Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just wondered how big supermoto racing / streetmotos are in the states.
over here in england its only just taken off alot like me have ditched the sports bikes for a moto and the british championship is ace.
i know there are many harley fans but is your big cities awash with xrs and ktm's
hopefully they are???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: supermoto/ harley??? (ccm)

Nope. Racing is getting big here, but the street moto scene.... well let's just say scene would be very strong word.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: supermoto/ harley??? (ccm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccm »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...over here in england its only just taken off...</TD></TR></TABLE>

HUH? Have you spent any time on visordown.com? I spent about a year & a half on that site before joining this one, & let me tell you, in terms of street & race supermoto, your countrymen are WAY ahead of us yanks. We're only just catching up, partly because of the AMA series, & other regional efforts are finally getting some notice as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: supermoto/ harley??? (Jacka$$)

fair comment mate just thought supermoto would be massive over there taking in the supercross folowing u have.
supermoto over here ok we dont get massive crowd watching only a few hundred at the british champs but for actuall supermoto street riders there aint loads but on certain bike meets we do get a good turn out of new moto lads

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the main problem with Americans using supermotos for the street is we're used to going further, and on wider cornered routes. You'd have to be in a moutain area to really get the most enjoyment out of a supermoto. Around here your probably hunting and pecking alot to get some fun stuff. But between those sessions is some fairly bun-numbing drones.

It's my impression that many supercross fans wouldn't translate well their enthusiasm for racing into actual road riding with motards. They might be more inclined to try a motocross track, but more likely an ATV is their chosen weapon. They sell hand over fist here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (stk0308)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stk0308 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It's my impression that many supercross fans wouldn't translate well their enthusiasm for racing into actual road riding with motards. They might be more inclined to try a motocross track, but more likely an ATV is their chosen weapon. They sell hand over fist here.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well put Steve. Unfourtunatley, americans (& maybe humans in general) tend to be a lazy bunch, content to do just enough to get by. Why bother to learn how to skillfully pilot a dirtbike, risking such catastrophies as: falling over, skull splitting headaches while trying to remember how to brake, clutch, downshift, & balance (maybe even standing up!) all at the same time, when you can plop your fat, McDonalds fed ass onto a 4-wheeler & ride with half the work/skill/speed? (hey, where's the beer holder on this thing!?!)

On another note, I don't think that supermoto will ever draw non-enthusiast crowds to full potential, until they totally "americanize" it. We're talking tracks that fit neatly in the confines of an indoor arena, with insane jumps (AMA seems to be ontop of that one = copper mountain), maybe some pirotechnics, or a ring of fire, & some husky voiced speed talking monster truck announcer. The whole thing has to be put together & spoon fed to the public. If they have to do anything out of the ordinary (drive out into the country to some kart track they've never heard of), it's just not gonna happen, they'd rather stay home & watch 24/7 coverage of ASSCAR.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts