Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted this info on MS already, but thought it would be worthwhile to get it to the masses via all of the forums so that those of you considering a new ducati might look elsewhere. There are major engine problems with all 1098/1198 motors that I have experienced first hand. Ducati will not own up to these issues. Hopefully, this post will end most thoughts of anyone buying a new ducati. the problem lies in engine design, which cannot be fixed by warranty service. The vertical cyl of all these motors will fail at the head gasket and base gasket. disassemly of these parts has not revealed the problem, but nevertheless, the engines will fail and leak thru both gaskets. My gut feeling is poor crankcase venting, but ducati will not admit to this. After my 3rd engine service, I will pursue the usual channels of the lemon law. Still, I want to know, as I have several ducatis from '92 851, '93 888SPO, '95 SS900SP (cover bike of Desmo Leanings spring '09), several 999's, etc. No real issues with any of them except Ohlins refusing to warranty the '04 fork seals (ohlins, not ducati), and the mono subframes of the 749/999 series, which I have had to gusset weld myself, since ducati would not support the defect.

My last purchase, a new street fighter, began leaking thru the gaskets at 300 miles. I paid $15.000 cash for this bike. Not to mention the $23.000 for the '04 999S from Ferraci over xmas '03. At least, that testa stayed together. All I asked for was what I paid for, a new, working bike. Ducati NA refused, leaving me with the repair alternatives and lawsuits. Unless you relish these kind of problems, do not buy a ducati and send this to your bike buds.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
A couple of leaks is NOT an engine failure. Give me a break :wtf.

If you have been speaking to Ducati about these leaks as though they were an engine failure I can fully understand why they have told you to go away.

An engine failure is when it sticks a connecting rod through the block or drops a valve or otherwise sh!ts itself. I guess constantly blowing a head gasket could be considered an issue, but by the way your post reads it sounds like an oil leak ... no biggie at all.

Also everybody knows that Ducati (er, Italian) quality or lack there of, means you might get a good one or you might get one assembled by Luigi who is current pissed with his boss for no reason other than he actually has to work.
Pete

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I've had a 999 and a 999s both of the rock solid. Only issue I had was and adjustment of the TPS sensor (common). If you are having the dame issues following you I then would believe it's something you are doing vs poor bike design.

·
Panigaliscious
9,103 Posts
I can understand that you bought a new bike and paid a premium for it you expect perfection or close to it. If you were new to Ducati this post would be somewhat understandable. But you have had many Ducatis over the years from different eras of Ducati as a company, so you must realize they are a relatively tiny manufacturer.

This doesn't make it excusable for a bike to leak oil, but this is just reality with these bikes sometimes. It is not an "engine failure", it is just poor quality checks during the assembly process, but should be relatively easy to repair it.

If owning them is too much trouble, maybe another brand should be considered.

·
Registered
594 Posts
how many more places you going to post this without all the info. it does suck to have it happen. was reading over on .ms this morning and you alteast put in all the info about a head gasket leak not engine failure. should have included that here too:wtf also, where can i find a demo bike for $15:wacky I paid $15.000 cash for this bike. Not to mention the $23.000 for the '04 999S now go sign up on a few other forums and complain about your blown engine oops i mean head gasket

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion

Do We need to Discuss Rocker Issues on the 748-916 Series?

I have replaced or replated all of openers twice in 12,000 miles.

·
Registered
802 Posts
First I have heard of this and my ear is to the ground for any noise of mechanical issues surrounding the Ducati motor. Zero so far regarding engine failure of any kind nor anything about oil leaks in the area you describe. I'm on my second Testastretta motor and I'm convinced its a robust piece of machinery, an improved version of the desmoquattro, thank god. I don't count the 2V motored Ducatis I've had, they are assumed to be bullet proof other than some issues on the early model motors.

·
Currently: Moderating
12,576 Posts
I have posted this info on MS already, but thought it would be worthwhile to get it to the masses via all of the forums so that those of you considering a new ducati might look elsewhere.
So first California Cycleworks should be boycotted and now you stepped it up to an entire manufacturer? You are one funny Mofo!:clapper

·
Registered
287 Posts
Kicked the Krap outta' my 996 today for a few miles.I'd replaced rockers years earlier too.Still nice machines.

Woander what your problems revolve around

·
Dis Member
324 Posts
I have posted this info on MS already, but thought it would be worthwhile to get it to the masses via all of the forums so that those of you considering a new ducati might look elsewhere. There are major engine problems with all 1098/1198 motors that I have experienced first hand. Ducati will not own up to these issues. Hopefully, this post will end most thoughts of anyone buying a new ducati. the problem lies in engine design, which cannot be fixed by warranty service. The vertical cyl of all these motors will fail at the head gasket and base gasket. disassemly of these parts has not revealed the problem, but nevertheless, the engines will fail and leak thru both gaskets. My gut feeling is poor crankcase venting, but ducati will not admit to this. After my 3rd engine service, I will pursue the usual channels of the lemon law. Still, I want to know, as I have several ducatis from '92 851, '93 888SPO, '95 SS900SP (cover bike of Desmo Leanings spring '09), several 999's, etc. No real issues with any of them except Ohlins refusing to warranty the '04 fork seals (ohlins, not ducati), and the mono subframes of the 749/999 series, which I have had to gusset weld myself, since ducati would not support the defect.

My last purchase, a new street fighter, began leaking thru the gaskets at 300 miles. I paid $15.000 cash for this bike. Not to mention the $23.000 for the '04 999S from Ferraci over xmas '03. At least, that testa stayed together. All I asked for was what I paid for, a new, working bike. Ducati NA refused, leaving me with the repair alternatives and lawsuits. Unless you relish these kind of problems, do not buy a ducati and send this to your bike buds.
Someone needs a blankie and a nap..........

·
Registered
802 Posts
First I have heard of this and my ear is to the ground for any noise of mechanical issues surrounding the Ducati motor. Zero so far regarding engine failure of any kind nor anything about oil leaks in the area you describe. I'm on my second Testastretta motor and I'm convinced its a robust piece of machinery, an improved version of the desmoquattro, thank god. I don't count the 2V motored Ducatis I've had, they are assumed to be bullet proof other than some issues on the early model motors.
Except maybe the recent post on MS regarding the exploding SF motor.

·
Registered
750 Posts
What oil do you use? Are you sure the oil comes from gaskets? Wouldn't it be a "blow by" issue? (as far as i know, the only "issue" that suffer the testastrettas....easly fixable).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts