Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from a track day at Summit Point, WV (Summit Point Circuit http://www.summitpoint-raceway.com/). My gas mileage went from 36 MPG street to 11 MPG track, using 93 Octane on both instances. I had no idea it would drop that much...and I actually ran out of fuel during the last session but was able to coast back to my EZ-Up.

The bike performed flawlessly and appeared to be the quickest machine at the track (BCM engine, 151.4 rwhp;82 lb/ft torque...bike 403 lbs fully wet). There might have been slightly quicker bikes, but with the drive I was getting out of the corners, nobody could make up the distance if they were quicker.
I had to stop with one session left in the afternoon because the right side of my rear tire was absolutely shot and I didn't want to take a chance losing the rear.

I changed gearing to 15/40, and the 998R was just short of 11K at the end of the front straight with 165 indicated. That gearing was perfect for this track, and it allowed me to pull all the uphill sections and gain on everyone within eyesight. I had to increase my steering damper settings three clicks because the bike kept trying to power wheelie out of T3 and at the rise following T9, even with me doing my best to stay low and hug the front of the tank.

As an added bonus, Doug Polen was there, test riding a 999S. He still looked to be in great shape, and happily autographed T-shirts for all participants...and a great day for Ducati as there were a bunch there...and none of them crashed!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (998R)

Sorry to hear about your fuel mileage. Try going to 50 psi in your tires and upshifts at 7000 rpm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 999 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to hear about your fuel mileage. Try going to 50 psi in your tires and upshifts at 7000 rpm.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

And run wesson oil in the crankcases. Lower viscosity and makes everyone on

pit road want a bacon sandwich.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bacon.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 999 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to hear about your fuel mileage. Try going to 50 psi in your tires and upshifts at 7000 rpm.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I agree that his gearing sounds a little short.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (Turbo329)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo329 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

and appeared to be the quickest machine at the track </TD></TR></TABLE>

What kind of times are we talking about?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (kam1996)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kam1996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What kind of times are we talking about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agree - top speed is irrelevant...
lap times are all that matter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (hank)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hank »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Agree - top speed is irrelevant...
lap times are all that matter</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto...cough it up

I think that Coleman's is putting on another one of those track days in August since everything went so well (only an hour behind schedule)

For lap time reference for Summit Point Main...
The top novice racers are turning high 1:19's to 1:24's
The top experts racers are turning low 1:17's to 1:19's
B group w/ nesba anything from 1.40's up
I group w/nesba high 20's and up

-Tifosi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (Tifosi)

Lap times are most important to some folks, I'm sure. But many of us are placing equal importance on fuel mileage in these uncertain times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 999 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Try going to 50 psi in your tires and upshifts at 7000 rpm. Lap times are most important to some folks, I'm sure. But many of us are placing equal importance on fuel mileage in these uncertain times.</TD></TR></TABLE>

im going to put 50 pounds psi in my tires right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (oneducs)

Excellent! Your fuel mileage will go up by at least 20% during your next trackday.
And your laptimes will only go up by 5 to 10 seconds! What's the difference, anyway? You're gonna be there all day anyway, right?

The days of people riding around in circles with no thought given to how much gas they are burning are over my brother.
Peace.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by oneducs »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

im going to put 50 pounds psi in my tires right now.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 999 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The days of people riding around in circles with no thought given to how much gas they are burning are over my brother.
Peace.</TD></TR></TABLE>

a proud boast from one of the doom and gloom crowd.

hey chicken little the sky is falling, the sky is falling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (roadkill)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can dramatically increase your fuel savings by sitting out a session or two.</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: (roadkill)

Well, that's just stupid!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by roadkill »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can dramatically increase your fuel savings by sitting out a session or two.</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kam1996 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

What kind of times are we talking about?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't take lap times at track days...otherwise I'd start to get back in race mode...which is something that I do NOT want to do at a track day.

I got within one second of the motorcycle lap record at Summit Point on a 600 with a pipe, jet kit, and slicks in 1997. Since the 998R weighs less and is producing considerably more horsepower (but I'm not running slicks), I know that it could dip into the high teens if I wanted to risk it...which I don't want to do.

It is just such a great feeling to be able to get on a track and ride a Ducati like it were meant to be ridden. I can't help but smile on and off the track. I had a video camera mounted...but took it off before the first session because I could sense that it was going to get in the way. Maybe I can get one of those inexpensive "lipstick" lens attachments and mount that in a convenient place and then take a video that I could share with board members. I've taken on-board videos before at that track (on my ex-race bike), and they looked and sounded every bit as good as what you see on TV.

I admit...I couldn't help but smile a bit as the bike was passing expert racers on fully prepped race bikes...but then...we weren't racing...just having fun!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

That's all well and good, but what are you doing about your fuel mileage problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

I was regularly racing at Summit in 1996-1997 and do not remember someone who got within 1 sec of the track record on a 600..
What was your lap time.
I dont doubt you are very fast...But I know everyone who had a lap record from 1994 -2000 , 2 of the people I know personally..
??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

I believe that the current lap record is in the 1:15/1:14 range. I think that it used to be held by a SV, but was broken by an R1 last season.

-Tifosi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 998R »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">It is just such a great feeling to be able to get on a track and ride a Ducati like it were meant to be ridden. I can't help but smile on and off the track...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wish I'd read more Ducati peeps say that

-Tifosi

1 - 20 of 23 Posts