Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not payed to much attention to this model ever since it hit the dealers floors a few years back. Not sure why, I've owned (2) SV650's, V-Strom 1000 & a TL1000 so you'd think I would have been interested.

Well a good friend has one & ask me to help him install a full Yosh 2 into 1 system on his '03 silver S model. He had Yosh slip-ons before but unfortunately for him his rear seat blew off one day while out riding, he parked near a curb to go get the seat out of the road. Only problem is the bike fell over onto the curb. Nice big ole dent in one of the slip-in cans. He could not get another single can so he did what I told him to do before he bought the slip-ons, buy a full system.

Took about an hour to install the full system & man what a sweet sound! Gosh I had forgot how booming the Suzuki 1000 vtwins sound like uncorked.
The Yosh system was a bit tight to squeeze onto the bike but fit well after everything was tightened up. Nice upswept angle to the muffler, its about 1" from below the rear blinker (yes he still has that growth of a fender out back
)

Got me to thinking, hey I have the same engine in the V-Strom, might be time for some pipes. Only hitch is they only make slip ons for the V-Strom's. That snake OEM pipe on the bottom of the bike was a heavy mother on the SV. No different on the V-strom.

I gave his bike a nice suspension check up also (damn I'm a good friend
) He knows nothing about suspension and is a big guy so the SV is a lil on the soft side for him stock. The local dealer had replaced the fork seals recently & what a crappy job the boy did. Reboud adjuster was 4 turns out on the rt. leg & 2 turns out on the lt. leg, talk about balance. The pinch bolts were semi loose on the right leg. I set his sag & adjusted the rebound & compression front & back. I am good to my friends especially the ones who ride Suzuki's
It is nice having the knowledge & know how to fix somthing so simple.

I can't get the sound of that big vtwin outta my head

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: SV1000S is a sweet bike! (BALLS)

Sweet bike and with a pair of open cans sounds even better! It's a shame that their sales in US and not only are really low... on the other side the 650 is cult anymore.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Stick a TL motor in that Katana and have a whole garage full of 'em.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: SV1000S is a sweet bike! (TLSer)

I just sold my sv650, and was really close to buying the sv1k. I did some research and it seems like everyone who pushed it, got pushed back. It sounds like it makes a great street bike, but handles like a truck on a road course.

I bit the bullet, and decided on an 04 R6 instead.
I love the v-twin bark, especially from a 1000cc, but cornering is what interests me the most. I'll ring it's neck for a couple years, then probably get a twin again.
Who knows what twin superbike will be out in a few years!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: SV1000S is a sweet bike! (Metcalfe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Metcalfe »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Who knows what twin superbike will be out in a few years!</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The only thing I don't like about the SV1K is the clip-on bars, since it doesn't have GSXR suspension I think it should have come with a regular handlebar. I still might buy a leftover one and set it up as a sport touring type of bike. It's either that or a 650 V-Strom.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts