Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought a used double clicker rear shock that is sprung for 190 lb rider and I'm 140lbs. Any way I ordered me a new spring last week and in prep for it getting here I was looking at getting the spring off of it and well I'm stuck. If I take it off the top it has the fitting that has to come off and I'll lose the nitrogen. Well I'm not sure what I will loose or mess up if I take it off the bottom? Well what do you guys know about it? Which way do I go???

HELP :banghead:banghead Hoovy

·
Registered
83 Posts
You should be able to back off the preload all the way and move the spring up to slip the collar off the bottom. If you cannot do it this, way you have to use a spring compressor to compress the spring to slip the bottom collar off.

On the Elka I had on my SV, all I had to do was back off the preload collar all the way and slip the collar off the bottom. The Ohlins I have currently, needs a spring compressor.

I haven't used a Penske before, but most shocks are all the same in the way they retain the spring to the shock.

·
Registered
295 Posts
From the user manual and parts list, the spring is held on to the lower spring mount by a wire ring.
If you mount the shock in a spring compressor and compress the lower mount down far enough, you should be able to remove the wire ring.
That should allow the lower mount to clear the lower eyelet.
At least that's my take on it.
Those who have actually done it can correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

I couldn't believe you would have to recharge the shock everytime you changed springs. I knew there had to be an easier way, thanks. I looked at the parts list but missed that spring. This site allways comes through!! :notworthy
THANKS Hoovy

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I See Now!!

Well I went out and got the top ring all the way loose and the bottom perch loose. There is a ring around the bottom holding it on. Looks like all I have to do remove the spring and it should come off. Might try getting it off after lunch to see. I took some pics after I got it loose. LATER HOOVY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts