Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, as some you may know I am fitting an SPA speedp/tacho to the MH.

I have read thru the instructions front to back(
).....can't believe I did that
, the speedo is supplied with a magnetic pickup to fit to the wheel, I am wanting to utilise the existing pickup on the MH so as to avoid running an extra set of wires etc....less potential problems.

The MH has a magnetic pickup on the front sprocket, I am running the 14/38 combo which gives me a ratio of 2.714 to 1, the pickup is off the two sprocket bolts which means it is receiving two pulses per front sprocket revolution.

I need to enter the tyre circumference based on a 180/55/17 Pilot Power, I have done a goooooooooogle search but can't find anything useful.

I have to divide the tire circumference by the drive ratio to obtain the correct sensor pickup , so my questions are,

Has anyone fitted a SPA dash with more than one trigger point?

Should I select two trigger points and leave my ratio at 2.714 to 1?

Should I make my ratio 5.43 to 1 and select one trigger point?

Does anyone know or have the diameter or radius of a 180/55/17 Pilot Power for calculting the circumference of a 180/55/17?

I am headed in the right direction I am sure of that but to get a little help for the best approach would be cool, TIA

Brain cooked time for a

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: SPA Speedo Fitting.....Need A Little Help Please (Monstaman)

I have not used a SPA tach (almost bought it though),,,I got a MyChron3 dash and had to mount the pickup on the front wheel. I just measured the circ of the tire with a piece of string down the middle...then layed the string out and measured with a tape. BTW, my Pilot Power is 74.825"
Here's a pic of the speedo sensor (on the front wheel...too much trouble trying to mount on the rear!!!)

I think that you might be better using the SPA pickup...may not be able to get it to work with two pulses, but I might be wrong

When in doubt...give SPA a call

Good luck,

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: (tricklidz1)

Oh yeah....nobody seems to know how to get the shift lights to work

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

[IM
G]http://images.snapfish.com/3446262%3B23232%7Ffp46%3Dot%3E2325%3D64%3A%3D827%3DXROQDF%3E232379%3A%3A45549ot1lsi[/IMG]

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thanks tricklidz1, I can't use the pickup as you have done as the MH guard is threaded and the bolts go into that, I could attach another bracket to that but want to avoid it, I like what you have done, that is very good.

Putting another wire and sensor down on the back wheel does not excite me either with chain, crud, crap, birds etc flying around there.

Apparently the SPA can work up to 100 pulses so I am cool with it getting two.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I need to enter the tyre circumference based on a 180/55/17 Pilot Power, I have done a goooooooooogle search but can't find anything useful.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Monstaman,

Sit on your bike and mark the tyre with chalk and the floor ... roll exactly one revolution forward, and then mark the floor again.

Now measure the distance and that will be the tyre circumference, adjusted for your weight. The only variance will be the tyre growth at speed or temperature, thus close enough

As for all the rest ... you lost me with er the rest of your gabble

Pete

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Hi Mate,

You're on the right track. Set to 2 pickup points and divide tyre circ by drive ratio (14/38). Measure tyre circ as described above.

Cheers, Neil

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: SPA Speedo Fitting.....Need A Little Help Please (748rheid)

Thanks man, I thought it seemed right but is nice to reassured I am solid ground.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

tricklidz,

did your mychron come as a kit? or did you have to do naything custom to hook it up to your duc? how much did it cost?

thanks!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: SPA Speedo Fitting.....Need A Little Help Please (doughboy_748r)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doughboy_748r »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">tricklidz,

did your mychron come as a kit? or did you have to do naything custom to hook it up to your duc? how much did it cost?

thanks!</TD></TR></TABLE>
http://www.tsracing.com/store/...TID=5
Got it here.
It's not a kit (plug and play) for a bike..it's for karts...so..some work went into getting it to work.
BUT,,if you want to spend more money,,,,The MyChron3GOLD...is a plu and play unit...for some bikes.
RoadRacingWorld just tested it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tricklidz1 »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh yeah....nobody seems to know how to get the shift lights to work
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Should have read: noboby seem to know how to get the "gear indicator" to work!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I am hooking my oil, low fuel and inducator to those little fellas, hope they do work.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: (Monstaman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monstaman »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am hooking my oil, low fuel and inducator to those little fellas, hope they do work.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Good idea....might work

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I have the instructions etc to do it, looks like chinese to me tho, a mate says he knows what to do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts