Speedzilla Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the SP1 & SP2 swingarms the same? I thought there was a difference but am unsure?? Anyone?

Thanks

·
ole dirt bastard
998 Posts
yes there are differences.

sp2 arm is lighter and slightly longer.
sp1 arm has a larger diameter pivot.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yes, there are differences. The main difference between the SP-1 and SP-2 swingarm is that guys with SP-2's will never stop reminding guys with SP-1''s how much better the newer swingarm is. Otherwise, both will keep the rear wheel on the bike the same way; and both will help the bike go like stink around turns. Otherwise you won't notice a difference on the street or the track. SP-2 swingarm is cooler looking though.

·
Shane RC51
889 Posts
Yes, there are differences. The main difference between the SP-1 and SP-2 swingarm is that guys with SP-2's will never stop reminding guys with SP-1''s how much better the newer swingarm is. Otherwise, both will keep the rear wheel on the bike the same way; and both will help the bike go like stink around turns. Otherwise you won't notice a difference on the street or the track. SP-2 swingarm is cooler looking though.

+1

That's pretty much my take on it. Maybe Nicky Hayden can tell the difference between SP1 and SP2 swingarms, but aside from the cool factor, I HIGHLY doubt anyone here can HONESTLY tell the difference. Of course, that doesn't mean that I'm not gonna swap to the newer swinger at some future date! :woot:

·
Registered
582 Posts

just letting you know the sp2 swinger is sooooo much better

lol jk :)

·
Registered
345 Posts
I thought there was a length difference to? I don't know.... I was blessed with a SP2 so I'm gonna say mines cooler than yours :woot: ..... but I have track ridden a sp1 with a stock swinger, and then the same sp1 swapped to a sp2 swinger and couldn't find a difference personally, but my buddy said he could feel a huge difference on corner exit traction.. :rolleyes:

I thought some one told me that the swingers on the sp1's where longer, and the frame was shorter, but the sp2's the swinger was shorter and the frame was lengthend to make up the difference.... but thinking about it I think it was a salesman that told me that..... IDK
later
joe

·
Registered
3 Posts
16 mm longer
I see what you did there. Take the pitch of the chain (16mm) and assume that matches the change in length which is not necessarily true.

I realise it's an old thread, but I'd like to re-visit this Swing-Arm length topic. I have an SP-2 S/A on the bike and an SP-1 S/A loose on the bench and the best I can measure them, with axle in the middle of the adjustment for both is a 10mm difference. This means that the longer chain of the SP-2 means the axle naturally sits further back in its slots than on the SP-1 and indeed this is how I remember it.

I'd like to get a good measurement of the SP-2 S/A with it off the bike, but not possible for me right now. If anyone is still interested in this and has an SP-2 S/A loose on the bench, please measure the length so we can get a more definitive answer as I really do not believe it is 16mm longer than the SP-1.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, The weight is certainly light, but it doesn't change much.
In addition to the difference in length and pivot, the presence or absence of a dent for passing the exhaust pipe is a major point.

It is popular to change the swing arm of SP1 to SP2 for the purpose of this dent, but it is necessary to change the surrounding parts in addition to the already expensive swing arm, and I do not feel the benefit that is worth the investment.
It's better to choose an exhaust for the SP1 swing arm than to do that.
Acra, Moriwaki, Yamamoto etc were sold for SP2 with almost no change in the exhaust for SP1, and I think that the swing arm of SP2 is not necessary except for making SPW style exhaust by LBP product or self-made.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts