Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TOP GUN Instructor
5,717 Posts
Hello *RJ*,

So,.. You want to know how hard of a job Steering Bearings is eh... HUMMMmmm

IMO Rating 1 to 10: 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest, I'll say IF\As long as you're good with(meaning You have them) tools and Padock stands, I'll say the job for "me" is a (2). Biggest part of this job is being SAFE> then Time and Tools.

#1) Please> Tell me YOU have a HONDA Service manual and you'll not be doing the job via SpeedZilla:banghead As long as You have said Honda S.M. You'll be good.
#2) Said> Padock Stands
#3) Tools
Last but not least #4) Is Time..... Always take your Time and Do it RIGHT the First time!;)

I Hope this Helps

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do have a manual. I was just seeing how hard it would be . I guy that does my suspension said he would do it. He used to me a mechanic on a Honda race team and they raced RCs so he knows them in and out.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Borrow/rent the extractor/driver set from your local Honda dealer.
It will make the work much, much easier. :)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey RJ, it's actually pretty easy. The manual confused me more then anything and the hardest part of it all is getting the old race off the steering stem. Once that's done freeze the stem and heat the bearing to 200-250 in the oven. I used an old race and a piece of PVC pipe to help pound the new bearing on. Put the old race on top of the bearing (don't forget the new dust seal) and get a piece of pvc big enough to go around the stem and fit on the old race. I think it was 1.5" PVC about 12" long. With a good mallet pound it on and you'll be fine. Took me about an hour to get the bike apart and finally get the race off and then about 30 minutes to get the new one on and put together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts