Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from a friend saying he heard a commercial on KSHE95 about some place called "Proving Grounds Motorsports Park" or something like it, advertising SM, MX, Flat, Drag, & Circle tracks etc. I have not head anything myself, as I seldom listen to radio, has anybody else heard of this place? I "googled" for it & came up with nothing...

Modified by Jacka$$ at 5:08 PM 2/24/2005

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Supermoto track in Troy, MO? (Jacka$$)

Haven't heard anything about it...but if the rumors are true, I'd go check it out

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Supermoto track in Troy, MO? (stlwalnut)

You mean to tell me people still listen to KSHE 95! I figured all the burn outs had died from sniffing too much glue or something.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Supermoto track in Troy, MO? (chriscap)

Oh, and wouldn't I feel stupid if there was SM track in Troy, since it's about 10 minutes from my house. I heard the rumors also... but I'll leave it at that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bring it on. chris, take an excursion over there on your way home. btw, when are we going to do an open track day? sometime next month i hope. i better get my bike done. too bad american honda is back ordered on exhaust valve guides.

p.s. isn't kshe 94.7? i used to want a kshe pig tshirt like my brother had. but that was about 1977 or 8. i couldn't have bell bottoms either.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: (Nick Novice)

I wanted the pig shirt two, and I couldn't figure out at the time why my parents wouldn't let me wear a shrit that had a stoned pig burning one on it. I did get to wear bell bottoms though.

Anyway, I heard the commercial this morning on 97.1 (that's right conservative talk radio! Crane and Smash are cool) Everything sounds too good to be true "...a Supermoto track equivalant to anything on the Rell Bull series..." and then they spring it on you, the membership. "...Just call 636- whatever and sign up today... these are exclusive memberships, don't miss out..." What I'm guessing is that they bought some land with a big giant loan, and they are planning on using the membership money to fund the entire thing. Whatever, I'm keeping my money somewhere safer, like the tech stock market :)

If someone can find out exactly were the place is suppose to be in Troy I'll go check it out tomorrow and report back.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
holy crow! it specifically said supermoto? i figured it would be just a cart track. if someone gets the number, post it. it's slow at work today. i'll call.

yes, i realize it's probably too good to be true. i won't get all moist. yet...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: (chriscap)

Yeah I just heard the commercial too on 97.1 (Bill OReilly’s the man) and it sounds almost too good to be true. It was getting very technical on track layout and I had to do a double take and say "what the hell am I listening too?”. Someone post a number and webpage if you find it.

BTW - I still listen to K-She, had the bell bottoms, aforementioned T-Shirt (Only the ones with the hooter count...
) and well let’s just say the whole bit... Funny. Now I'm a fairly successful conservative Republican! buwaahhaahaaha

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

(636) 528-7666

I'm all for it, bike or not. Let's all call and stir it up a bit to see what happens.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i heard today at a local shop that it was their grand opening this weekend.

for the motocross track, and the dirt/tt track. they're further along than i thought.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I heard on 101,1 the river that this new place in Troy, MO has the "motorcycle ball of death"... one of those big metal mesh spheres where two or three people get in and ride around real fast on their bikes. Now THAT's worth the membership fees, I think.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Supermoto track in Troy, MO? (Supermotel6)

I'm too lazy to make a stinkin' phone call, but if someone tells me where it's (supposed to be) at I'll go check it out, take pictures, or do some laps in the ball of death.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hey guys, I'm a complete noob at this "ball of death" stuff, but it sure sounds cool. Can anyone tell me what it would take to license a "ball of death" bike for street use in Illinois?

Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: Supermoto track in Troy, MO? (banda)

i know a guy who built one for his kids. they've been on the speed channel and spike with that silly thing. banda, it was a ball original used in carnivals and stuff. they ride lil' xr's in this ball. it looks crazy, but only mildly entertaining.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Supermoto track in Troy, MO? (Nick Novice)

That's cool and all, but I don't think you're understanding my question:

I don't want to ride around in a ball of death. I just want to convert my bike so that it looks like a ball of death bike, and then I'll further modify it to make it street legal. I'm hoping to fool people into thinking I'm a bad a$$ ball of death rider without ever actually riding in a ball of death. Make sense?

Second question: Are there any street legal factory ball of death bikes? You'd think the manufacturers would have been all over that action by now.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Supermoto track in Troy, MO? (banda)

I think Yamaha made something called a V-Max that worked really well in the ball of death. Banda, I'm sure if you bought one of these, put a big sissy bar on the back, chopped the front end out some, then put some really cool looking BSA leathers from the 60s on, no one would doubt that you were one bad MOFO.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

47 West from 60 through Troy to H. North on H several miles to Quarry Rd (gravel), on left. Approx. 1 mile down Quarry Rd. to 'Proving Grounds' property.

I've not gone to check it out, but did get a call back on Saturday. The story I got was that the dirt tracks were near completion and that the SuperMoto track would be done late spring/early summer. All tracks are dedicated and not overlapping at all.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chriscap »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think Yamaha made something called a V-Max that worked really well in the ball of death. Banda, I'm sure if you bought one of these, put a big sissy bar on the back, chopped the front end out some, then put some really cool looking BSA leathers from the 60s on, no one would doubt that you were one bad MOFO.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Don't forget the mullet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

banda, my bad. but if you go with the BSA jacket, you need the pudding bowl helmet and goggles to go with it. the vmax = no helmet.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Back to the subject a bit....

Just got a call from the Mild 2 Wild guys... (Gas Gas/MZ dealers formerly on the Rock Road...) and they're the ones runnig this deal. They moved out to Troy a while agoand apparently business is great.

They're the ones running this Proving Grounds deal. They're saying they'll have a website up in the next week or two.

As far as the 'membership' thing, it's $200 per person for one year and $500 for a family of five for one year. That gives access to the entire 'complex'. Otherwise, it's $15 per day, per person.

I was told this time that directions were not being given out because they don't want a bunch of people out snooping around while they're trying to get the work finished. I guess they guy I talked to on Saturday didn't get that bit of info...

The Mild 2 Wild shop is currently located in Troy, just off of Lincoln Dr. (61 N to 47, W on 47, first light is Lincoln, turn right and they're on the left.

FWIW, they claim to have Matt and Nick helping them with the SM track layout.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts