Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hellas Addicted RC51
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought a used SP2 swingarm a while back and because it had some marks and scuffs on it, I had it tumble treated.
So now it's in bare aluminium state.

A couple of days ago I gave it a wash, using water pressure to extract the tiny balls from the tumble treatment that are stuck in it and rattle like hell everytime I shake it :frown2:

As I finished with the water, filling the swinger with the hose and shaking it so that the water push those balls out as it exits fromt the rear, after 10 minutes the outer surface of the swingarm started to show black spots where the water drops dried on:frown2:

I used a dish sponge with some detergent and after some soft but painful scrubbing they eventually came off.

But, does that mean that every time I go for a ride and get back home, I have to go through that process all over again each time?

I asked a professional paint shop if they can provide a durable clear coating, that can endure the nature's elements and won't peal off in time and they told me there isn't such a product that they are aware of and they can't guarantee me how long it will stay on before start pealing off.

Remember: no anodizing shops around here and I don't wanna powder coat it black.
I love the bare aluminium look very much.
I also know for a fact, cause I've tried it in the past, that rattle can clear coat varnish won't last long.

So I did a little research on my own about aluminium clear coating.

1) Aurora Alumetron Clear Polymer Coating for Aluminum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skkvba51DNs

What stroke me that this might be actually a good product is this article

Corrosion Treatment Methods | High Grade Aluminum Alloys

2) Oxidized Aluminum Kit For Motorcycles

This one doesn't look bad either but I have my doubts about the long lasting effects of this product.

Any opinions on those two products form anybody?

Right now I think I'll follow the Alumetron solution but can't be 100% sure of the outcome in the long run.

·
Hellas Addicted RC51
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can't you get it powder coated clear?
I have spoken with a couple of professional painters in the area and they cannot guarantee me how mush the varnish powder coating will last.
However they all agree on one thing: it will eventually start peeling off :(

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Start looking for Auto Trim Clear in your part of the world.
Its the best thing I can suggest. You would have to prep it to a certain degree for a clear powder or clear paint.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts