Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this info on MS already, but thought it would be worthwhile to get it to the masses via all of the forums so that those of you considering a new ducati might look elsewhere. There are major engine problems with all 1098/1198 motors that I have experienced first hand. Ducati will not own up to these issues. Hopefully, this post will end most thoughts of anyone buying a new ducati. the problem lies in engine design, which cannot be fixed by warranty service. The vertical cyl of all these motors will fail at the head gasket and base gasket. disassemly of these parts has not revealed the problem, but nevertheless, the engines will fail and leak thru both gaskets. My gut feeling is poor crankcase venting, but ducati will not admit to this. After my 3rd engine service, I will pursue the usual channels of the lemon law. Still, I want to know, as I have several ducatis from '92 851, '93 888SPO, '95 SS900SP (cover bike of Desmo Leanings spring '09), several 999's, etc. No real issues with any of them except Ohlins refusing to warranty the '04 fork seals (ohlins, not ducati), and the mono subframes of the 749/999 series, which I have had to gusset weld myself, since ducati would not support the defect.

My last purchase, a new street fighter, began leaking thru the gaskets at 300 miles. I paid $15.000 cash for this bike. Not to mention the $23.000 for the '04 999S from Ferraci over xmas '03. At least, that testa stayed together. All I asked for was what I paid for, a new, working bike. Ducati NA refused, leaving me with the repair alternatives and lawsuits. Unless you relish these kind of problems, do not buy a ducati and send this to your bike buds.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Once wasn't enough?
Also, am I understanding that you had an oil leak and asked for a new bike? If so I say HA! You are not only a whiner, you may be insane.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts