the anti Harley thing would prevail, thats all good, but the Sportbike guys are actually the ones ****ing it up for us the most here in SoCal. They outnumber the Harley guys 10-1 easily and they are huge assholes on the road......not saying asshole Harley guys aren't around too, just that assholes on the sportbikes outnumber them. they make it a point to scare everyone into making bigger gaps to split lanes, being heard at the stop lights etc... same as Harley guys but way worse with the ricers here....

im all for getting all these dickholes put away at the expense of aftermarket pipes...i could care less. My sportbike only sees track days and my harley has aftermarket pipes that barely outdo OEM pipes.
My problem is the growing sentiment amongst cagers to stump on motorcyclists!!
For as long as ive ridden bikes here, cagers treated bikes as guys choosing a different way to get around, period. But this new law shows a news sentiment of hatred and discontent with motorcyclists that worries me big time!
My problem is not the law itself.....my problem is the reason why the law gained strength, the ****ing squids that we used to just make fun of and now are strong enough to fuel the fire at capitol hill and get laws like this to the forefront of discussion.

As much as wed like to think it wont happen, this law has very little standing on its way to passing here right now, everyone is for it.

#32 ·
but the Sportbike guys are actually the ones ****ing it up for us the most here in SoCal. They outnumber the Harley guys 10-1 easily and they are huge assholes on the road.....
You're welcome... drop the weight and pick up the pace and you can be a asshole too...

#34 ·
Amen drsus... to each their own... I like to cruise the perverted highways or
strafe Laguna Seca on my one and only bike ... I say as long as we can split
lanes everything is cool in California... I'd hate to live in a narrow minded state
where they don't allow such freedom...

#36 ·
It's all in how you drive/ride. My bikes are loud, i'll admit. But, when i'm in town, i'm keeping the RPMs down as low as i can, to avoid just that

I had a Buell X1 Lightning way back when. I had a full exhaust system on it, and it was loud. I could hear the bike from over a mile away, if you crack it. Otherwise, you don't really hear it. I was sitting at a red light, just at idle. Summer day, helmet, long pants, boots, full jacket. And there are a group of cops in the median. They point to me, point to the side of the road. So, i pull up to them, stop, get off, ask what's going on. They say that it was a random exhaust check, looking for baffles and such. Oh Crap... Well, first, they couldn't find the exhaust, i had to point it out to them. So, the put the tube in, and it goes in like a foot, pretty obvious there aren't any baffles. But that didn't matter to them at all. It was just a check to see if i had a motorcycle license, and insurance and all. Then one of the cops, a motorcycle cop, asked that always so fun question of "So, how fast have you gotten this thing?" Don't you all love that question? I just look at him

#38 ·
i have no problem with aftermarket pipes...all my bikes have them. I have a problem with the guys that think blowing all the packing out of the baffles by day two from revving the piss out of the bike to get attention is a totally acceptable thing with no repercussions .

Jami......today might be my Bday... but its dedicated to nursing my buddy back to health from the last two days of a Jack Daniels beat down! ouch

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.