Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did anyone notice yesterday from the on board footage of Nicky's bike, how hard the Yamahs pulled away from the Ducati out of the corners? The only way he could keep up was to catch them on the brakes, and on the exit, they would just steamroll and motor away from him. Things that make you go hmmm...

·
ole dirt bastard
998 Posts
yes i saw that,the overhead footage really showed how bad he was being pulled on the straights.
that v4 is a boat anchor!:wtf

·
Registered
4,805 Posts
yes i saw that,the overhead footage really showed how bad he was being pulled on the straights.
that v4 is a boat anchor!:wtf
I love the overhead footage when multiple bikes are in the shot. You get a feel for each bikes strenth, the balls of the riders under braking, and the various lines that work and don't work.

Nothing is as cool as the gyro cam. :rockon

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I really wish that they wouldn't post the winner of the race on the front page of the motogp site. I haven't been able to watch it yet, and now I know who won. fukkers.

No big surprise though I guess :rolleyes:

·
Registered
143 Posts
I really wish that they wouldn't post the winner of the race on the front page of the motogp site. I haven't been able to watch it yet, and now I know who won. fukkers.

No big surprise though I guess :rolleyes:
If you're going there for the videos, there is a "no-spoiler" link. I'll see if I can dig it up and if I find it, I'll post it.

-Bob

·
He with the senior member
5,671 Posts
It's difficult to really know the relative performance of two bikes following each other around a track, because it the relative performance is deceiving when they are accelerating out of corners, due to the timephase between the 2 riders - eg. when one has already started full acceleration and the other is still applying throttle control because he is not yet fully upright, etc. (Or when one had already applied full braking and is slowing down, while the trailing bike has not yet fully applied the brakes, and thus appears to be catching the leading bike or out-braking him, when he really is not. The time gap may well be identical.

THis is a perception issue whenever two bikes are riding one behind the other, and they are accelerating and braking - the bike in front will appear to leap away from the 2nd bike out of each corner or during hard acceleration, but under braking the 2nd bike will appear to outbrake the bike in front and close up the gap.

The difference is due to the difference in speeds at various parts of the track. In reality, the bikes may be CONSTANTLY 1 second apart (or 0.5 second or whatever) but the gap will expand and contract as the speed changes coming out of corners, on the straight, and entering corners under brakes.

I know you guys are fully aware of this, but it's an interesting aspect that some folks may not realize...

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
If you're going there for the videos, there is a "no-spoiler" link. I'll see if I can dig it up and if I find it, I'll post it.

-Bob
I was just looking for the schedule. I guess next time I'll just google that before clicking on the main link. It seems like the last bunch of times I went to the main page over the last couple months, they never had it up on the front page.

Oh well

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's difficult to really know the relative performance of two bikes following each other around a track, because it the relative performance is deceiving when they are accelerating out of corners, due to the timephase between the 2 riders - eg. when one has already started full acceleration and the other is still applying throttle control because he is not yet fully upright, etc. (Or when one had already applied full braking and is slowing down, while the trailing bike has not yet fully applied the brakes, and thus appears to be catching the leading bike or out-braking him, when he really is not. The time gap may well be identical.

THis is a perception issue whenever two bikes are riding one behind the other, and they are accelerating and braking - the bike in front will appear to leap away from the 2nd bike out of each corner or during hard acceleration, but under braking the 2nd bike will appear to outbrake the bike in front and close up the gap.

The difference is due to the difference in speeds at various parts of the track. In reality, the bikes may be CONSTANTLY 1 second apart (or 0.5 second or whatever) but the gap will expand and contract as the speed changes coming out of corners, on the straight, and entering corners under brakes.

I know you guys are fully aware of this, but it's an interesting aspect that some folks may not realize...
Maybe so, but the Duc looks turd slow comming out of the corners compared to the Yamahas. Nicky did an interview over at Cycle world where he stated the new big bang motor was smoother and easier to ride than last years motor, but that it accelerated slower. he said that Laguna has lots of short straights between the corners and that the better acceleration of last year's motor was what he needed. What he was talking about was exactly what I was seeing durring the race when Spies and Rossi were just ahead of him, but within striking distance...

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
Jeez , that fvckin' Hayden is never happy . I WAS a fan , but last year he bitched that the screamer was wild and hard to hook up , so this season they give him a banger and he's still moaning . How the hell did he win the Championship ?! Oh , I remember , Rossi sucked out about his front wheel being loose:eek: and came in to consult with Uccio .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts