Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was playing with my RC30 throttle last night when changing the clip-ons and noticed that the throttle returns slow fdor some reason, why? i see there is a spring thingie down by the left side of the carbs, should i spray the spring with some lube? i also have the part off by the throttle and should i spray something down there as well?

thanks for any help offered:notworthy

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Grab the cable and unhook it from the cam. Now when you flip the cam is it snappy? Then hold the soldered end and turn the throttle and see if the resistance is in the cable, or the throttle tube.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can do that or you can throw some lube down the cable. I lube my cable every 4 months or so:wtf:woot:

·
Registered
115 Posts
The detective work idea is good.. I'd lube the cable anyway. I use Tri-Flow, it has teflon in it and doesn't seem to attract dust(carry over from my bicycle racing days). I also use some lightwieght grease on the cable end, and polish the clip on tube with more Tri-Flow sprayed in the throttle tube.. :twocents
Just outa curiosity, did the throttle have a lot of stiction before you swapped clip-ons? I've seen throttle cable ends twisted in the 1/4 turn assembly, resulting in a lot of binding..

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys good tips. where do i find that spray?

The only thing i did was slide the throttle off and slide it on the new tubes and i installed new grips with some muscle. I am not sure about the action prior because i have hardly run the bike and have no begin point.

will WD work?

keep in mind this bike sat some in 15 years with little use

·
Registered
13 Posts
check this for me, i'm not sure but double check

honda uses a pin in the lower clamp of the throttle tube housing to locate the assembly on the stock clip-ons.. make sure your new clip ons have this hole in the tube or grind off the pin so it fits properly.. you have to dissamble the throttle assembly to see what i mean, or just look at the bottom of the old clip-on tube for a hole, that's the locating hole.. you need to make sure the pin locates itself in this hole (if it exists on the new clip-on tube)

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i forgot about the litle plastic pin mang, shite:banghead i got the signal side and forgot about the throttle side. Just curious though, why would that slow down the return, maybe pinched or something?

thanks for the thomas edison:notworthy

·
Registered
13 Posts
umm perhaps the pin takes up all the cable slack or the housing is cocked at a funny angle and binding the throttle tube.. i've overlooked it enough times to know when it's causing a problem... at least it was an easy fix and it works now right?

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
mrgrn said:
i will have to check later as the bike is not here now. I am sure i botched up somin when assin on the new grip and chit:mad:

i hope my new black pazzos will come in soon:rockon
Next time try a small air nozzle and compressed air. You can navagate the grip way easier.:twocents

·
Registered
115 Posts
Tri-Flow is available at most good bicyle shops, and I think home depot/wal-mart now a days.. Black areosol can with orange and yellow three way arrow logo(triflow eh). It is much more expensive than WD40 or JB80, but worth it. Its got teflon in it, sticks to surfaces well, and doesn,t attract dust/dirt like oil and othe cable lubing media.. Oh, and it smells kinda like banana..:D ((my personal experience)) - If you spray a door hinge with WD penetrating lube, it starts to squeek again in a few weeks; Use Tri-Flow and it won,t squeek for 5-6 months. I feel it's worth the extra dough, for most applications..:twocents

Funny about yer locating pin foul; it happened to me once too, but I forgot in your time of need..:p

·
Registered
115 Posts
Lube the dang cable and pivot points.. Check for binding in the 1/4 turn assembly while you have the cable off the top. I sand/polish the clip on under the throttle tube. Triflow inside the throttle tube, inside the cable(use a luber tool,very EZ), and put lightwieght grease/white lithium spray lube in the cable guide area and on both end of the cable.. gottta assume the grips aren't fouling the 1/4 turn housing or bar/bar-end. If you remove the cable it is quite easy to tell if it's bad(any friction/gravely action after lubing is terms for dismissal). :rolleyes:

You got an RC30 dude: you are the warranty. Enjoy it, I would. :rockon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts