Speedzilla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My morning paper carried an article about a 19 year old killed when he crashed his brothers Suzuki into the side of a building, head on in a parking lot. He was unlicensed and not wearing a helmet. So my whats my point?
My point is that the death of loved one is a terrible price to pay when trying to teach someone to ride. The MSF Rider course is a great way to shrink the learning curve and for a few hundred bucks imparts a tremendous amount of information as it gets you started. I am not saying take the course and you won't crash, but there is much info provided that genrally may not even be a consideration to the self taught. There are probably a zillion guys out there who are self taught, and I'm not aiming this at them, but for my money the MSF course is the way to go. Anyone I have talked to who has taken the course never once said, "Boy did that suck, I didn't learn a thing".
I'm a funeral director and often have the unfortunate duty of burying young men who die from similar circumstances. Sorry if this offends anyone, not my intent, but I had to say it.
Fran

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Some thoughts for what they are worth. (sb748)

wow, that is terrible
My brother and I are self taught, though I wish we'd have been able to get into a class (probably the reason half these people are self taught- the only available classes are a year ahead, I've even tried to go back and take one but no dice) And, of course we both dropped our bikes numerous times doing maneuvers, and he even crashed. Nothing major, but damn, it's still dangerous on an EX500. We did get our licenses before street riding though. Scary stuff and I hope it makes new riders think twice about just hitting the streets.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Some thoughts for what they are worth. (Monster Man)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Monster Man »</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> We did get our licenses before street riding though. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Funny you say that, why is it so accepted by novice riders (especially older ones) that they don't need a license to ride? Would they also climb up in a road tractor and drive it too? The MSF course is very good, I insisted my wife take it when she wanted to learn how to ride. I'm a self taught, lots of reading , some racing, school of hard knocks member that has happened to survive for several decades. I did feel good though when she told me every single thing they said in the class she had heard me say before, she said it was like taking the class twice.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Sad story indeed.

I'd never claim to be the safest or best rider around, but I do consider myself better than average. Only because I took MSF 1 & 2, then took the advice of a motorcylce shop owner who suggested I go to the track to learn more. We were discussing my addiction to saftey shortly after I took up the sport, and he told me I needed to take it to the track. I told him I had no aspirations of becoming a racer, as I was a husband, father, and forty-something year old. None the less, I did end up going to the track, and haven't stopped since - about 9 or 10 years now.

It boggles my mind to see the dumb $hi* riders doing! Obviously they've never taken the MSF or are too boneheaded to apply the habits & rules that could keep them alive.

A collegue at my office came to me complaining his 18 y/o wanted a 'crotch rocket' and he wasn't keen at all of the idea. So I drafted a little quiz and challenged him: If your son aces the quiz, you should let him buy the bike. No trick questions whatsoever - just things that happen frequently that many riders don't have a clue on.

Kid didn't get the bike.

New riders: Get yourself into an MSF. Live life. A more proficient rider is a safer rider. (Not to mention a lot faster)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

P.S. You could train a monkey to go fast on a motorcycle in a straight line!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I totally agree with you. Personally, I feel the MSF course - or a similar course should be manditory for any person who want to obtain a motorcycle license regardless of age.

Unfortunately, there's a "let's get down to riding" attitude that makes people want to start riding right now without learning the basics. I was like that when I first started riding at 15. When I took the MSF at 15.5, I didn't realize how poor my skills were.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed. I am, self taught. I've taken the MSF Experienced Rider Course twice over the last 5 years though. I can remember teaching my lil brother to ride in empty lots, watching him wheelie while trying to get a handle on things..... and hoping he wouldn't trash my bike! We were lucky. I'd recommend the schooling for anyone looking to learn to ride now.
gregc

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wouldn't mind seeing the quiz either. Please post it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: (drnknmnky13)

Yeah, come on post it, I promise we won't call you Stuman.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Posting the quiz

I'd be happy to post the quiz if someone can instruct me where I can do so without chewing up a big slice of this board. Upload somewhere like photos? I know, dumb me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts