Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've seen quite a few sets of used clip ons for sale that don't have holes drilled for the little knob that is on things like the throttle housing and switch gear. I've never installed a set of clip-ons, but I am about to finally get around to doing the ones that have been sitting in a box for three months. Do you guys just take the knobs off instead of having to drill the clip-ons? Any problems with stuff rotating?

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
i drill, although you could possibly try using double back tape if you werent comfortable drilling.. but its pretty simple really, and certainly a safer method (drilling that is)

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll probably snip the nubs off. I get weird and like to move stuff around alot, and so I'd prefer not to have my bars looking like swiss cheese. If I run into issues with them rotating, eBay or ben will probably have what I need. The double stick tape is a good idea.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
I'll probably snip the nubs off. I get weird and like to move stuff around alot, and so I'd prefer not to have my bars looking like swiss cheese. If I run into issues with them rotating, eBay or ben will probably have what I need. The double stick tape is a good idea.

Thanks guys!

if you have straight bars (ie not kyle style), you shouldn't have to swiss cheese them. drill once so that the end of your throttle grip is slightly inward of the end of the bar (so bar ends won't foul the grip). if you want to rotate it just rotate the bar. pretty simple.

·
1,061 Posts
FYI

I just filled the nubs down, then cut up a bike inner tube and put it under my clutch and brake perch. Works perfect! I've down this on three bikes now with zero issues.

But, drilling is probably the most sure way to keep thing from moving.

I guess I like to live dangerously :D

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
for what its worth i just got a set of the carbon fiber clipons from mrgrn and i dont plan on drilling those. im going to use the double back tape system.

·
Short Bus Commander
265 Posts
I'm still running the stockers, but thinking about the question. Use something soft enough that the switch housing/perches can bite in to, that will also grip the bars. From past experiences I would go with the inner tube idea or wrap the bar with a couple layers of electrical tape. I wouldnt use a double sided foam tape, I think the foam would tear and allow movement. I cannot tell if what Tarmacslider suggested is or not. But if it works, it works.
Just my :twocents FWIW

Tarmacslide,
By no means am I trying to discredit you or what you have said. If the tape youre using is a foam tape. Like I said, "If it works, it works" and you have proved me wrong.

Those Mrgrn clip-ons look sweet, Wish List updated :D

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
if you have straight bars (ie not kyle style), you shouldn't have to swiss cheese them. drill once so that the end of your throttle grip is slightly inward of the end of the bar (so bar ends won't foul the grip). if you want to rotate it just rotate the bar. pretty simple.
Yeah, they are the kind that have the machined inside end of the bar so that when you turn them, the angle changes. I've had the clip ons sitting in a box for a while and finally got around to ordering a bar to replace the one that was drilled multiple times by the last guy who had them.

They are the rider version of these: Apex Store

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm still running the stockers, but thinking about the question. Use something soft enough that the switch housing/perches can bite in to, that will also grip the bars. From past experiences I would go with the inner tube idea or wrap the bar with a couple layers of electrical tape. I wouldnt use a double sided foam tape, I think the foam would tear and allow movement. I cannot tell if what Tarmacslider suggested is or not. But if it works, it works.
Just my :twocents FWIW

Tarmacslide,
By no means am I trying to discredit you or what you have said. If the tape youre using is a foam tape. Like I said, "If it works, it works" and you have proved me wrong.

Those Mrgrn clip-ons look sweet, Wish List updated :D
The gray stuff that he posted is almost like a rubbery putty. It's what most of the oem's use to stick on things like the plastic crap stuck to the side of a chevy avalanche to make it an escalade, or those window vent visor thingys. It puts up with the elements pretty well, and is pretty damn hard to tear.

·
Slightly Unstable
496 Posts
yeah the double sides foam tape is crap (although im sure it would work in this situation fairly well) but the the "dum dum" that bmiller is talking about is much better. or the industrial double back tape stuff.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The double sided tape is clear. It is not foam or molding tape used on cars. It is more like working with snot glue. You know the old rubber cement glue that you sniffed back in art class in grade school. Really though I would even try the inner tube idea.:D The tube compare to a 22 dollar roll of tape is cheap.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts