Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Just looking for experienced opinions. Looking at buying either a Hyperpro RSC or Scotts steering damper. Ohlins are no longer available for my 2001 SP1 as far as I am aware so its between these 2.

Are they much the same in reliability & performance? Not much difference in price. I just got a really nice TYGA Black top triple clamp (thanks Glenn) so I want it to also match that. I am leaning towards a Hyperpro RSC in Black with Gold fittings.

It's a daily rider so take that into account (will never sell it, engines can be rebuilt).

Cheers

Ash :rockon

Attachments

·
Workaholic
224 Posts
Ash,

I've owned both the HyperPro RSC and now the Scott's. For a daily rider, the feel won't make much difference. The Scott's does have much more adjustment. The HyperPro was a single click device that you had to put your faith in. That being said, I have been put into awkward situations with canyon riding and both have succeeded in keeping me upright. *Not that I credit the damper fully, but a tankslapper was avoided.

Overall, my decision was finally based on maintenance and ease of replacement. The HyperPro being a shaft style damper was more exposed to possible damage and had significantly less distributors for replacement parts. Mounting across different platforms was more difficult (600rr and RC51) and I was annoyed with having to remove it every time I wanted to lift the tank.

The rubber O-rings that were on the HyproPro had also started to dry rot. This is easily replaceable at any auto-parts but the Scott's is fully encased and did not have this issue.

My recommendation is to take the maintenance into consideration and compare pricing. Go with whichever has a really good deal if those little issues are of no concern to you.

Hmmm, you just gave me an idea for a Blog post on my site. lol

Hope this helps you,

Andy

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Andy

There is little difference in cost between the Scotts & the Hyperpro, the only reason I started to look at the Hyperpro was because the Ohlins version was the same piston type.

Thanks for your experience Andy

Cheers

Ash

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I have always used scotts, so I can't compare. I have never had a problem with them though in over 10 years.

Oh, and please take that red key off your key chain!!!!! It will ruin that nice pretty triple clamp. I never understood why people did that?

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
I have always used scotts, so I can't compare. I have never had a problem with them though in over 10 years.

Oh, and please take that red key off your key chain!!!!! It will ruin that nice pretty triple clamp. I never understood why people did that?

+1 OR I guess it is 2 now,;) with the Ohlins OPPS! I mean the Scotts Steering damper!

+1 about the key as well, as b.miller stated, over time it WILL mess up your Sweet black Trip-Tree bro.

Now I have 1 Different tip for YOU and your RC51 and that is.... for the love of god.... Please replace your BLACK ass brake fluid, DAMN!!~:eek: :p HAHAHaa

Hey Ash, Love Your RED RC51 mang., and those Sweet rims too.:rockon

Peace Jeff

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
Another vote for the Scotts. With multilple mounts it can be changed from bike to bike quickly. It crashes much better. The gold Scotts would look great on your black triple!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Again

To answer the brake fluid question -it is actually green and only 5 months old, it is Shell brake fluid, took that photo with my phone, I service it every 6 months with all fresh fluids so it is almost time anyway.

Also the red house key - I removed that shortly after I took the photo last week, did not want to mess up my brand new TYGA either.

Thanks again for the steering damper information :cool:

Cheers

Ash

·
Workaholic
224 Posts
No problem Ash,

Yeah I figured the brake fluid was a synthetic Dot 5 or something.

I think you made a good choice with the Scott's. I would consider a GPR but I already have 2 Scott's Dampers. :)

I need to do another one of these photoshoots...
Misc

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have used the Scotts damper on my SP1 and it was excellent, looked good, easy to fit and worked a treat! You won't be disappointed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts