Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I regularly travel in most parts of Asia because of my job and when I do i also look for cool stuff.
Most people by default just reject stuff that are China made and also some other parts of Asia (not Japan :p)
I am quite critical when it comes to stuff like this but since I know metal (it is part of my job) I hope I can spot the lemons and pick out the good stuff.

On my last trip I picked up the stuff below.
The rear set is from Thailand. It was bought from this place.
http://www.club517superbike.com
It is not bad at all actually. Basically a slightly modified copy of a SATO rear set. High quality aluminum, very poor bearing that had to be changed. And I always change Asian bolts to better grades.

The levers are from this place.
Neverland Motor
Really good stuff and dirt cheap!
I could not see the production but I bet that they are made in the same shop that other "high quality" brands are as well.
Very good materials. Craftsmanship could be slightly better but for the price you pay, it is good enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pazzo and CRG levers are made in Canada and California, respectively. Unless you are thinking of some other "high quality" brands?
I don't want to mention any names or brands since I don't know where stuff is made.
But from experience, the High End stuff tends to med made in house but mainstream products tends to be outsourced under License. In Theory it is the same as if they were made in house. The benefit is lower cost, better margins for en company and better prices for the customers.
I have many times seen on branded products leave Asia to be shipped elsewhere, become branded and all of a sudden it is "Made in" that country. The only way to find this out is to ask for a "certificate of origin".

But! All respect to companies that still make all stuff in house!!

Trust me! I am NO big fan of low cost Chinese crap. Like I said. I am very careful when buying stuff. Even if it is cheap it is a waste of money if it is crap.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Pazzo levers are definitely made in Canada...about a 15 min drive from my house.

My buddy is a distributor and knows the owner quite well. I've met him myself nice guy.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I don't want to mention any names or brands since I don't know where stuff is made.
But from experience, the High End stuff tends to med made in house but mainstream products tends to be outsourced under License. In Theory it is the same as if they were made in house. The benefit is lower cost, better margins for en company and better prices for the customers.
I have many times seen on branded products leave Asia to be shipped elsewhere, become branded and all of a sudden it is "Made in" that country. The only way to find this out is to ask for a "certificate of origin".

But! All respect to companies that still make all stuff in house!!

Trust me! I am NO big fan of low cost Chinese crap. Like I said. I am very careful when buying stuff. Even if it is cheap it is a waste of money if it is crap.
That info was straight off both of their websites. It they did what you are talking about, it would be a public relations nightmare for both companies.

The problem with sending the manufacturing of items like these off shore to drop prices is that it will eventually drive out the manufacturers who sell at a higher price to offset the cost of their higher quality products and actual development (and not just blatant copying). The problem is that we (in the west) have become so consumer driven and focused on saving $, that we don't care where it comes from or how it was made.

People wonder why our economy is going to shit.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I bought the same rearsets from Thailand via eBay. Same sort of price too. I have also bought from neverland as they trade on eBay also. The brake & clutch levers are pretty much a rip off of pazzo except the holes are a little looser so there is more slop in the lever pivots. CRG are a better design as they have a roller bearing on the adjuster cam which makes it much smoother. I think pazzo are a little overpriced compared to CRG.
Asian stuff is fine for the money & plenty strong enough. Just not quite as nice to use.
Nick

·
Registered
28 Posts
As I live in China, and in the sourcing business, I am on the same path of looking for stuff from time to time.
I can only agree with you that sometimes there is some nice stuff around.

The main problem is that most of it is blatantly copied, and not everyone wants that on his bike.
A lot of the high end stuff is indeed outsourced here, and copies in various stages of quality are either leaving through the backdoor, or made by the neighbours.

From all the stuff I bought here in recent years, I think the nicest parts are:
- Rearsets, from very nice to pretty crap (special material wise - they break), hard to figure out from a picture,
- Levers: I have the same set as you on my SP-2.
I only had to cut out some material to make them fit on a radial master, very dangerous as the brake lever did not release complete.
Your price mentioned is wayyy too much though!
- CNC machined parts, mainly for Ducati, all kind of non-stress items such as covers, adjusters etc.

I also got (I know the owner) 2 sets of rotors.
The wave rotors are crap, I think they are too open, and they warp on heavy (track) use.
Just go a set of normal rotors for my SP-2, and they seem to stay straight though. It took a bit of time before friction started to built, but they seem ok, although not excellent.

Also have a tonload of fairings and carbon stuff, all in the quality mentioned in the various forums. Some are excellent, some other are so crap you don't even want to fit it on your bike.

So, stuff from China can indeed be interesting, but you need to be very very careful what you buy!

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I would rather not have my feet resting on something could be made of lord knows what. On the track there are a fair amount of forces going through those pegs and brackets. Not a chance I would take.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would rather not have my feet resting on something could be made of lord knows what. On the track there are a fair amount of forces going through those pegs and brackets. Not a chance I would take.
I totally agree with you. So I bought them because they were cheap and before mounting them I had a material analysis made on them at my work.
It turned out to be very good aluminum, T6061, which is a good and strong material. If it would have been poor material I would have had them scrapped and warned people.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I regularly travel in most parts of Asia because of my job and when I do i also look for cool stuff.
Most people by default just reject stuff that are China made and also some other parts of Asia (not Japan :p)
I am quite critical when it comes to stuff like this but since I know metal (it is part of my job) I hope I can spot the lemons and pick out the good stuff.

On my last trip I picked up the stuff below.
The rear set is from Thailand. It was bought from this place.
Rear sets,Frame Slider, à¡ÕÂÃìâ§, ¡Ñ¹ÅéÁ [Powered by Makewebeasy.com]
It is not bad at all actually. Basically a slightly modified copy of a SATO rear set. High quality aluminum, very poor bearing that had to be changed. And I always change Asian bolts to better grades.

The levers are from this place.
Neverland Motor
Really good stuff and dirt cheap!
I could not see the production but I bet that they are made in the same shop that other "high quality" brands are as well.
Very good materials. Craftsmanship could be slightly better but for the price you pay, it is good enough.

I bought the same set direct from the manufacturer. Overall they aren't bad for the money although one peg is different from the other. As well one inboard spacer (inside the gear and brake foot lever) is longer on one side versus the other. I cut down the spacer to bring everything inboard, as I found that they stuck out too far. I did notice that your spacers are the wider variety and you might want to cut off 10mm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.