Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from the track. First, the good news.

Weather was a tad warm (90 degree plus, but a nice breeze which made it seem less humid). No afternoon thundershowers. Was lucky to function as a control rider.

Now the bad news.

I have never seen so many red flags in my life. There must have been 15 off-track excursions, of which only one required medical treatment. The track conditions were just about perfect...yet people were flying off left and right. T1, T3, T10 all had people run off. Two cases of people breaking their chains just before they hit T1 after the long front straight (that must have been scary). Finally, during my last session (I quit early based on this incident), they throw a red flag just before Pit In. The guy in front of me (whom I was just getting ready to pass so he could follow me and clean up his lines a bit), chops throttle and decides to dive into the pits. I have no place to go, slam on my brakes and put my hand up. Just when I think everything is OK, some guy comes flying past me on the inside with about 6" to spare, having not seen the red flag or, apparently, my upraised hand. I was that close to getting punted off track. Taking that as an omen, I quit for the day.

One last positive note. A very good friend of mine (should have gone pro, former road racing school chief instructor), rode my bike. He came in early, saying he was having so much fun that he was scared that he would dump the bike...and he couldn't afford to fix it (as if I could!). Brian said it was the best bike he had ever ridden, and the 2nd fastest (the fastest being a 190 rwhp AMA Superbike...which even he said was scary). He had nothing but praise about everything...brakes, acceleration, top speed, quick shifter, clipper clutch, handling, etc. After I chided him for coming in early, I extended the invitation again the next time we meet at any track. It was cool to watch the 998R motor down the front straight, reeling other bikes in...with me listening to the sound of those big Termi's booming down the track.

PS. The Michelin Power Race MS (f/r) now have 235 hard track miles on them...and they still look like they are going strong. Wear is perfectly even from sidewall to sidewall, front and rear. I can't say enough good things about these tires...they are awesome!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (998R)

Ahh, so you were at the Loudon Motorsports track day. One of my buddies in MAD just posted a write up about the track day. He too noted the strange types and amounts of "red flags". Overall though he had a good time control riding.

You should stop by Duc Pond Racing this weekend, Donnie has a customer who brought an ex Larry Pegram's race bike...a 998RS...I'll try to post photos this weekend...

-Tifosi

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (Tifosi)

I would love to see those pics of that RS!!! You racing this weekend? I'm there sunday with a buddy who's racing an RC51. If your there I will surley stop by and say hi. I might stop by Sat if there is anyone there. Is The shop open tomorrow or will they be at the track?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (superbike2001)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by superbike2001 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would love to see those pics of that RS!!! You racing this weekend? I'm there sunday with a buddy who's racing an RC51. If your there I will surley stop by and say hi. I might stop by Sat if there is anyone there. Is The shop open tomorrow or will they be at the track? </TD></TR></TABLE>

My bike is still broken, I'll be up the street from the track @ Duc Pond in Winchester taking my engine apart with Donnie's guidance. I'll be sure to get pictures of the RS for sure:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Watch the guy (KERN) riding the BMW this weekend. That guy is unbelievablely fast on such a big heavy under powered bike! He even races in the 600 class with the BMW and still finished top 15 or better!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (998R)

How were the get offs at T3? That's a pretty scary spot to do that. T10 is no easy get off either. Seems like guys are crashing further down from the gravel and tire wall everytime.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Summit Point, WV Track Day Report (Dug206)

I only saw the folks in the gravel in T1,3 & 10 after the fact, have no idea what or how it happened...except one guy standing in the gravel in T1 holding his chain in his hand...and spectators telling me that I guy went wide exiting T10, got in the grass, and went down.

Everything else I passed either had guys walking away (a good thing) or dust flying so I couldn't see what was going on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts