Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Anything in particular I should know? My friend will be selling his on the cheap if I buy it off him. However I'm a bit hesitant because it has 60,000km on the odometer (over 37k miles). Advice?

·
Can Afford To Be Critical
1,852 Posts
What OB says. I've never liked the way it handles but that's a personal preference thing. First thing you do is lose the D&D pipe...please. He's throwing the calendar in with the deal, right? :woot:

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Already have that calendar :p as for pipes, does anyone make a megaphone/gp style exhaust for 929s? I would want something more streamlined

·
I'll fix it.
2,249 Posts
theres not a whole lot on the aftermarket for them as they were only made a few years. Make sure its had the fuel hose recall done. Be prepared to get very creative if you want to remove the engine.

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Already have that calendar :p as for pipes, does anyone make a megaphone/gp style exhaust for 929s? I would want something more streamlined
You don't wanna know what a GP style exhaust looked like when the 929 was new. Think expansion chamber, and a stinger style muffler about the diameter of the cardboard tube inside a roll of toilet paper.

·
Registered
983 Posts
GREAT all around street bike, but remember, the 929 didn't have much track focus. I wouldn't let the miles be a deal breaker, but then if you know the guy, you probably know if he kept up on his maintenance.

Personally, I'd hold out for a cheap example of the much better 954 if I was headed to track days, but on the Street, the 929 can't be beat.

...and I always thought they looked cool!:twocents

·
V4 CyclePath...
6,827 Posts
I machined a custom set of bar risers and a shaped a temper foam seat for a customers Niner Two Niner...

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It'll be seeing a lot of highway miles. Zero trackdays. My friend did a big overhaul on the engine, and he knows his stuff so I trust it was done properly.

What attracts me to it is the clean styling; it has aged extremely well and still looks the part. Not having ridden it yet, I've read that it has very mild road manners so it would be a great balanced commuter that's ready to have fun in the twisties.

I expect to be paying about $4000 for it, which isn't very far from the going rate of a 929 with lower mileage.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Nice bike , but $4000+13%Tax+Safety(~$200)=$4720 for a 10 year old bike with 60K km ? I don't know , doesn't sound cheap to me .

·
Premium Member
3,874 Posts
It is an incredible bike
years ahead of it's time imo in terms of handling,response etc
this is my 2001 UK version
I bought this instead of a 954
what a machine
I had awesome TSR handles on my machine

·
Subsonic Swine!
169 Posts
I sold a a very clean silver/black 2002 954 with just under 7k miles with brand new 2CTs, full Yosh RS-3 system, and EMS w/shift light, etc. for USD$4,000 in March (sold it for a relative). So clean it made my SP-1 look used, but it just didn't 'speak' to me. Great commuter tool though. If I had one I'd change the seat and probably install rearsets. That 929: maybe for $2500-3000 and mechanically perfect, but 4k is too high imho.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I had a 2001 929.
It's one of the two bikes I still regret selling.
Back at the time the journos had a little fun with it because it was not as "savage" as the mighty R1 and the intractable GSX-R1000K1 and hence didn't stroke their ego enough but recently even them had to grudgingly admit that it was by far the best bike of its generation. Hell, it even won the Production category at the 2001 TT so it wasn't slow by any mean. :notworthy

There are three areas of concern.
The first is the clutch pusher rod. It was hollow on 2000 and very early 2001 bikes and it broke no matter what. Ask me how I know. :rolleyes:
The second are fatigue cracks in the fork bottoms.
The former was addressed with a recall campaign in 2000 and on a one on one basis on 2001 bikes. Any Honda dealer will be able to tell you if the bike was fitted with improved pusher rod. The latter was addressed on a one on one basis: just be sure to clean and check the fork bottoms regularly.
The third hasn't been properly resolved. The alternator will fail: it's only a matter of time and it will usually take the reg/rec and perhaps the battery with it. Aftermarket and rewound alternators usually end up lasting less than OE. There was a thread on fireblades.org about rewinding the stator to make it as it should have been in the first place... ask if you need and I'll dig that out. ;)

·
Registered
516 Posts
Great bike based on what you are doing with it...

Alot of journo's seemed to like it better than the 954 that replaced it for alot of reasons. If it is easy highway miles only, listen to the advice, have it checked out and make an offer. 4k is a bit high IMHO as well; specially for today!!!

·
Premium Member
6,388 Posts
$4000 is too high.
Agreed.

A buddy of mine just sold a mint copy for $4,400 and it had 6,000 miles.

I wouldn't pay more than $3,000 for that.

But, the 929 is very nice. They were known to be a little twitchy but it was a very nice rider once dialed in. Honda reliability and easy to find parts.

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Okay, here's My :twocents

About the "Mileage" (and this is NO BS).... on any of the CBR900RR, 929, 954 engines... As long as the prev. Owners, changed it's engine oil, on a Regular mile\time period basis.... The mileage you're talking about,... is NOTHING! She's just breaking in! :clapper

I had a 94 model> CBR900RR.... I had 74,000++ miles on her and Ran the Crap out of her, hitting the REV. Limiter on more then a few runs, I couldn't even begin to guess how many times this happened in the 3.5 yrs. I had her!
She got stolen, right before Thanksgiving 1997:banghead ... FYI and FWIW., I NEVER once, NOT even 1 time, did I have to adjust the Valves! Are you kidding me, in all those miles, they were Always in spec.! God I wish I still had that CBR!

The ONLY thing I ever had to fix/replace was (1) reg.\rec.:rockon OPPS! OH NO!, I lied, I forgot,... I had to replace (1) instrument light bulb and (1) head light too.:cool:

IF she wasn't stolen from me,... I'd still have her to this DAY and most likely, I'd have somewhere around 200,000+\- miles on her!

OK, Back to the CBR929:
The ONLY thing I HATE,... about the 929 and the 954 is Honda's and (ALL VFRs with) is the "Pivotless frame" and because of that... "I" would never buy one...

On the other hand, just within the last year (12 months), I have come so close, to buying another CBR900RR (1994,-1995) it's not funny! The ONLY reason,... I haven't pulled the trigger, is not wanting to stroke out my Bride!:)

Any of you remember the "FED-X" pilot that was in the MC mags 2 different times? He had OVER 200,000 miles on his 1993 CBR900RR!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts