Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ladies and Gentlemen,
The warm weather has arrived in Upstate NY and I have a project that is roughly 150 miles from home and I would like a tail bag that would fit my 15" laptop and possibly a change of clothes.

What are you guys using on your RC51 for long distances and any additional suggestions for holding the bag down through winding and fast roads.

Thanks ahead of time.

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Well I have drill this weekend in MN and with Gas prices the bike is making the long ride up there.

I have Saddlebags. I am Borrowing a Tankbag(large style as all I have is a mini). and i Borrowed one of the Milspec Icon Back packs that I am going to use as a tail bag. I have to pack for 3 days.

Here is where I have a problem. I need a uniform{this includes 3 tshirts, 3pairs of black socks}(only taking one and i hope I don't spill on it.) Boots for my uniform. My Military Kevlar. I also need Jeans Socks and Tshirts for casual wear. I need Casual shoes to wear when going out. I also have to take PT clothes(uniform) and Tennis shoes. i have to take my laptop(important part of my military training.) I also have to pack a sleeping bag for when i stay at the armory.

Ooh and did I mention i am leaving thursday.... From Broken Arrow Ok, Headed to MN and it is forecasted rain all the way to des moines.... FML
I'm just Glad my Dad rides and has a Frogg Togg suit i can steal since he is not riding currently(recovering from Cancer). It's 700 miles roughly one way... I Need to change rear tires before i leave. I'm not sure my Pure will make it that long since i am getting Damn near the wear bars. I think my old race rear has more tread in the middle and it will be shot when i get back but it is free...

·
Registered
416 Posts
UPS - FedEX??????

Why not ups some of your bigger stuff to where you are going and it will be there?? Then send it back much cleaner and faster. My 2 cents??
Hoovy

·
And Stateside again...
2,537 Posts
Well i made my trip.
Left at 6.45 a.m. on Thursday got in a little after 6 p.m. not bad considering i was stopping every 112-130 miles for fuel and a short walk to move around.
Here is how she was packed when i left:

Well i got to Joplin(112 by my odo) and topped off(filled up it was 3.103 Gal used running somewhere around 80-82 the whole time(minus a few jaunts to 100)
30 miles out of joplin had to stop to put the rain suit on. it started raining about 10 miles later. stopped in harrisionville Mo for gas. 128.5 miles by odo 3.63 Gal used. Average speed 85(by GPS)
pic of her wet in Harrisionville:

After filling up I headed through KC still in the rain staying somewhere around 80 the whole way through. at the first exit before Bethany Mo got pulled over. 89 in a 70. after a quick explanation of the fact that i was headed to military duty and had a long trip on the bike he determined I was nuts(his words) Then told me If I stay around 85 the rest of the way no one will hassle with me but 89 is getting a little Excessive) I agreed and said no prob officer and went on my merry way(no ticket) Ave speed on this section by GPS 85. top speed 99.
Filled up in Bethany Odo: 133.0 Gal used 3.741
(forgot to take a pic but i didn't change the way it was packed on this stop. I finally got it packed where my Backpack wasn't moving around at all.
I also had a header bolt on the Front pipe Vibrate out around bethany so i stopped at the hardware store and fixed(so i thought)
Then got back on the road till Ankenny Iowa odo: 119.7 Gal used: 3.214
Had to retighten the header bolt on this stop as well.
Last gas stop for the trip up was in Northwood Iowa with my Odo reading 132.4 Gal used 3.808 I wasn't as nice to the throttle on this section as it is very flat and boring.

This is how my bike was paced from Bethany all the way to MN and then i repacked it the same way for the ride back.
On the ride back i didn't log my gas as well as i did on my way up as the way up was my test run and i knew my results would be similiar. but on my second tank of Gas i averaged 90 by GPS for the whole tank of gas and mileage really didn't change much.

I don't have a speedo healer so when my speedo reads 102 I am actually doing 90 by GPS meaning with 1 tooth down in the front I have a 10.2% difference in Speedo Error.
on The way back i got hit hard from Nevada Missouri all the way home with Heavy Heavy storms. This caused me to get very tense so my back was killing me when i got up this morning. Overall I had a good time and The lack of tickets was a huge plus.

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
On another sad note "CHASER" and the gang are moving from the farmhouse and "BLACKIE" sold for $600.00 I had this lt1 350/350/ for years and years :(

Attachments

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
Jonny I would have kept it forever 4:56 axels and damn nice bodylines 4 speed 2 speed transfercase and a heart of gold !

·
Registered
460 Posts
my personal solution...

camera battery died before i could snap one on bike, but... it's more about function than form.... i went with a rear seat vs a cowl base because i wanted it to be sturdy enough to handle a full bag... road tested, no issues, just a little tricky getting it on & off.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.