Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok...I recently got back from a trip on the bike. I used a GPS which was very helpful. When I have this GPS in any of my vehicles it matches to the speed displayed in the car perfectly. However, on my '04 1000DS the speed is EXACTLY 5mph less than what was reading on the GPS. I have completely stock gearing...

Anyone know why that is? Could it be some factory requirements?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Speedometer Accuracy? (DocThee)

mine reads 8% high. its in the manual. are you 5mph high at all speeds?
this comes up alot.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Speedometer Accuracy? (DocThee)

I use a GPS too...but it shows 4 to 5 miles higher then all my vehicles....and I was told it's a safety buffer for the manufacturers. Plus what type of GPS are your using? The one that we use in the aircraft (ARMY UH-60, and these are military spec) its still plus or minus 2. I was told that a dialed in correctly vehicle speedometer will be much more accurate then a commercial GPS that is available to the public.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Speedometer Accuracy? (BlackHawk)

The GPS I am using is a Garmin 60CS. And yes, I am exactly 5mph higer on my GPS than on my speedo at all speeds.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My 749 is also consistantly 5 mph higher at all speeds. It does not vary. It seems to me that in the manual the 8% was referring to the Tach display when recalling lap times. Specifically, page 17 in the 749/749s owners manual. It states

"The tachometer reads a speed higher than the actual one. on average there is 8% difference. Maximum speed stored on the LCD is the actual speed of the vehicle during the lap concerned."

That is the only reference to 8% I can find in the manual.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts