Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a few months from buying, but I thought I'd ask for input on what I'm currently wrestling with. I'm replacing my Guzzi with a bike to carry me around LA, do trackdays on and ride to Starbucks so I look cool.

I know there is a bit of daydreaming going on (indulge me), but there's going to be something new and sexy in my garage in the next few months. Yeah, a GSXR600 might make more sense, but the Japanese Supersport 4s all seem a bit disposable to me and I simply can't imagine paying one off over time.

My old Guzzi:

Option One: Aprilia RSV1000R Big and comfy (I'm 6'3") and feels great.

Option Two: Ducati 749 Dark. Sexy. Damn Sexy.

Option Three: A Used 996 (sat on one today). The most beautiful motorcycle ever penned. Period. But used and maybe a little obsolete?

Option Four: R1100S Replika. Ok, so it's not for everyone, but I like it. A lot. It is VERY comfortable and the height isn't a porblem for my 6'3" frame. It's unique and has a very cool presence to it and will be as reliable as the sunrise.

What do you all think? Anything I'm forgetting?

(yes, I'm over my DL1000 crush. Its just not sexy enough for me, and as much as I'd like to think that didn't matter, it does.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Spend my $13,000 (Cafe_Racer)

I love Ducati's but I'd be hard pressed to pick a 749 over a prilla 1K. I don't think you can go wrong with any of your choices...

Go with whatever floats your boat. However if you don't have a lot to spend on maintenance I'd stay away from the Ducati. If you only road it to Starbucks and back you'd be lucky to put on more than 3K a year...but I rode my 998 and went through two major services (6k/12K) in 13 months.

I've cut back and cage it...my ass has almost recovered and I feel I can drive by West Hollywood with a new found respect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If your into posing and enormous maintenance cost, all of the above.

If your into riding around corners fast and the occasional sprint across town, GSX-R750

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Spend my $13,000 (BALLS)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALLS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your into posing and enormous maintenance cost, all of the above.

If your into riding around corners fast and the occasional sprint across town, GSX-R750
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Speaking from experience or rumor there BALLS? In other words have you owned any of the above bikes. Just wondering.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Spend my $13,000 (jager)

Many mags claim that the current GSXR750 is the perfect sportbike. However, if it doesn't excite you, then it's not the bike for you.

What is wrong with the Guzzi?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jager »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Speaking from experience or rumor there BALLS? In other words have you owned any of the above bikes. Just wondering.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't care to own any of them. I am a simplistic person if I can't do my own maintenance on a particualr bike I won't own it. I don't have the money to send it back to Italy/Germany for a valve adjustment.

Why argue with success the GSX-R750 is about as perfect a bike as anyone would want, handles good, ease of maintenace, cost alot less than any of the above and there is 20 years of developement wrapped up in it not to mention the aftermarket available for it.

Exotics have their place but not in my garage. Do as you may it was only my opinion take it or leave it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Out of those choices , I would buy the 996.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BALLS »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't care to own any of them. I am a simplistic person if I can't do my own maintenance on a particualr bike I won't own it. I don't have the money to send it back to Italy/Germany for a valve adjustment.

Why argue with success the GSX-R750 is about as perfect a bike as anyone would want, handles good, ease of maintenace, cost alot less than any of the above and there is 20 years of developement wrapped up in it not to mention the aftermarket available for it.

Exotics have their place but not in my garage. Do as you may it was only my opinion take it or leave it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

opinion taken into account(but I usually put more valve into opinions based on fact/experience not hearsay)

First of all, love the guzzi, very nice.

If it was MY choice(yours may vary) from the ones listed above I would probably go with the 996, or maybe the boxer b/c I've always liked em and hardly ever see them.

What I would go with outside of those listed would be the 998 (no rocker issue) for the FF look, S4R (996, so maybe some rocker issues) little biased here or the new speed triple for the naked look. But that damn KTM 990 supermotard would probably be the bike I will get next, but only if I keep the S4. But apparently I'm a poser so what do I know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A few years ago I dragged my dad ( he's in his 50's ) into an Italian dealership. He really liked the Ducatis and Arpilias but when he saw that Guzzi, he said it was by far the most beautiful motorcycle he'd ever seen. He still mentions it every now and then.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jager »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

opinion taken into account(but I usually put more valve into opinions based on fact/experience not hearsay)

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hearsay or what ever you choose to call it still does not convince me to spend $13k + on something I can't work on or anyone else can on this side of the pond. If you ride 3k miles a year total then fine buy one of those type bikes, me I'd wear the thing slam out in 6 months or spend half my quality riding time working on it or at least trying to figure out how to. Japanese bikes seem to be more down to earth in the tech department. They are not perfect by any stretch. What ever floats your boat but for a measely $8500 bucks you can basically be leaving all those bikes listed in the dust, handling and maintenance wise with money left to actually enjoy riding the bike.

BTW Cafe your Guzzi looks cool

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Of your choices, RSV or the Boxer Prep. Why, because those are the 2 I have considered. I would probably go with the Boxer because I commute 60 miles a day. If it is more for fun, sell the Guzzi to me cheap
and get the RSV.

I do agree that the GSXR750 is the best combo of price, power, and handling.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Spend my $13,000 (Chris)

Thanks for the thoughts and compliments.

The Guzzi is gone. Nothing whatsoever wrong with it except it didn't fit me. I also think it is perhaps one of the most beautiful bike I've ever seen (can I say that if I owned it?). There was no legroom, a huge reach to those clip-ons, and the tank didn't allow you to tuck your knees in on the freeway. It did make the most wonderful sounds though.

I WANT to want a GSXR. The problem is that every time I look at one and think of owning it, I imagine how many newer versions will come out between now and three years form now when I'm done paying it off. Japanese bikes (to me) have an air of disposabiliy to them. Granted, they're going to perform better for less money, but when I think about writing a check every month to own something, I can't see myself doing that for a Gixer. I need something that stirrs me more than that. Make sense?

The Boxer is the Dark Horse. It has TONS of presence when you're encoutered by one. I'm just worried that it wont be fast enough and might be too heavy (it weight the same 487lbs as the Guzzi). The Duc still stirrs me, but no, I don't want to spend a lot of money maintaining it. I am, however, minutes away from both BH Ducati and Hammy Boys so there are shops close by.

The Aprilia to me is an Italian SP2. It lacks something in sex appeal, but man is it comfy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Oh and a few more pics of the V11 for the fans.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

get the 996 but i have to agree with balls about the 7 fiddy gixxer cause i had 2 of them and damn do i miss them.
but if u got the papers go for the duc or whatever floats ur boat. but i will be getting another 7 fiddy soon for just track use. as all my friends still ride suzuki's and hell parts are cheap and bike is easy to work on. plus more reliable
i know i have 998 but im pretty realistic about the bike i have.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Spend my $13,000 (killer bee)

Ducatis are not even close to being overly complicated, they are really pretty simple. Especially the desmodues. I have never owned a 4 banger so enlighten me if I'm incorrect, but I have always heard that once you know what you are doing ducatis are easier to work on than their jpn counterparts. For one there are 8 less valves, but you do have to check them more often. The l2 configuration has 2 extra cam shafts and pulleys though, I guess. I really haven't had any trouble maintaining my two ducks so far and that includes a 6000 inspection and tons of modding. Of course this board is a huge help with that. Luckly I haven't had to reshim the valves yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

If you are interested in the Aprilla, Look up Toledo East Honda, they have an 04' RSV1000 FACTORY left over for like $13,600!! Great Price for getting the extra factory bits...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Cafe_Racer »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The Aprilia to me is an Italian SP2. It lacks something in sex appeal, but man is it comfy.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The Aprilia is totally sexy even w/ out the girl

Italian bikes rock, plain and simple

If all you are looking for is balls out speed, and cheap parts, why did you ever own the Guzzi? (Gorgeous Machine btw) Buy the RSVR Factory, great package for the money
then use the Aprilia section of speedzilla before Dave shuts er' down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: (drsus)

BMW from my side.. just looks different and in the right hands can go really fast (Boxer cup!)

Euro trash all the way baby

If you want something really special go buy a thrashed buza and order a frame those Eurotrash Harris or spondons and make something unique like this beast

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Re: (Giannis)

If you get a BMW Boxer it already comes with the world biggest (and most expensive) oggy knobs on the side already.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.