Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, what the hell. Let's hear it. What's the highest speed you've ever attained on the street while riding a motorcycle? (Try to be honest if you know your speedo is off...)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (AZ Scott)

I topped out a 1985 Ninja 900 and a 1988 Yamaha FZR1000. The Ninja was probably good for 150 and the Yamaha maybe 158 mph. The speedometer on the FZR was close to 170. We used to do this every Saturday night when I lived in south Florida. There would be 50 to 75 sport bikes flying down Krome Avenue. I barely get over a 100 on the street now. It's too dangerous!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (trussdude)

Before I met the track, I topped out my 2003 GSX-R1000 (186mph) for about 5 exits on the Meadowbrook Parkway, Long Island NYC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (Turbo329)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo329 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> . . . I topped out my 2003 GSX-R1000 (186mph) . . .</TD></TR></TABLE>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (lbm00n)

The speedo on my rc51 said 167 but I swear it was more lik 205-206...honest

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (casjoker)

Who knows, on the street?? I topped out a stock RC with nothing but pipes,power commander a 520 conversion with a 15/41 gear and all the normal mods. It would just tickle the rev limiter. Very little drama. Maybe close to 160 but I really do not know as the speedo was not re-calibrated and read something like 175MPH and that is total bullshit. I ran a Hayabusa to the rev limiter in 5th gear As it would not rev out in 6th, still no drama, bike just ran straight and stable. Modern Bikes and tires make top speed blast pretty boring actually. However nearly 30 years ago anything over 120 mph on a bike was pretty adventurous and often quite deadly.

I rode a full faired Kawi 750 H2 that was ported, had 30 mm Lectrons and a reed valve conversion DG Porcupine heads and a knife edge crank. It was stuffed into a gusseted Trackmaster flat track frame with a Cerriani fork running 19" hoops and first generation AP Disc brakes. It ran a top speed that was gear limited of 155 MPH on asphalt. It scared the hell out of me as it would start weaving at 120 mph just as it was coming on the pipe in 4th gear If you short shifted it into 5th at 120 mph it would not get "on the pipe" and would stall right there. You had to let er wind up and grab 5th at about 145mph.

We did this in 1977 on the primary taxi way at Salinas airport We had 7100 feet to get to top speed then shut it down before running out of road. All speeds were calculated on a controlled distance and a stop watch as a radar gun had not been invented yet. At the time the World Record for 0 to 0 in a mile was 160 mph done by a Indy Car in Texas The best we could muster was 125 MPH. Dave Aldana took our bike to Bonneville the next year and ran 172MPH one way but could not back it up as he grenaded the motor down shifting the thing trying to snap it out of a tank slapper on the shut down part of the run. This bike is now part of the Peterson Museum in Southern California. It still has the salt from Daves run stuck to the fairing.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I just found out what my top speed was at Willow Springs at the end of May. 167 on the straight. I have a 02 CBR 954rr with a exhaust. I owned the bike since March but reading someone dying once a day lately I've kept cool till I go to track day's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (TLSer)

148mph I-10 between Tucson and Phoenix about 3 weeks ago, before it was 105 degrees, afraid the tires will melt now+ I don't want the ticket. A guy from the Aprilia forum was claiming 190, but I think his speedo is off, my bike is set up the same way 15/41, and think its good for 170 maybe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (lbm00n)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lbm00n »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Modified by Turbo329 at 12:21 AM 6/16/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (sp2pilot)

Wow Robert, talk about bringing back memories. My first street bike was a Kawasaki triple, not a fire breathing H2 like that thing you describe, but an evil handling triple none the less.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (topgear140)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by topgear140 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> A guy from the Aprilia forum was claiming 190...</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't even think Aprilia's MotoGP bike would do 190!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AZ Scott »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I don't even think Aprilia's MotoGP bike would do 190!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's funny right there, I don't care who ya are LOL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I don't think I've ever "topped out" a bike on the street.

I've hit 140-150 on a few occasions, but never for much more than 5-10 seconds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (Dave)

i have never , ever , ever gone over the posted limit ,,, i hope my C.H.P.
and my local P.D. buddies reads this !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (Dave)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dave »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't think I've ever "topped out" a bike on the street.

I've hit 140-150 on a few occasions, but never for much more than 5-10 seconds.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ditto..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (drthompson65)

i tooped out any bike i rode in Greece from NSR250 to Blackbird all that before they install everywere cameras and start sending tickets by mail

Here in the States toped my ZRX1200 on my way from Oklahoma 150miles/hr
but that's all i dont want to go to jail

Modified by Giannis at 5:42 AM 6/14/2005

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Speaking of Top Speed... (Giannis)

1500m/hr? That's nothing, my old GS 500 would do 1502m/hr easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Living in the 3rd worst traffic region in the country, you will find it difficult to top 90mph. :D

1 - 20 of 57 Posts