Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating a move to Albuquerque, and one prime consideration is the presence or absence of decent sportbike roads. :D Any good ones? The road to the top of Sandia peak looks nice, but it's pretty short - I didn't see any other good ones when I visited a few weeks ago.

·
Geez. Some people...
1,615 Posts
Anywhere there's mountains, there must be some good riding, right?

I know there are some good roads up near Santa Fe and Taos, but I'm not sure about ABQ.

Go to the SMRI website at http://www.smri-racing.org/index.htm . They run track days and races out there, and they have a forum so you can ask the locals what's up...

There's also the ASMA ( http://www.asmaracing.com ), which holds races down in Deming. That's a great group of people, and a nice safe race track, so if you do move out there you should definitely give them a visit!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Bourque Roads

Bourque Roads eh...

We got a few right in the area that are pretty good fun.

South 14
This is a fast paced sets of twisties that runs through some canyons in the Manzano mountains. Shoulders and runoff to forgive the newbs for mistakes. Light Traffic.

North 14
This is a open throttle rampage to Santa Fe that you'll love if you just like to top the bike out every now and again. Some good twisties, but not many. Kinda Haggard road surface. but hell, its streetbikes.

Sandia Crest
This is a technical Ride to the top of the Sandia Mountain range. This is the favorite of many riders around here, so its good social exposure. But it also gets crowded from time to time. New Pavement as of this month and a good surfacing technique make it fun as all hell. Cliff face one side, and drop-off or guardrail on the other make this unforgiving and not for the headstrong or inexperienced riders.

Jemez Mtns
This is about an hour out of time, but its a really nice mountain range with well maintained long twisty roads that take you the long way to Santa Fe. About 2 hours of good riding here, but its an hour away and deposits you an hour away. Day trips for sure and bring a lunch cause its beautiful in the mountains. Medium Technical Difficulty with grass on the sides of the roads. Some parts dangerous, but for the most part an easy chill ride.

Espanola - Colorado
If you head north past santa fe for about 40 minutes, you get on some great twisty canyon runs that can turn into 8+ hours of hard riding through Tierra Guerra, Chama, Pagosa Springs, and pretty much anywhere in the colo rockies from there. During the summer this is the illest ride, lots of speed, corners and scenery. I would advise this ride to anyone, but make a weekend or a couple days of it, cuz you'll be sore. :rockon

Tracks
We have a track in Albuquerque itself, right next to the detention center. :) Its not huge,
www.smri-racing.org
But its enough to practice and race on. They hold AMA regionals there along with La Junta CO, and Arroyo Seco in Deming, NM. Both other tracks are ~4 hours away. La Junta isnt worth it, its two old runways with shitty concrete between. Arroryo Seco is nice tho, good surface, long track, S-curves.

The City Proper
Riding in ABQ is just str8 up dangerous mang. Riding in the countryside is chill, but the people in this city drive really stupid. Lots of people ride their rockets in the city, most of them lack helmets and jackets and dont last long in the Bike Game. There are people of course who cruise the streets, but IMHO they are less devoted to the sport of motorcycling, and more devoted to their ego's size. This city is nutz mang, no joke, but if you do decide to roll out here and become of of Bourque's L33t3$t riders, then come ride with us. We ride safe, and fast.

Andres G Stowell
2000 Yamaha R6
2 years sportbiker
16 years motorcyclist
Age 24
Racer wannabe

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks for the tips! I'd heard about Arroyo Seco but didn't know about SMRI - I figured I'd have to drive 6+ hours to PPIR or Firebird to get out on the track. :( NOT acceptable. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts