Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just did my valves, flushed the coolant. Radiators came off, I drained the system and refilled w.Dexcool/distilled water mix (same stuff I use in my 916 with no issues). While I didn't measure the ratio exactly I know I used at LEAST 50% Dex.
I got about 5 miles now for first ride and the temp got up 120C and I pulled over to cool it off. It's about 88F outside now but I've ridden it in at least htis hot before and it never gets up to 120C (about 248F). The fan is on so everything there is working properly. I hooked up everything I took apart as well.

I don't think (but am stripping it down now) I pinched anything but who knows - I mean there's not really anything to pinch, w.the main hoses being too big for that.

Any usual suspects here you can think of to check? I have a big ride in the morning and am screwed if I can't get this worked out this evening! Help!

Thanks...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: ST4 ovrheating aftr 12K mi srvce, need input pls! (doocatiboy)

You may just have a bit of air in the radiator. This has happened to me before.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we usually run them with the fronts raised - on the slope out of the workshop or even with the front raised on the workbench. they can get airlocks in teh rear head area as there's no bleed hole like the 851/888 and no tube to the reservoir like a 916.

that or a 4 gear wheelie might do the trick.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: ST4 ovrheating aftr 12K mi srvce, need input pls! (infoage1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by infoage1 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You may just have a bit of air in the radiator. This has happened to me before.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

What infoage1 said, plus, did you go ahead and change your thermostat?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Indeed, it was simply a half mile wheelie that fixed it. Not really. I opened the rad and saw that, despite the res being full, it was only about half full. So I think it was the air. I filled it directly to the rad and then filled the res yesterday but had to be an air situation. Ran it w.the cap off and it drank a good bit more - a 8mi ride confirmed everything copasetic, temp didn't get above 92C.

Thanks fellas.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: ST4 ovrheating aftr 12K mi srvce, need input pls! (doocatiboy)

On some bikes it helps to lean it far to the left then far to the right with the pressure cap off after filling. This will help burp the system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts