Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any success with a local shop lacing up supermoto rims?

I bought new Excel rims for my bike and my shop cannot make them work. There should be no problem: I had 17 x 3.5" and 17 x 5.0" Behrs, and I bought Excels in the same size to lace to my stock hubs and spokes. My shop is telling me the spokes are too short to get the correct offsets. I'm guessing they are lacing them up wrong somehow, but I'm not sure how. East Coast Wheels says the stock spokes should work just fine. They also offered to lace the rims up for me for free if I send them back to them, which is nice, but I don't want to wait 2 to 3 more weeks including shipping time to get my wheels back.

Any suggestions from anyone? I'm desperate....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Someone please help - any good St. Louis area supermoto wheel builders? (backdrifter)

Have you got pics of your rims before they were delaced? I took the wheels apart on my KTM & had the hubs & rims powdercoated, when they were done, I sat on the floor in my house & used a buddy's spare wheels (identical to mine, OEM KTM) as a reference. I had both wheels relaced & hand tightened & (very) roughly trued in less than an hour. I think I ended up paying $100 to have them tightened & trued by someone who knew what they were doing (I gave tem the offsets I needed). Looking back on it, if I had a dial indicator & base for it I could have done than part in my vise, but I'd bet it would have taken a few hours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Someone please help - any good St. Louis area supermoto wheel builders? (Jacka$$)

I have a few pics of them, but I don't know how I'll get it right if a shop that does rim lacing can't seem to. I just don't understand what could be wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Someone please help - any good St. Louis area supermoto wheel builders? (backdrifter)

Doesn't make sense to me either. You said that your original rims were Behr, right? You got a KTM? If so, some of these pics might help.

The only possible scenerio that I can think of would be if the holes on the Excel rims are offset from the rim center farther than the ones on the Behr's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Someone please help - any good St. Louis area supermoto wheel builders? (Jacka$$)

I'm picking up the rims, tires and bike (with no wheels on it) from the shop tonight. I'll give it a shot, hell, I've got nothing to lose. If I can't figure it out, everything is getting shipped back to E.C.W. to have them assemble them, in which case I'll probably (realistically) be out of a bike for another month.

Damn, this really sucks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

If you get totally flustered working on it, gimmie a call. I may, or may not, be able to lend some assistance. My cell # is in my profile.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the offer. I didn't get that message until this morning, after I took a look at them, but I've decided just to ship them back anyway. I don't want to scratch them up, so I'll let the pros take care of it. The local shop charged me $195.00 for not being able to get the job done. Their excuse was that the original spokes can't be used, so they charged me for all the labor it took for them to fail. Once E.C.W.'s laces them up with the very same spokes, I'm going to go back and demand my money back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts