Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add some 5.2 SPAL pushers, but don't use scoops. Is this an option or should I get the puller types.

One more question:

Anyone got a link to the thread about adding a fan switch to an SP2? I know it's a bit more complicated I just haven't had a chance to check the manual and see what wires to splice.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have 2 Spal pusher fans and a switch, no scoops. The bike stays around 185 degrees on hot summer days sitting still. I don't think that scoops are necessary, even with the pusher fans.

Eric

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 2 Spal pusher fans and a switch, no scoops. The bike stays around 185 degrees on hot summer days sitting still. I don't think that scoops are necessary, even with the pusher fans.

Eric
That's what's I've heard. Thanks for confirming.

You know what wires to splice on the SP2?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just spent the afternoon figuring out how to manually turn on the left and right fan at the same time it is really easy and most effective, I spliced a wire into the black wire on the fan relay in the tail section there are four wire connected to the relay black/white, blue/green, gray and the one we want.. black. The relay is on the right side or passenger side for you cagers, I ran the spliced wire through the frame up the center of the steering head, I mounted a small switch in the plastic piece that covers the top of the steering head and put the wire on one of the switch connectors, I then ran another wire from the second connector to a bolt on the frame just under the the guages. I let the bike idle to about 200 degrees and then flipped the switch, the temp dropped to 184 in about 45 seconds, should work get in traffic.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i got one on mine...
bike went from slowly over heating to actually keeping below 200* sitting still in +90 florida traffic...
I plan on putting the other one i bought on the other side this winter...
couldn't be happier with the results, and looking forward to even better cooling with the 2nd one in place.

·
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect!
:rockon

Just spent the afternoon figuring out how to manually turn on the left and right fan at the same time it is really easy and most effective, I spliced a wire into the black wire on the fan relay in the tail section there are four wire connected to the relay black/white, blue/green, gray and the one we want.. black. The relay is on the right side or passenger side for you cagers, I ran the spliced wire through the frame up the center of the steering head, I mounted a small switch in the plastic piece that covers the top of the steering head and put the wire on one of the switch connectors, I then ran another wire from the second connector to a bolt on the frame just under the the guages. I let the bike idle to about 200 degrees and then flipped the switch, the temp dropped to 184 in about 45 seconds, should work get in traffic.

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
I'ma gonna do this too.
But WHICH FAN IS BEST? SPAL has a 5.2", a 5.6" and a 6.5". I've got spec sheets on all three. The 5.6" looks out of the question since it is 98mm deep, and the flow sucks too. The 5.2" and the 6.5" both flow about the same but the 6.5" covers more area - not sure which is more efficient. The 6.5" is actually a little less deep than the 5.2", 52mm vs. 60mm. Overall width of the 6.5" is approx. 179mm and the 5.2" is about 140mm. The 6.5" weighs about 800Kg and the 5.2", 410Kg.

I know people are using the 5.2" fan. But what about the 6.5"?

Just found this in another thread, from RVTMaverick (this is for the 5.2" fan)
"When ordering the SPAL fan you should make sure it's the VA31-A101-46S type (part number 3010-3013).
It comes with the standard Sumitomo connector used on Japanese bikes."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts