Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
'51 Freak
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am putting on new Diablo Rosso's 190/55 from Dunlop Qualifier 190/50. The RC has stock rear shock, no link or spacer. Maybe a good time for the spacer? 5mm Washer right?

I have had catalyst suspension (dave I think) adjust my suspension at buttonwillow track days and have pretty much left it alone (even though the freeway bumps are killer) so I am soliciting input about what suspension adjustments I should make or what to look for on a ride to indicate that adjustments are necessary. Thanks in advance for not flaming me:woot:

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
Just my 2 cents, the 190/55 is taller than the 50, so the tire itself acts the same as a spacer would. The rear of the bike will now be a *tiny* bit taller.

I don't have any shims in the shock, but I'm running a DK/Varium/somebody link, and my forks are dropped a bit. I like to turn in snappy-like...

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Try running the bike as is for now.
I've run a 190/55 Racetek on bog stock suspension and, apart from my genetic dislike of Pirelli and Metzler it felt OK.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 5mm spacer and run 190/55 and love it . This is how the guy that works on my suspension set it up and I love it. If you do a spacer start off a little at a time.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
im running bone stock suspension on my bike and im running the dunlop 209gpa's. the rear is a 190/55, and im sure it has a different overall diameter than the pirelli and that could be found rather easily. i shimmed the rear shock and the most i could safely get was 4mm's with the threads pretty much flush with the top of the nut. going to 5mm's had the threads below the top of the nut and i didnt feel comfortable doing that. i just hit the track a couple weeks back and i had about 8mm's of fork tube showing through the triples and the bike was way too nervous and twitchy. i raised the front up 4mm's at first and it felt tremendously better which is where i kept it for the rest of the day. although i knew ideally i needed to raise it a couple more mm's for my liking which i did when i got home. i now have 2mm's of fork tube showing through the triples, 4mm's of shim on the rear shock which makes the total eye to eye length 330mm's (stock is 326mm's). im pretty confident the bike will feel just like i want it to. i prefer a more stable bike that takes a little effort to flick from side to side than a nervous bike that falls into the turns, although ideally the idea is to find that sweet spot in between which is what im working on. with 4mm's showing over the triple the bike felt pretty well planted (although not quite where i wanted it) but it was still very flickable through a super tight chicane. the best thing you can do is get the bike set up with a rough geometry based on what you read here there or anywhere, and then go ride it and adjust it for your feel.

·
RC51-less Member
6,675 Posts
Just my 2 cents, the 190/55 is taller than the 50, so the tire itself acts the same as a spacer would.
Negative.

The spacer rasies the rear by adding length to the shock, at the mount, changing the rear height and the swingarm angle, improving turn-in and out-of-corner handling, under acceleration.

Putting on a taller rear tire, only raises the rear by raising the bike's axle-to-ground height, and the swingarm-to-frame angle never changes.

Adding BOTH is beneficial for the 17-22mm optimum rear ride height change, that makes the bike handle better. (a link makes it even better)

The only reason you add 5mm of shim, is because with a stock shock, that's ALL you'll fit in there and still get the nut on safely, to mount the shock.

Have you guys learned nothing? :p

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Negative.

The spacer rasies the rear by adding length to the shock, at the mount, changing the rear height and the swingarm angle, improving turn-in and out-of-corner handling, under acceleration.

Putting on a taller rear tire, only raises the rear by raising the bike's axle-to-ground height, and the swingarm-to-frame angle never changes.

Adding BOTH is beneficial for the 17-22mm optimum rear ride height change, that makes the bike handle better. (a link makes it even better)

The only reason you add 5mm of shim, is because with a stock shock, that's ALL you'll fit in there and still get the nut on safely, to mount the shock.

Have you guys learned nothing? :p
DAVE:confused: :eek: :notworthy

eye luv yuu mann

1 - 10 of 10 Posts