Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i went to Rogue's site and got most of the info i needed about the sprocket swap...im switching to a 42 rear and keeping the front stock ,my question is.............. will that throw off the spedo too...or is it, only if u change the front sprocket???

·
Registered
550 Posts
Any change in front or back sprockets will affect the speedo to some level. Guesstimating, I would say there'd be a -5% difference in the speedo reading. And incidentally, the speedo is probably off +5% from the factory!

·
Ready to Tanqueray?
700 Posts
EvilTwin-05 said:
My question is why do the rear when you will get greater results with a front -1 and it also is cheaper.
Because you get even more oomph with -1/+1 and the wheelbase is almost stock!:rockon

·
Registered
182 Posts
Exactly - just do the 15T up front and leave the rest alone. The wheelbase will change slightly and the sprocket only costs $35 and you'll get a tad more grunt than the 42T rear by itself.

I did this and it worked awesome. Later i added the 41T rear and it got even better.

·
Registered
2,958 Posts
southpark460 said:
Any change in front or back sprockets will affect the speedo to some level. Guesstimating, I would say there'd be a -5% difference in the speedo reading. And incidentally, the speedo is probably off +5% from the factory!

Stock speedo is 7% optimistic from the factory at freeway speeds. That error is non-linear & grows as your speed increases so while you may be only 7% off at 75mph at 130 you may be 14% off.

Making the final drive taller (smaller countershaft sprocket or larger rear sprocket) will increase that %

·
Registered
550 Posts
LDH said:
Making the final drive taller (smaller countershaft sprocket or larger rear sprocket) will increase that %
Really? I guess my line of thought was off. If I have a larger rear sprocket, then the rear tire would spin faster with the same engine work, offsetting the overly-aggressive speedo right? Or am I way off here? :confused:

·
SSgt Herm
76 Posts
Another question about this subject....

The previous owner upgraded to the 520 chain and 15/41 conversion. I have heard that the DID chain will last a LONG time. My rear sprocket has a good amount of wear and I'm looking to get a new one. Question...Should I change the FRONT sprocket as well and how long do sprockets and chains last?...DID ERV2 chain and AFAM sprockets?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
adamgh81 said:
...Should I change the FRONT sprocket as well?
Yes, you should change both sprockets and the chain at the same time. The exeption would be if you had a stock setup or new setup, and didn't care for the gearing, you could then change out a sprocket w/o changing the whole setup. (Assuming you have low mileage on that current setup)

·
SSgt Herm
76 Posts
dhdrider said:
Assuming you have low mileage on that current setup
The previous owner put about 4000 miles on chain/sprocket and I've put about 4000 miles on it also....8000 miles on the chain and sprockets...and the rear is ready to get replaced. Do you consider that low mileage?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
adamgh81 said:
...8000 miles on the chain and sprockets...and the rear is ready to get replaced. Do you consider that low mileage?
Nope. Replace the front, too. Front sprockets are cheap anyway. If you get yours from a a local shop and they use Parts Unlimited as a supplier, JT sprockets makes a good front for the RC. It is also drilled. It is a good buy for the $$.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts