Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my spal fan last week. I test ran it in the garage up to 225 degrees with no issues. Fan kicked on and kicked off at what seemed to be reasonable intervals. Pushed alot of air and kept the bike cool during the ride, never creeping towards 220. While riding yesterday I got a rubbing noise from down by the fan somewhere around 210. It happened twice, which made me believe something was in the fan. I get home and looked through the bike, the radiator fins within the fan shroud were flattened towards the outer limits. Looking to be pushed down from the fan. When I installed it, it was close to sitting flush on the radiator, but up like 1/8 of an inch. Brackets were fab'd out of aluminum from the OEM mounts and everything was snug with lock nuts on the fan side of the bracket (similar to the install I saw here on speedzilla.) I test ran it again, and could not get it to do it in the garage, up to 225.

Has anyone else had this issue? I plan on trying to straighten the fins when i pull the radiator back off the bike.

·
Registered
947 Posts
no problem here, i just put some foam spacers and secured the fan with those snap tie things that go between the fins

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
Never had an issue with mine. It sits completely flush with the radiator. You didn't remove the little balancing clips off the fan blades did you?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Never had an issue with mine. It sits completely flush with the radiator. You didn't remove the little balancing clips off the fan blades did you?
I'm mounting mine up as we speak, do you have a picture of these balancing clips?

To the original poster if you find out any info to the problem please post up your findings. I should be up in running with my setup this week with the fans mounted completely flush with the radiator.

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I don't have any pics, but they are just tiny little black clips on the edges of the fan blades. They are maybe 2mm wide if that.

They are just there to balance the fans from the factory. They probably don't effect the fan too much and are just there for the longevity of the motor, but I just left them on. I see no reason to remove them unless you mistakenly thought they shouldn't be there.

Oh, and for the op- you might have just picked up a small pebble or something. I did that with my stock fan on the right side. It left some nice flat spots too. Do you have the fan with the little grate that should keep that from happening? There is another model that is much more open than this:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't pulled the bike back apart, but I shoved my phone underneath to grab a picture. You can kinda see the area that's flattened.

No "blade balancers" were on the fan. You can see I fabbed the same style brackets as b.miller, just with a different orientation. The fan never came with that type of cage around the blades and honestly never really noticed it didn't.

The top lock nut is on as far as it would go, because that bracket was different than the others, and I only had those Stainless Steel bolts available at the time. The heads of the bolts were covered by the fan shroud and did not contact the radiator.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any pics, but they are just tiny little black clips on the edges of the fan blades. They are maybe 2mm wide if that.

They are just there to balance the fans from the factory. They probably don't effect the fan too much and are just there for the longevity of the motor, but I just left them on. I see no reason to remove them unless you mistakenly thought they shouldn't be there.

Oh, and for the op- you might have just picked up a small pebble or something. I did that with my stock fan on the right side. It left some nice flat spots too. Do you have the fan with the little grate that should keep that from happening? There is another model that is much more open than this:
When the fan started making the noise I was doing 25mph or so, with no one in front of me. I did think that originally.

·
Registered
947 Posts
mine is the same design as miller's with the guard on it. is yours wired up as a pusher or puller? as a puller i could see the blades sucking in towards the radiator and scraping, but as a pusher, it should push away from the radiator... that's why i don't understand how yours is messing up

double check to make sure it's pushing and not pulling air

·
Member (Large)
2,533 Posts
I would say put some mesh over it but it'd probably be easier to just get one with the grates like mine.

You should see if the blades have enough play to actually contact the radiator, if not then you picked something up and ground it into the radiator. That looks about like my other side does after it picked up a rock or something.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its def a pusher, as it pushes through the radiator. maybe it was a rock or something picked up, just caught me WAY off gaurd as no one has seemed to have such a problem before.

I'll keep this thread updated as I go along, let you know what I find.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have the same fan style as the one pictured. I wired them up and ran them this afternoon as a pushers. Seems to be working just fine so far. I don't see any way possible there would be enough play in the blades to contact the radiator, at least on mine anyway. I'm guessing maybe a foreign object got in there as well. No "blade balancers" were on my fans either.

I haven't pulled the bike back apart, but I shoved my phone underneath to grab a picture. You can kinda see the area that's flattened.

No "blade balancers" were on the fan. You can see I fabbed the same style brackets as b.miller, just with a different orientation. The fan never came with that type of cage around the blades and honestly never really noticed it didn't.

The top lock nut is on as far as it would go, because that bracket was different than the others, and I only had those Stainless Steel bolts available at the time. The heads of the bolts were covered by the fan shroud and did not contact the radiator.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts