Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my cousins 2000 his tail light dont work but his brake lights do:confused: . Checked fuses and relays and put his light on my bike and it worked.. what could the problem be :banghead

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Not a fuse, since tail light is fused together with the meter.
So it's probably the light switch. Try (carefully) opening the LH switch and clean everything with contact cleaner. Or simply squirt as much WD40 in as you can. ;)
Failing that you should check for the brown wire running from the aforementioned switch directly to the tail light.

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
On my cousins 2000 his tail light dont work but his brake lights do:confused: . Checked fuses and relays and put his light on my bike and it worked.. what could the problem be :banghead
Sounds like the running-light filament in the taillight bulb broke because its much more thin and fragile than the brake-light filament.

The rumble of the big-twin and time is all it takes.
I went through about 10 taillight bulbs before I upgraded to LED replacements. :twocents

Stunna

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.. Somehow the filiments broke between testing it on my bike and putting it on his:confused: where do you get the LEDS?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I got mine from Libertek.
Then I got the undertail to put them in from Hotbodies, the turnsignal integrator from M.D. Wright, Inc., the LED flasher relay on Ebay, one-off mounting plates by my friend Wingnutt. Then I did the wiring using all OEM connectors. No more burnt out taillights or ugly turn signals for me! :D

·
Big Thymer
2,100 Posts
I got mine from Libertek.
Then I got the undertail to put them in from Hotbodies, the turnsignal integrator from M.D. Wright, Inc., the LED flasher relay on Ebay, one-off mounting plates by my friend Wingnutt. Then I did the wiring using all OEM connectors. No more burnt out taillights or ugly turn signals for me! :D
THAT'S how the F you wire things!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok...I got all the lights working..He rode today and the tail lights and brake lights stopped working... :confused: Is there a fuse just for that or does it sound like a relay problem? Thanks again

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Ok...I got all the lights working..He rode today and the tail lights and brake lights stopped working... :confused: Is there a fuse just for that or does it sound like a relay problem? Thanks again
Thats confusing, could you take a few pics of the filiments in the tailight bulbs that are giving you problems? Cause it a filament breaks, its cant repair itself so I say start there.

TLRSkunk, the plate was mounted to the plastic battery tray/OEM undertail as far back as possible while still being "visable."

Stunna

·
Registered
6,304 Posts
ARE THOSE SCRATCES ON YOUR SWINGER ?:rolleyes:

Plugs sent to your bud and socket and file are on the way.

Pics tonight I promise:eek:

Sorry to jack :eek:

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
As I said before tail light is fused together with meter. If the meter also stops working, you have a blown fuse.
Remove the bulbs (two minutes job) and check if they are blown or still sound. It may be down to excessive vibration though a single ride wouldn't be enough to destroy both filaments on both bulbs unless you are extra unlucky.
Mind that rear tail light is a pretty simple affair: there are just three wires going in. Brown (lights), green/yellow (stop) and solid green (ground). Given the fact that both lights and brakes have stopped working I would say check the green wire: it's a line going into the indicator relay, cannot miss it. maybe it's worn or broken.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks..Im going to look at it Friday. I spent all weekend cleaning up the previous owners butcher wiring job so I need a break from it.:cool: He had a trailer wiring harness wired into it going to nothing..just made a loop:confused:

And Stunna... That RC is GORGEOUS

·
Registered
204 Posts
Too bad I can't find any of those Liberteks to replace the crap LED's in my Hotbodies. Those were the lights from CBR400RR, right?

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Too bad I can't find any of those Liberteks to replace the crap LED's in my Hotbodies. Those were the lights from CBR400RR, right?
Ya, Libertek was a canadian company that went out of business a number of years go. I have only ever seen one other pair for sale and they were black aluminum installed in a different undertail that was for sale used.

No, Scott sold his own version of replacement LED's but they were very different from the liberteks.

Stunna

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Stunna-

Are you using DZUS fasteners on your undertail? Any issues with mounting them?

BTW, the bike looks very clean:rockon
Yes those are DZUS fasteners on the undertail, I also replaced the bottom clips on the lower front fairing with DZUS. No issues with either, just need to bend the backs of the mounting plates to accommodate the different mounting surface depths.

Thanks for the compliment, but thats an old pic.
Its been "under-construction" for over a year now, but should be complete soon. :rockon

Stunna

1 - 20 of 21 Posts