Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Spring loaded Frame Sliders (kiwigav)

Well, I like to have an up close and personal relationship with asphalt...but sometimes the relationship gets too up close and personal.....these would be real trick if they would spring the bike back up after contact...otherwise they are just something else to toss in the trash bin after exceeding the 54 degree roll limit on an R6.

The Plastic Doctor called me today and said it was time to come get my bodywork back...as a serial offender, er, customer, I am getting a discount rate. I am thinking that there must be BIG money to be made in paper mache bodywork.....use and abuse and then just toss. Hey, the AMA guys just toss their expensive bodywork and tanks in the trash...they don't fix it. Got one of Kletus' gas tanks after he wadded up his 600 at VIR...minimal damage. But I don't ride Honders anymore so I gave it away

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Spring loaded Frame Sliders (kiwigav)

I saw a set of spring loaded sliders at the suzuki dealer near home. cool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Spring loaded Frame Sliders (Buckelew)

correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't sliders on "springs" collapase and move inward, letting the bodywork get damaged? the slider has to be rigid to keep the asphalt moster from chewing on your side panels and engine covers.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those popped up back in 01 for stunters. Mostly home-made jobs, I believe one company actually produced them in quantity.
They were really designed for slow speed wheelies gone bad....bike falling from a 12:0clock onto it's side w/ full weight of the bike pounding it.

Other than for that single (stunt) application, they really don't do much.
Regular sliders would(are) really be better for anything other than slow-speed tip-overs.

Modified by CCS-Expert347 at 2:35 PM 8/13/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (CCS-Expert347)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CCS-Expert347 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those popped up back in 01 for stunters. Mostly home-made jobs, I believe one company actually produced them in quantity.
They were really designed for slow speed wheelies gone bad....bike falling from a 12:0clock onto it's side w/ full weight of the bike pounding it.

Other than for that single (stunt) application, they really don't do much.
Regular sliders would(are) really be better for anything other than slow-speed tip-overs.

Modified by CCS-Expert347 at 2:35 PM 8/13/2005</TD></TR></TABLE>

That is pretty much what I was thinking.....if your bike fell sideways exactly perpendicular to the bike, they would help you....if your bike is sliding at 85 mph on its side, that spring ain't gonna do diddly squat...I have picked up my bike more than once and stood there staring at a brand new set of Intuitive Products sliders that were ground down to the nub....both the frame slider and the rear spool slider.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Spring loaded Frame Sliders (Rigor)

They are "frame sliders." Not "fairing savers". They help prevent possible frame damage. Why does everyone think they are supposed to keep the bodywork from getting rashed up? Plastic is alot cheaper than a new frame.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts