Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

After my first weekend with my new toy i think i need to play with the suspension settings both front and rear. At the moment they are stock. Does anyone have any advice upon what settings suit fast road riding on less than perfect tarmac here in the uk. I'm 15stone so doubt i am what Honda had in mind when they set-up the bike
. The bike is an 03 SP2 if that makes any difference. May need to play round abit but thought i'd see if others had the set-up worked out.

cheers.
Giles.

·
Registered
5,440 Posts
Stoned?

Adrenaline is my drug of choice!:rockon
-Rocky-

·
'51 Freak
164 Posts
a "stone" = ? Kilos (yeah yeah...another type of stoned!:woot: )

usually the forks are sprung for a 10 year old (too soft) and the rear is usually a bit too firm for most people's preferences...

With the above conversion, you can get more detailed on the adjustments:twocents

·
Registered
319 Posts
Just crank down the front full hard and tighten up the rear spring 3 notches.. That will be good for street riding:rockon

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah the good old US/UK language barrier

whilst i'd never recommend riding 'stoned':woot: i was refering to my lardy 15 stone or for the US market 210 pounds that the poor RC has to haul around. I'll give the susupension a tweak and see how it reacts and finetune it from there. Read alittle about re-working forks etc but think money would be better spent on front sprocket/PC111 and possibly a dyno tune.

Cheers guys

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here are the base settings that Sport Rider magazine liked on the 03 RC51:
Set fork tubes so one line is showing above the top triple clamp (yoke)
F. Preload 6 turns out
F. Rebound 2.25 turns out
F. Compression 10 clicks out
R. Preload position #5 from full soft
R. Rebound 1 turn out
R. Compression 6 clicks out.
These settings will give you a place to start with your motorbike. A lot of riders here like to shim the rear ride height up between 3 and 5mm. You can slot some
big flat washers and slip them in between the upper shock mount and the frame
without too much agony. You'll need to raise your gas (petrol) tank up to get at the big nut so you can insert the shim(s).
Have fun and welcome!

·
Registered
118 Posts
don't be a tight arse. instead of spending the golden nugets on things like pc's and gearing get your wallet out and buy a rear shock setup for you and get the forks re-sprung/valved etc by a decent guy. K-tech are UK based and do some good sheat.

you'll be faster on the road when your rubber stays in contact with the black stuff, and your mates will think your cooler than them because of your bling bits, women will find you more attractive outside starbucks and I've even heard it can help prevent hair loss.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Guys,

Thanks again for all the suggestions:clapper , guess i'll start to save the pennies and do a few things over time when funds allow. I'll start with the cheap front sprocket and set up the suspension as suggested and go from there. Sadly the weather is rapidly worsening here in the uk so it'll be limited milegae until our poor excuse for a summer shows up again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts