Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dr. Carbon
2,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking around for a bike here in NJ/NY and to go along with it some gear. The heat here in the summer is some of the warmest I have lived, same with the humidity..... What if any recommendations do any of you have for some quality gear that I can wear in a tropical climate? I like to wear full gear, full face helmet, jacket (preferably leather), full finger gauntlet gloves, boots that cover the ankles, and denim as far as the pants go.... I don't think I can justify leather pants unless its a road trip...

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Here in the midwest the heat index has been over 100 a few times. I still wear the gear, leather jacket, gloves, boots, full face. I really don't like the mesh stuff, not much protection. I have a friend that wears gym shorts and a t-shirt under his Aero suit, claims it's cooler but I'm not sure. Man, I guess I really don't know of a way to keep cool with the heat.....more throttle?

·
Can Afford To Be Critical
1,852 Posts
M2R makes great mesh gear. Includes shoulder, forearm, back armour but was really comfortable to wear when it was 35C here last week.

Look for the Rallycross stuff.

·
swollen member
643 Posts
I picked up a joe rocket Super Ego Jacket.. All leather but front and rear panels zipper off to a mesh jacket with leather on arms and shoulders and all armour still on. Usually works well on all but the disgustingly hot days ...then I take the Beemer.

For helmets I just picked up the Scorpion EXO 900 flip face. Built in tinted drop down visor, 3 easy to operate vents and the quick change from full to 3/4 (though i doubt i will ever go that route. Also has the pump for cheekpad inflation. Kind of gimmicky but not why i bought.

Gloves ....always leather... some times non gauntlet style

This stuff comes in handy for long trips and short hops, but if i am corner-carving, it's leather and snell all the way

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Call me a gaylord but I have a mesh jacket and mesh trousers... :eek:
Both are made by Spidi, they can fasten together and have all the features you'd expect in a product made by such a reputable manufacturer: CE approved back, elbow and knee protectors, reinforced panels on the back... to top it all up both have removable waterproof lining which fit in an envelope.
Only downside is they don't make grey trousers to match the jacket but I think I can live with that... ;)

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Here in Southern Ontario , Canada , we sometimes get the hot and humid air all the way from the Gulf of Mexico (just as NY) , making moto riding almost unbearable , but a fully perforated leather for evenings and brightly coloured nylon mesh (YELLOW !) during the day are comfortable . For pants , I use the gay Icon denim with the vent in the crotch 'cause it works ; gotta let the boys breathe .

·
Señor Member
1,694 Posts
Here in the midwest the heat index has been over 100 a few times. I still wear the gear, leather jacket, gloves, boots, full face. I really don't like the mesh stuff, not much protection. I have a friend that wears gym shorts and a t-shirt under his Aero suit, claims it's cooler but I'm not sure. Man, I guess I really don't know of a way to keep cool with the heat.....more throttle?
Your friend is right - A roadcrafter lets air blow around inside it... and you can fill the pockets with ice from the soda fountain at the gas station.

And, it will hold together in a fast get-off. I let my wife test that out a few years back. She must have slid 40 yards with no injury or real damage to the suit. Then she rode home. Badass, fer sure.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I have a perforated leather jacket, I usually wear jeans.

I went for a ride the other day with only a t-shirt on, now my arms are sunburnt :mad: Don't think I'll be doing that again.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a perforated leather jacket, I usually wear jeans.

I went for a ride the other day with only a t-shirt on, now my arms are sunburnt :mad: Don't think I'll be doing that again.
I've got one better. I left work the other day 98* humidity maxed out and decided to bungy my vented jacket to the back of my bike. Halfway home I get to thinking if I fall with my jacket straped to my seat I'll feel like a jackass. Before I could slow down it felt like I hit something looked back and saw my jacket laying in the road. My jacket went between my hugger and my tire and messed both up:banghead :banghead Oh yea my odometer read 13000.1

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm not sure... but this may work better than leather with ice...

And it may help with the "even tan".

:wtf Hope he has a cup on with the lack of the rear suspension!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts