Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I have a dilemma.

I am currently looking into rebuilding my 2005 SP2 and am wanting to get a new exhaust system. Problem is it seems, Akrapovic don't make any for these bikes any more and either do Sato. I have Jardines at the moment which I think are quite good, although damaged so will need to go, these too are looking to be difficult to get hold of.

What are some of my options here? I would like carbon fibre cannisters still. If I exhaust my options (pardon the pun :) ) I will most likely consider a fully locally fabricated exhaust system and mufflers.

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Akrapovic stopped making VTR-SP product about a year or so ago.
There are of course a few available from sellers who stocked up.
Carpi Moto in Italy should have a few available.
If I didn't swear not spend a cent more on the bike for at least six months I would be frantically calling them... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
14,924 Posts
Hi guys. I have a dilemma.

I am currently looking into rebuilding my 2005 SP2 and am wanting to get a new exhaust system. Problem is it seems, Akrapovic don't make any for these bikes any more and either do Sato. I have Jardines at the moment which I think are quite good, although damaged so will need to go, these too are looking to be difficult to get hold of.

What are some of my options here? I would like carbon fibre cannisters still. If I exhaust my options (pardon the pun :) ) I will most likely consider a fully locally fabricated exhaust system and mufflers.

Thanks for any help in advance.

i can supply the mufflers for your custom system

·
Registered
204 Posts
I've often wondered about this issue over the summer. I bought my '04 used from its original owner this year. He swapped the stock pipes for Jardine RT-1 CF low mounts. I was adamant when I bought the bike I was going to get Sato Ti lows for it, but as I started looking was about the time that LDH announced inventory was completely exhausted and emailing retailers still advertising them online resulted in the response of "Oh, we've been out of stock and just haven't pulled the web page on it."

So the Sato search ended and I've decided that I'm happy with the Jardine's. Only issue I have with them is that the carbon fiber is slowly dying on the oustide-facing sides of the canisters. The insides (towards the rear tire) are nice, deeply glossed with the resin coat but the outsides are baked that dry carbon look. I can't tell if engine heat did that, UV exposure, or both.

At any rate, I figured my next set from Jardine, Akra, or whoever would be a Ti set, but now when I read stuff like this I wonder if I shouldn't just go pickup the next "planned" exhaust set for the bike to make sure I've got one. That's the downside of getting into the game four years after manufacturing of the model ceases, it seems. I've got the stock kit I can always hollow out the baffle, but I hate to cut up the OEM's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts