Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
SSgt Herm
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've removed my wheels numerous times, but yesterday I attempted a quick wheel removal to have new rubber installed. I loosened the chain and attempted to pull out the axle but it will not move. I tried to smack it with a rubber mallet with no joy then sprayed it down with wd40. Nothing. I held a 2x4 up to the axle and hit it with a normal hammer a few times, again, no movement. Last night I purchased some penetrating oil, lubed it and lubed it again this morning. Again, nothing.

Any suggestions before I throw the pig on my trailer and take her somewhere?

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think you're on the right track with penetrating oil. It is probably rusted to the wheel bearings. Pressing it out would be your best bet, but not easy to do - you'd have to support the swingarm from the other side.

You probably don't want to take it to someone to have him beat on it until it comes out. Do it yourself...

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Take off the NUT?

LMAO... I was thinking ths samething;)

Hey Adam,

Get youself an aluminum bar or plate.. Put your nut back on hand tight and back off 1 full turn, then place the aluminum flat over the nut and give her a smack with a BFH! When it moves, back nut off another 1/2 to 1 full turn and repeat.:twocents ... Once it moves alittle.. put the aluminum bar over the bolt and drive it back and forth IF it doesn't move easily going one way!...?
And don't be affraid to use too much of the penetrating oil.;)

I Hope this Helps...?

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Where are you spraying the oil at? If you are just spraying the ends it might not be making it to the bearings if they are what is sticking.

Oh, and put some grease on it when you reinstall it, that will help next time. I went through the same thing a while back when I took the wheel off for the first time since I purchased my bike.

·
SSgt Herm
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Where are you spraying the oil at? If you are just spraying the ends it might not be making it to the bearings if they are what is sticking.

Oh, and put some grease on it when you reinstall it, that will help next time. I went through the same thing a while back when I took the wheel off for the first time since I purchased my bike.
I'm sure the oil isn't getting to the bearing because it isn't helping.

How did you end up getting yours off?

·
SSgt Herm
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The wheel is loose and I can move it forward and back just a little, chain is totally loose and off the sprocket in the back.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I'm sure the oil isn't getting to the bearing because it isn't helping.

How did you end up getting yours off?
I had to beat on it with a hammer, most of the way out too, had to use a big ratchet extension as a punch. It was a pain in the ass and I was actually really worried about ****ing up the axle. If you have a brass punch, that will help keep the axle from getting damaged.

Another option is to make yourself a puller out of some all thread and some nuts, washers and a socket or something big enough for the "head" of the axle to fit into. Put the all thread through the axle, put the socket over the axle head and put a nut and washer outside of the socket. Then go to the other side and put a nut and washer on it and tighten down until the axle starts to move. Just be aware that the socket will probably try to turn and mar up your swingarm, so maybe put something between the two like a piece of wood. You might also want to put two nuts outside the socket and tighten them together, it will make it easier. Of course there are risks here too, most of the all thread that you can get at places like home depot isn't all that great. Get the coarse threaded stuff and it probably wont strip. It really depends on how stuck your axle is.

I don't suppose you have an air hammer? That would probably get it out pretty fast, but I would use it carefully .....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts